Mysterious Rash 10 days AFTER bumping a reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDawn10

Reaction score
# of dives
Was diving off Fowl Cay in the Abacos on February 17th and a swell pushed me close to the reef and I brushed my right knee and calf against the reef. Small scrapes, nothing major. The scrapes healed almost completely and then Sunday night, the
27th, my leg is itching and when I look down, I now have raised , red, itchy whelps in the exacts spots where I had the scratches from bumping the reef. I talked with my dive buddy and he has the same. It took almost 10 days for these to appear. Anyone have any idea of what I may have touched ?

I'm not sure but I had the very same thing happen to me a couple of times. No big deal as the rash went away after several days. It kinda itched so I put something on it for that. I remember looking it up one time but forgot what I found out about it. I'll see if I can look it up again.

Could it be fire coral? I've learned different people react differently. I break out in a rash that resembles poison ivy and for me only a round or 2 of oral steroids clears it completely. Primary buddy has little (itching) to no reaction and another buddy gets a bit of a rash that clears after about 5 - 7 days.

Once had light brush with coral, and days later turned red, then showing signs of infection. Needed the right antibiotics to resolve, and this was determined only after submitting sample for analysis. Can be quite nasty.

Know little about this, but it results from tiny pieces of living coral embedded in the skin. DAN [Divers Alert Network] can give more info.

Hello ScubaDawn,

It could indeed be fire coral. Do you remember what the reef looked like where you touched it?
Check the below links from DAN:

DAN Divers Alert Network

DAN Divers Alert Network

I would seek doctor's advice if symptoms persist.

I'm not a doctor, but I do want to raise three questions as part of the diagnosis you are working on.

Do you have any any allergies that has caused red, itchy, welts on your skin?
Have you ever had psoriasis?
You said the rash occurred where you touched the coral. Did the rash occur ONLY on the site where you touched the coral? If you're not sure, that's fine.

psoriasis?

From DAN:

Q: When I was diving two weeks ago, I inadvertently brushed up against a reef and apparently came in contact with a type of stinging coral. As soon as I got out of the water I noticed that I had a few small cuts and scrapes on the outside of my left wrist and forearm. Later that evening, I felt an itching and burning sensation around the affected skin. It became red and tender to touch. I washed it with soap and hot water, which actually seemed to help. However, the redness, itching and burning lasted for three to four days. The local doctor prescribed a steroid cream twice a day, and everything seemed to heal during the next four or five days.

Since I returned from my dive trip, the redness and itchy skin sensation have come back. The area is uncomfortable and not that pleasant to look at. I've never had trouble with any marine life before, so I am unsure if this reaction is to be expected or if this is unusual. Do I need special care?

Sound close to your problem?

Here's part of the reply:

It is not uncommon for the rash, itching and burning to recur after these symptoms have resolved initially because tiny, microscopic fragments of living coral can remain in the wound. In addition, a cyclic immune response (redness, inflammation, itching, and swelling, itching or burning) can persist for a few weeks after the incident.

Treatment for the inflammatory response is symptomatic. Steroid creams are rarely helpful, and they can prolong a skin infection. If the inflammation is severe, systemic steroids in a moderate, tapering dose may be administered under the supervision of a trained medical provider. Oral antihistamines can sometimes, but not always, help reduce the itching or burning sensation.

And here's their best advice:

When underwater, try to avoid contact with coral or any other living creature. Whenever possible, wear a wetsuit or diveskin to protect yourself during those times when you are pushed into coral by another diver or by a current.

Calling DAN is going to be your best bet. There can be a lot of critters in that little scrape.

Calling DAN is going to be your best bet. There can be a lot of critters in that little scrape.
None of which they will be able to identify over the phone. It seems like treatment is symptomatic, anyway, so identifying the culprit is largely an academic exercise. They can, however, probably direct you to a physician who is better qualified to treat the condition.

Back
Top Bottom