Myakka Deep Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1amphibian:
Ok just checking but the last time I was on the Myakka river, it was almost possible to walk from one side to the other on the backs of the gators..not a place I'm really seeing as a great swimming hole.. Are you sure you want to dive this area??

Hey, you gotta epect losses! I figure if there are at least two of us I got a 50/50 chance of not being gator bait!! bobsea

I'm not into the destruction of any aquatic environment, but this dive would have to be proceeded by the dropping of a few grenades...just to clear the area..

Chris

1amphibian:
I'm not into the destruction of any aquatic environment, but this dive would have to be proceeded by the dropping of a few grenades...just to clear the area..

Chris

Ideally, it should be done in the winter when the gators are not so active. I want to go kayaking down the river anyway and if it looked too dangerous, I wouldn't attempt a dive there. I know of people who regularly fish the deep hole from canoes and kayaks and are not bothered by gators. I think if you stayed well away from shore and over deep water during the dive, it should be ok. Believe me, it has been at the forefront of my mind while planning the dive. My biggest concern would be the areas where we may have to portage around spots that are too shallow. I'm going to keep checking the river level by calling the ranger station periodically. And I'll probably make a recon trip down the river to the hole before actually diving it just to check the feasibility of it.

I would be interested in a predive survey also. Additionally, I have another very experienced dive buddy that has some experience in dving these deep holes and he is interested also. We both have kayaks and can take off during the week if that works for you. Keep me posted. bobsea43

I was camping there in November of 2002, very cold, like down into the 20's at night, went canoeing during the day, there were tons of gators out there, now they didn't seem interested in us, and the people we were with even flipped their canoe when a 9 footer jumped toward them( it was there fault however) and although two gators went in the water with them, they didn't bother them even though my friend who is 6"5' and upwards of 300lbs was standing on the big one.

So when it's cold, they are less inclined, but I would still be very careful.

And would still consider a couple of grenades as Save-A-Dive items, but then again, there always in my Save-A-Dive kit...

Chris

1amphibian:
And would still consider a couple of grenades as Save-A-Dive items, but then again, there always in my Save-A-Dive kit...

I think I'd add a .357 or a 44 mag in my save-a-dive kit.

Hey Diversolo you still interested in this expedition? Or do you want to wait until later in the year. I will be gone Jun-Aug, but May looks open, maybe a survey trip!! Let me know if you are contemplating it in May!
bobsea43

bobsea43:
Hey Diversolo you still interested in this expedition? Or do you want to wait until later in the year. I will be gone Jun-Aug, but May looks open, maybe a survey trip!! Let me know if you are contemplating it in May!
bobsea43

Yes, I'm still interested. Sometime in May sounds good. The wife's out of town first weekend on business and I've got the kids. Anyother time should be good. What does your calendar look like?

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, but it got moved to that dark shadowy area that we in the LESSER Tampa Bay area seldom venture.:rofl3:

Well the 12th & 19th don't work for me and we are leaving town for the summer about 25 May. With a little advance notification (several days) I can do it during the week most of the time, even thogh 1 & 7 May are not available to me.

We are considering taking the RV to Mayakka St Park for a few days in early Jun, but that is contingent on some other undetermined travel plans after 25 May.

Lets see what we can do!

bobsea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom