Myakka Deep Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the area of Lower Myakka Lake known as Deep Hole in the Myakka River State Park. All I've been able to find out from published accounts is that it has fairly recently(1980's?) been determined to be around 150 feet deep and has rocky sides typical of other sinkholes. Prior to that, it was thought to be a bottomless pit according to popular legend.(Myakka P.J. Benshoff 2002 Pineapple Press)

Has anyone ever heard of someone diving there? My thought is that it must be geologically related to Warm Mineral Springs and Little Salt Springs, both of which are less than 12 miles away and have been shown to be unique in the depth of the aquifer from which they are fed.

I'd love to dive it if it is feasible. Access to it shouldn't be that much of a problem. By kayak, it looks to be about 2.5 miles South of the SR72 bridge put in and perhaps even shorter if a more Southerly put in can be accessed from inside the park.

Anybody up for an adventurous dive?:D

I believe that Sheck Exley and a few of the exploratory team folk lke him have been down in that back in that time. Generally speaking the Myakka river is very tanisin water.

CBulla:
I believe that Sheck Exley and a few of the exploratory team folk lke him have been down in that back in that time. Generally speaking the Myakka river is very tanisin water.

Colin, have you seen any specific references to Deep Hole in any of Sheck's books? There are some I haven't read yet, but it seems like any exploration of it would show up in some form in a web search or in recent history of the Myakka. So far after researching all I can find in the Florida reference section at the library and on the web, the only thing I can find is when a camera was lowered in it sometime in the 80's to prove it wasn't the "bottomless pit" of cracker legend. No mention is made of who actually did it, tho.

In "The Cave Divers" by Robert F. Burgess, there is a chapter on Bill Royal's exploration of Warm Mineral and Little Salt Springs and his famous discovery of paleo indian remains, but no mention of the similar (my comparison) sinkhole of Deep Hole despite it's very close proximity.

Also the tannin should start to clear the deeper you go if there is any outflow at all. If they were able to obtain video passable enough to discern the bottom and walls back in the 80's, the vis should be a few feet at least.

diversolo:
Colin, have you seen any specific references to Deep Hole in any of Sheck's books? There are some I haven't read yet, but it seems like any exploration of it would show up in some form in a web search or in recent history of the Myakka. So far after researching all I can find in the Florida reference section at the library and on the web, the only thing I can find is when a camera was lowered in it sometime in the 80's to prove it wasn't the "bottomless pit" of cracker legend. No mention is made of who actually did it, tho.

No.. this was passed on to me by Carl Fowler (he's mentioned in Shecks book Caverns Measureless to Man) as one of his dive buddies in the early days up in north florida (Fowlers Hell Hole is named after him). He was already living down here in the Ft Myers area and had mentioned diving it to Sheck who said "its your hole without all the branches" - of course, that was 2 years ago I talked to Carl about that and it was way back before that he talked to Sheck about that spot.

Carl is an interesting dude... :)

Hey, diversolo, I have been wanring to kayak trhe Myakka River and this deephole dive really sounds like an interesting dive (or urban legend). If you decied to do it and want company let me know!! bobsea

bobsea43:
Hey, diversolo, I have been wanring to kayak trhe Myakka River and this deephole dive really sounds like an interesting dive (or urban legend). If you decied to do it and want company let me know!! bobsea

Heck yeah...let's put together a plan and do it. When does it look good for you? Taking a day off during the week would be best for me, but if you can only get away on weekends, I can plan accordingly. I need to check into launch sites on the South side of SR72, so that would put us closer to the hole. I'll try and run by the park and get some info tomorrow since I need to drive up to Bradenton anyway.

I can be pretty flexible time wise. Will be tied up week of 23 April helping my 4 month old new granddaughter and her handlers (aka parents) move into Jax but with some advace notification can usually get free during the week. Today a couple of us are going down to Boynton to dive and one of the guys may be interested in this. He dives the cenotes (sp?) in Mexico frequently. I expcet he will be interested. Late Apr or earley May looks good to me - we will be gone most of the summer! PM me and I will send my regular e-mail. bobsea

Ok just checking but the last time I was on the Myakka river, it was almost possible to walk from one side to the other on the backs of the gators..not a place I'm really seeing as a great swimming hole.. Are you sure you want to dive this area??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom