My wife's and my primary regs both freeflowed at same time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 72 years old, the wife slightly younger.

We didn't want to put our BCD/tank on while on shore because the swell was going to knock us over. We didn't want to walk backwards with fins on. We wanted to carry our kit past the breakers and put our kit on in the water.

I'm 72 years old, the wife slightly younger.

We didn't want to put our BCD/tank on while on shore because the swell was going to knock us over. We didn't want to walk backwards with fins on. We wanted to carry our kit past the breakers and put our kit on in the water.

That makes sense...
Idea #2. Place both regs in a small stuff sack (mask bag?) that has a drawstring to pull tight. Might keep the sand out and easy to pocket during the dive.

Best wishes, Kevin

All regulator and inflater problems that I have seen have been from debris, almost always sand. Small sample size, I know.

If I freeflow at the surface, I put two fingers over the mouthpiece and dip the regulator in the water mouthpiece facing down

When it is cold I make sure to adjust the knobs on my regulator to reduce the change of free flow

EDIT: I realised only now that you mentioned that you don’t have any adjustment knobs

Thanks. Two people have suggested putting either your tongue or two fingers into the mouthpiece to stop a freeflow. I am interested to know how that works.

Thanks. Two people have suggested putting either your tongue or two fingers into the mouthpiece to stop a freeflow. I am interested to know how that works.
These pages might help

Freeflow - Wikipedia

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-tips-dealing-with-a-regulator-free-flow/amp/

If your freeflow is not due to ice, it might be due to debris or due to the Venturi effect.

Some regulators use the Venturi effect so that the air released helps to keep the valve open so it is easier to breathe.

If your freeflow is due to the Venturi effect, blocking the exit will increase the pressure and close the valve.

Thanks for the suggestion. One more bit of information... I tried breathing through my freeflowing regulator and it breathed ok. Whenever I stoped inhaling it continued to freeflow while the reg was in my mouth. After a few minutes started working ok. Lost about 75 bar of air in several minutes.

I had this issue with a new 1st stage when air was cold (around 0 C) and cooling the regulator already before diving. Dive shop told that on factory settings the middle pressure is too high and causes easy freezing.

Sounds a lot like sand or something got in them. Another way to stop a free flow is to move the reg with it out of your mouth very quickly in the direction of the mouthpiece. Kind of a swatting motion. This can also help to dislodge sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom