My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Background: I have the XS Scuba Highlander shorts with velcro flaps. I am sidemount with a couple of ponies slung under me (shoulder and hip D-rings).

Challenge: Get into the short pocket and pull out the backup mask.

Problem: because of the ponies, I cannot get my arm and hand into position to have leverage to pull open the pocket flap.

Finally, something that worked - unclip the top ring of the pony, and let it drop away. Then I can get in to the pocket and jerk the blinking thing open, and pull out the mask. Once mounted and cleared, I can just reclip the pony.

Issues I can see: If I'm in a restricted environment, I am dropping the pony top into whatever muck, silt, or coral is about. The 2nd stage is clipped to the pony top.

Ideas?

I'm doing my final two cert dives for my AN/DP. My instructor has agreed to two bottles for training's sake. I've done all my dives with two.

Have you done your dives yet? How did the sidemount off the boat go?

Have you done your dives yet? How did the sidemount off the boat go?

No, last two dives still pending. March trip canceled (No OW students to round out the trip.)

Mid April weekend, now. :praying: Please, may the water be warmer!

I'm confident of executing the skills . . . I would like to do so with some finesse, however. :chuckle:

Background: I have the XS Scuba Highlander shorts with velcro flaps. I am sidemount with a couple of ponies slung under me (shoulder and hip D-rings).

Challenge: Get into the short pocket and pull out the backup mask.

Problem: because of the ponies, I cannot get my arm and hand into position to have leverage to pull open the pocket flap.

Finally, something that worked - unclip the top ring of the pony, and let it drop away. Then I can get in to the pocket and jerk the blinking thing open, and pull out the mask. Once mounted and cleared, I can just reclip the pony.

Issues I can see: If I'm in a restricted environment, I am dropping the pony top into whatever muck, silt, or coral is about. The 2nd stage is clipped to the pony top.

Ideas?

If you're in a restrictive environment, like a cave, you will either not have your pony bottles with you or you deal with it. If it's a mask you're trying to get to it's likely you won't have any visibility in that restrictive environment anyway so you can just wait until you get into a larger area. If it's something else you anticipate needing, get it out before you get in there.

As for the reel, have you ever looked at any of the cave diving history books and seen the reels they used to use in the 70s?? :shocked2:

If you're in a restrictive environment, like a cave, you will either not have your pony bottles with you or you deal with it. If it's a mask you're trying to get to it's likely you won't have any visibility in that restrictive environment anyway so you can just wait until you get into a larger area. If it's something else you anticipate needing, get it out before you get in there.

It's for a lost mask drill . . . I have to give up my mask, and get on the backup. So, no anticipation. Sorry I don't have a video, I forgot to put the card back in. :doh:

As for the reel, have you ever looked at any of the cave diving history books and seen the reels they used to use in the 70s?? :shocked2:

Whoa . . . that is a piece of history!

It's for a lost mask drill . . . I have to give up my mask, and get on the backup. So, no anticipation. Sorry I don't have a video, I forgot to put the card back in. :doh:

So you should be able to get to it with no problem. You shouldn't be doing your deco training in an overhead environment without already being overhead trained, so you shouldn't be in a restrictive area.

Hey, no comments from the peanut gallery!!! . . . Where's the pics of your rig and the new wing???? :D
Ask, and Ye shall receive! It's all I have so far worth taking pics of. :)
IMG00216-20110327-1933.jpg

IMG00214-20110327-1932.jpg

IMG00215-20110327-1933.jpg

So you should be able to get to it with no problem. You shouldn't be doing your deco training in an overhead environment without already being overhead trained, so you shouldn't be in a restrictive area.

Thinking of the long term, like a wreck dive or something?

Working in the "train as you will fight" attitude. I don't want to find something that works now, and then have to change it later.

You just want to see a video so you can laugh at me! :(

Believe me, if you need something out of that pocket, you will figure out a way to get it, even in sidemount. Rob made me put my deco notes in my pocket and retrieve them on ascent, in a restricted area. You can get pretty flexible when the need arises. :D

Getting to it. . . yeah, I can . . . .

I just would like to do so with some modicum of control . . . not look like a dog tugging the leash rapped around its hind leg, rolling over on its head . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom