My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hm: I don't know, all you cold water divers look the same . . . :cold:

:chuckle:

:hm: I don't know, all you cold water divers look the same . . . :cold:

:chuckle:
Well it wouldn't look any different if it were the summer, I would still be in the drysuit, I would still be wearing a hood, and still wearing gloves. The only difference would be the water would be over 60 degrees. :D

Y'know, I have posted a lot about class, and tried to do so humorously while imparting just how many things we did. While I don't think anyone took this as one big joke, there may be someone, so let me make this clear --

I learned so much, on EACH dive, that I have run out of room on each page of my log book. That many items. From the changes to the rig (measurements, fixed ring, repositioning), to the movement and adjustments of the cambands and cam clips, to the bungee adjustments and positioning. Then the hoses, how to run them, deploy them more efficiently, promoting awareness of which reg you're on when, where are your hoses . . . Bend your knees more, position the clips so . . .

And that is all just the first dive, on the first day.

Every day, every dive was like that, and I took home videos to review and make notes about. Yes, sometimes to giggle and sometimes to :fear:

I wish I'd been in better shape as far as my anterior deltoids, lats, and obliques were concerned, and as for the hands . . . Heeee, I didn't need to open that bottle, anyway. :D

Jax,

Thank you for taking us along with you on your journey. The humour and fun of the posts are great, and something that is quite refreshing on the Internet.

It sounds like you learned a lot and continued to improve every day. Which is exactly why we take courses. If we were all bad ass and squared away going into the class, what's the point?

After reading your reports, I want to dive with you.

All the best!

This was just the first day -- so look back at some of the pool videos. :D

Noreastdiver84, how are you finding the sidemount setup for shore diving? Are you gearing up on land, or in the water?

Good Question!

I carry my tanks in a bit, until they are at least underwater. I'll kneel, if necessary, to not bear the full weight. I do not know how that might work on rocky or surgy shores.

Noreastdiver84, how are you finding the sidemount setup for shore diving? Are you gearing up on land, or in the water?
I have dropped my tanks on the shoreline and clipped in on a bulkhead before, this time I clipped them in on the tailgate of my truck and walked in. I think that even with my lp112's I will clip them in on the tailgate and walk in. I usually have a short walk so it doesn't bother me. I will get some more practice with this in Bonaire this June.

Good -- I'll be quite curious as to your take on them with Bonaire's ocean water and rocky entries.

Back
Top Bottom