My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:thumb:

The only problem I have is coordinating leave and work . . . :shakehead:

Well, that and the exposure protection for those cold-azz waters Dive-aholic likes to play in!
You are not the only one who has a hard time coordinating time off, I don't find any waters South of me to be too cold, and if I do, that is why I have a drysuit.

:thumb:

The only problem I have is coordinating leave and work . . . :shakehead:

Well, that and the exposure protection for those cold-azz waters Dive-aholic likes to play in!

Well compared to here the temps are positively tropical!

68 degrees isn't too bad but much less then that you won't catch me in the water(I dive wet).
I have been through Robs ow sidemount course and he had me trimmed out way faster then I would have thought. By the end of the course it looked like I had been in sidemount for a while or at least I thought so.
Just having video and an extra pair of eyes and hands makes it a lot easier to get everything in the ballpark.

Just having video and an extra pair of eyes and hands makes it a lot easier to get everything in the ballpark.

Exactly!

Cold?? 68 degrees is not cold. 67 on the other hand... :wink:

Thanks for the kind words shoredivr and mrmccoy!

I have been reading your blog. I took a Sidemount class from Paul Murphy (Texas). The reason for the intro class was to determine what method I wanted to do my Tec training...SM or Traditional (Back Doubles). I have opted to do Tec in SM.

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned issues with the sizing/length of the bungee cords (chocker cords). I am fairly broad. Regardless of the standard lengths offered by Dive Rite Nomad or the Hollis SMS, it can feel like a constrictor as the valves start digging into my ribs. Simple solution is to place a double ender as a spacer between the snaps of the two chockers in front of your chest. This will give you an extra 4" as well as a double ender available in case of an emergency need.

I have been reading your blog. I took a Sidemount class from Paul Murphy (Texas). The reason for the intro class was to determine what method I wanted to do my Tec training...SM or Traditional (Back Doubles). I have opted to do Tec in SM.

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned issues with the sizing/length of the bungee cords (chocker cords). I am fairly broad. Regardless of the standard lengths offered by Dive Rite Nomad or the Hollis SMS, it can feel like a constrictor as the valves start digging into my ribs. Simple solution is to place a double ender as a spacer between the snaps of the two chockers in front of your chest. This will give you an extra 4" as well as a double ender available in case of an emergency need.
I have been working with the 6" ring bungees from Dive Rite, which you can add quick links to adjust the length. I started off by adding one link to the one that they start off with because I could feel the one was a bit too short. With two links the tanks feel comfortable in the water, but it is difficult to clip in. I added a third link, and found it easier to clip in, but did not like that it felt like the tanks were flopping around. I am going to go back to the two links and more than likely remove the choker from the top bolt snap.

Personally, I don't like the standard bungees that come out of the box...or now in some cases, as an add on item. For much less, you can make a bungee that works much better to keep the tanks in a good position.

Personally, I don't like the standard bungees that come out of the box...or now in some cases, as an add on item. For much less, you can make a bungee that works much better to keep the tanks in a good position.
Well I was considering making a continuous bungee to run across the back, I saw it done somewhere and I think I may give that a try as well.

It's not the attachment point in the back that's an issue. It's the attachment point in the front that causes issues. Clipping the bungees onto d-rings allows the tank valves to ride too low.

Back
Top Bottom