My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And here is one of Mikey's

59358_1273889987346_1832824616_530015_4984896_n.jpg

I guess that works, but with the sling kit, it also doubles as a carrying strap for the tank.

But how do you adjust it to trim out?

Edd says that the tanks are the trim weights, and that you adjust the cam band up and down on the tank to trim them up. He also said I might need a one-pound on my should pads. He also said I might want lighter fins, as the heavy jets might make it difficult to trim the tanks without putting the cam band way on the bottom, and the valves up under your arms.

Steel bands are more difficult to adjust but all you need is a screwdriver. Advantages are they are less bulky and won't come undone.

Stage strap webbing won't stretch much (rope will).

You also don't need a whole stage kit to use bands. You can just use a choker (loop of string with a snapbolt) around the neck, if you want to be able to clip tanks to your shoulder d-rings. But personally I like straps, much easier to carry for me.

Be careful though. Some folks advise against that, say they will stretch out over time. Although it does make an awfully handy carrying strap.

I am sure it will stretch out over time, but the position of the clips aren't going to change.

Edd says that the tanks are the trim weights, and that you adjust the cam band up and down on the tank to trim them up. He also said I might need a one-pound on my should pads. He also said I might want lighter fins, as the heavy jets might make it difficult to trim the tanks without putting the cam band way on the bottom, and the valves up under your arms.

I can adjust the length of the strap and pull it tighter or looser as needed, but as of right now my trim is almost there, If I hadn't been carrying the weights in my drysuit pockets to make for quick adjustments I would have been perfect. I am using AquaLung slingshot fins, and find that they are maybe slightly buoyant. I know that I need to add weight, when that video was shot I had semi-full tanks, and I was alright, but later on when I sucked the tanks down to 1200psi. I was big time floaty. I had 6 pounds on me at that time too. Although if you figure for thirds, then I should have been heading up at that point.

Steel bands are more difficult to adjust but all you need is a screwdriver. Advantages are they are less bulky and won't come undone.

Stage strap webbing won't stretch much (rope will).

You also don't need a whole stage kit to use bands. You can just use a choker (loop of string with a snapbolt) around the neck, if you want to be able to clip tanks to your shoulder d-rings. But personally I like straps, much easier to carry for me.
Well I keep a screwdriver in my save-a-dive kit anyway. I have made a few adjustments already, and have found it easy enough.

Dive Rite also has a weight plate, designed for the Nomad system.

Nomad Weight Plate

Nomad divers who need to add weight to their rig will want the new Nomad Weight Plate. Designed to hold up to 16lbs of weight in four separate pockets, the Nomad Weight Plate attaches to the back of the Nomad using the existing grommets in the backplate. Two stainless steel assembly screws are included. Formed in the shape of the backplate and with dimensions of 8.5" x 14", it lies flat and isn't felt by the diver. The outside of the plate is covered with new, SuperFabric® brand material, a flexible, yet abrasion and puncture resistant material, which provides superior wear and tear protection. The grommets of the plate measure at 11.5-inches center-to-center, giving an extra 0.5-inch of spacing as compared to the grommets of the Nomad backplate. This allows the plate to align once it is filled with weight as the extra length is absorbed as the plate "thickens".

Dive Rite also has a weight plate, designed for the Nomad system.

Nomad Weight Plate

Nomad divers who need to add weight to their rig will want the new Nomad Weight Plate. Designed to hold up to 16lbs of weight in four separate pockets, the Nomad Weight Plate attaches to the back of the Nomad using the existing grommets in the backplate. Two stainless steel assembly screws are included. Formed in the shape of the backplate and with dimensions of 8.5" x 14", it lies flat and isn't felt by the diver. The outside of the plate is covered with new, SuperFabric® brand material, a flexible, yet abrasion and puncture resistant material, which provides superior wear and tear protection. The grommets of the plate measure at 11.5-inches center-to-center, giving an extra 0.5-inch of spacing as compared to the grommets of the Nomad backplate. This allows the plate to align once it is filled with weight as the extra length is absorbed as the plate "thickens".
I just got that today, I need a bit more weight since I am am a thick cordura drysuit, and am using 4th element arctic undergarments

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom