My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh! Thank you for NOT being asleep! :D

Well I didn't get in the water this weekend, but I got in the pool last weekend. I was happy with Dive Rite's method of using the ring bungees and the chokers to keep the tanks in, but I just don't have the mobility to get them clipped in that way. I have removed my chokers, and I still clip into the ring bungee, but then you are left with a tank that hangs way too loose. I believe it was the 12" bungees that I added so that I can then use them to pull the tanks in tight. I found that this was exactly what I was looking for and I am actually happier with this setup than the original setup. The tanks are in much tighter than before and they are almost parallel to my body when in the water. I will try to get some pics the next time in the water.

Well, I did get into the water this weekend . . . :cold:

The first thing I figured out was that I should've practiced hooking up with gloves on! Suddenly I couldn't feel a thing (could have been the 68.7F water), but I could also feel the clips rotating in my hands . . . My poor instructor was patiently waiting . . .

The second thing is that a 7mm full in a pool at 10 or 11 feet is just like a 7mm farmer john at 30 or 40 feet. I still had a band of about two feet in which I could stay if I could carefully breathe in it . . . but a second of inattention would have me over that and ascending, or under it and dropping. It's SO frustrating.

I did really well on the tank-dropping -- I had to take off my two ponies, set 'em on the bottom, and maintain buoyancy. I also had a most remarkable .44 Surface RMV, measured at 45' --- a cold, dark, murky lake with four bottles . . . I was amazed. I figured the cold alone would have me up in .7 range.

He was complementary of my trim with the four bottles (the two ponies added about 2-3 pounds forward), and noted I was still at about 15 degrees with just the main tanks. My gas switches were spot-on (yay for pool dives!) and my helicopter turns were good (yay pool!) I even did a creditable back kick after running into an ocotillo or two . . . or three . . .

We were supposed to do skills at 70', but we came back up to 45' because we couldn't see each other.

I love having the Galileo Sol -- two AIs, one on each wrist, I could instantly see each tank's pressure. The SPGs tend to be around my cheeks, so I have to grab them to see them. :giggle: The Sol does have the annoying 'reserve' alarm set, so when I breathed my left tank to 500, it went off and kept going. I've got to adjust that.

Dive-aholic's going to have his hands full! (Hopefully in December, early) :praying:

I got into GInnie Springs this weekend and had a good bit of success. I penetrated about 1,000 feet on the first dive and 1,100 on the second. My buddy turned it when I was only 100-200 psi away from doing it myself. I did get my camera snagged on a line as I was negotiating the Eye Bypass. That was tight, but FUN. We also did the Lips Bypass, but that was not nearly as tight.

Trim felt great: even my buddies thought so.

I LOVED having D-Rings on my tanks. They sit about 4 inches out from the ones that hold them to my harness. I even clipped my pony off on it! YAY!!! I really, really liked this. I need to get a hose that's just a tad bit longer and a side discharge reg and I will be set. The other D-Rings that I put on my neck strap were useless. Grrr. I need to rethink that with possibly a steel ring around the neck. I also could not find my double reg necklace, so I have to build a couple of them.

FWIW, I would love to find a second stage where the hose can be reversed. I want a long hose on both tanks with the hose going from the left on the left second stage and the right on the right second stage.

I got into GInnie Springs this weekend and had a good bit of success. I penetrated about 1,000 feet on the first dive and 1,100 on the second. My buddy turned it when I was only 100-200 psi away from doing it myself. I did get my camera snagged on a line as I was negotiating the Eye Bypass. That was tight, but FUN. We also did the Lips Bypass, but that was not nearly as tight.

Trim felt great: even my buddies thought so.

I LOVED having D-Rings on my tanks. They sit about 4 inches out from the ones that hold them to my harness. I even clipped my pony off on it! YAY!!! I really, really liked this. I need to get a hose that's just a tad bit longer and a side discharge reg and I will be set. The other D-Rings that I put on my neck strap were useless. Grrr. I need to rethink that with possibly a steel ring around the neck. I also could not find my double reg necklace, so I have to build a couple of them.

FWIW, I would love to find a second stage where the hose can be reversed. I want a long hose on both tanks with the hose going from the left on the left second stage and the right on the right second stage.

:worthless:

:D Please?

What's a double regulator necklace?

And what is " I need to rethink that with possibly a steel ring around the neck. " Around the neck of what?

Attachments

• A round tuit.jpg
    A round tuit.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 96
It holds both regulators at the same time. No messy clipping off the right side reg.

I use a 4" hard piece of plastic tube to keep them apart. I'll send you one when I make them again.

I wish I had read this earler. I'm going sidemount as well, cause of my neck, and back.
go to Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts Steve Bogaerts is the best. He has his own rig called the Razor. Just watching him dive with sidemount puts all use Double Tankers to shame. Look at videos 7 ,9, & 10 and you'll know what I mean. Also I'm taking a class in sidemount with Dori Phillips down in Fairfax VA in March 2011, use what you have now class, sell it and by the Razor for $295 + $50 S&H (UK) As Steve would say Less is More. Happy Sidemounting, I know I'll be, after 125 Double Dives.

Ummm, yeah. :whatever:

That's great if you are Steve Bogaerts' size and wear next to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom