My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah... he's diving Al 80s. I am diving Steel 130s.

Steel hundreds here . . . So what neck are you putting a steel ring around? And what's it do?

I have brass rings around my valves so I have something secure to clip my regs to.

Steel hundreds here . . . So what neck are you putting a steel ring around? And what's it do?

I have brass rings around my valves so I have something secure to clip my regs to.
eggzachary! Only, I want SS rings in stead of brass.

So I'm reading this Sidemount book, and it says that new sidemount divers should switch regs at 200-300 psi to establish a rhythm.

My instructor had me go 500psi between switches.

What's the "schoolhouse" solution? :D

for my sidemount course We switched every 100psi just to get the muscle memory. Then the instructor would check our pressures to make sure they were even at the end of each dive. Then toss in a few OOA drills to make sure you know what reg you are breathing :d
my turn pressure pressure is usually my 1st reg swap when I dive 72's which is 4-500 psi

So I'm reading this Sidemount book, and it says that new sidemount divers should switch regs at 200-300 psi to establish a rhythm.

My instructor had me go 500psi between switches.

What's the "schoolhouse" solution? :D

I go 600psi between switches so that I never have more than a 300PSI difference.

^^^^^^ That's what I meant about the 300 psi.

It's easy enough... determine your lowest reg and subtract 300. Now breath off of your highest reg until you get to that point. Subtract another 300 and breath off the other reg until you reach that point. I continue chasing the tail until I reach thirds.

I saw one guy keeping flopping between SPGs so much that even my head was spinning. I think I started out doing that, but I find this far more relaxing. If I forget, then I look at both regs and make a decision.

I do like multiples of 300 though. If both my SPGs read 3500, I will breathe the first one down to 3300 to start the process. Consistency is the bombdiggity when you are diving. :D

I wish I had read this earler. I'm going sidemount as well, cause of my neck, and back.
go to Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts Steve Bogaerts is the best. He has his own rig called the Razor. Just watching him dive with sidemount puts all use Double Tankers to shame. Look at videos 7 ,9, & 10 and you'll know what I mean.

The Razor is light and completely adjustable, very similar to a one-piece Hog harness. The problem with it for anything other than Al80s is the lack of flotation. In those videos, Steve is using an MSR hydration bladder in the small of his back to provide a little extra flotation. He's working on a more sophisticated solution, but no word as to when it will ready. Steve Martin's site shows a Razor in combination with the Hollis SMS100 wing, which I'm going to try. It looks like it will work well, with plenty of flotation, and no indication that the wing will taco when inflated, but I haven't been able to get mine into the water yet.

Last edited:
It's easy enough... determine your lowest reg and subtract 300. Now breath off of your highest reg until you get to that point. Subtract another 300 and breath off the other reg until you reach that point. I continue chasing the tail until I reach thirds.

I saw one guy keeping flopping between SPGs so much that even my head was spinning. I think I started out doing that, but I find this far more relaxing. If I forget, then I look at both regs and make a decision.

I do like multiples of 300 though. If both my SPGs read 3500, I will breathe the first one down to 3300 to start the process. Consistency is the bombdiggity when you are diving. :D

Yeah, that's how Kevin explained it. I thought it was funny to switch 200-300 lbs . . . 500 seems like too much because you get a 1000psi difference between the tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom