My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome, Jax... I'm still waiting to go off a boat with my sidemount rig ...

I've gone off the Peace in the Channel Islands wearing both HP100's ... that's a pretty good drop off the side, and even higher off the bow. No problem giant striding with both tanks on. The only real issue is that boat gates aren't really made for sidemount ... you have to kind've angle through the doorway and side-stride off the boat ... and watch where you put your fins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I'm game to try it, and figure out which works best (for me). Looks like I'll have that opportunity in a couple of weeks down in Panama City Beach...

I've gone off the Peace in the Channel Islands wearing both HP100's ... that's a pretty good drop off the side, and even higher off the bow. No problem giant striding with both tanks on. The only real issue is that boat gates aren't really made for sidemount ... you have to kind've angle through the doorway and side-stride off the boat ... and watch where you put your fins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I'm game to try it, and figure out which works best (for me). Looks like I'll have that opportunity in a couple of weeks down in Panama City Beach...

Just to be clear, Barry, my goal is to never carry two tanks out of the water. That's why all the extra procedures for me.

See if you can hook up with Wayward Son ... he knows where all the good stuff is down there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
Just to be clear, Barry, my goal is to never carry two tanks out of the water. That's why all the extra procedures for me.
Jax, I don't consider those "extra" procedures... I *like* the convenience of slinging *and* un-slinging at least the right tank in-water. The way you describe is exactly how my SM instructor likes to do it off the boat, as well.

That being said, I need to experiment striding off the boat with both tanks hooked up... if only to understand the feeling/differences...

I'm so taken with the whole experience, I might bite the bullet, and go dry, to dive through the winter (swore I'd never do that... but, I'd only go and spend the money on nonsense, anyway... like mortgage... food... heat...)

Best reason to experiment with getting into and out of the water while wearing both cylinders is because sometimes conditions are going to make it difficult (if not downright dangerous) to be in the water next to the boat while messing with them. The Channel Islands is one such place ... waves and current make quick entries and exits a very desireable thing ... if not a necessity. Sitting next to a swim-step, or alongside a pitching boat, hooking up tanks is a great way to get slammed against a hard, heavy object.

On my trip in June I started out trying to take them off while holding onto the swim platform. That was difficult, and I nearly got pinned a couple of times. Then I experimented with removing just one. That was easier and quicker, but still a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot. Going up the ladder with both cylinders was the least strenuous approach. If necessary, stand on the swim step and hang onto something while the boat crew assists you doffing them. But you really DON'T want to be doing that while in the water if there's a potential for a pitching platform to come crashing down on top of you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree... I've been in 3-5 foot swells in the Keys when the boat ladders (and platforms) can get a little ornery... That's more the exception than the rule, however, it happens. I imagine the conditions will dictate re-boarding procedure -- however, good to be prepared, and experienced, for whatever... the majority of which, I'm hoping, will be in-water slinging of the right tank.

Reactions: Jax
On my trip in June I started out trying to take them off while holding onto the swim platform. That was difficult, and I nearly got pinned a couple of times. Then I experimented with removing just one. That was easier and quicker, but still a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot. Going up the ladder with both cylinders was the least strenuous approach.

Another option I was considering for circumstances such as that would be to hang a line over the side which extended about 5-10' below the surface. Remove the right tank, let it hang from the line, finish the few feet to the surface, and exit with just the left tank. Then retrieve the other when you have the opportunity.

Of course, it would depend on the boat and crew's preferences, conditions, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom