My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:facepalm: I didn't even notice it fell out . . . I sure have a ways to go! :doh:

Nah! Not a "ways to go". Skill-wise you're coming along nicely. Those are just minor things you'll get used to looking for. Whenever you review video always look at the orientation of the cylinders to your body first.

Reactions: Jax
Rob, et al;

The original bungee position was in the 2nd (from top) wing bungee tie-down point. That put the loop about parallel with the bottom of my bra, about 2-3" under my arm pit.

I moved the bungee loops to the top wing bungee tie-down point, just slightly above the arm pit at my back.

Now, I don't know if it was the move of the bungees, or the fact I got my tanks back from vis / fill and had to re-rig them, but the left tank just seemed "funny". The whole practice session wasn't up to snuff, although I had several real valve shutdowns on the left side due to a free-flowing second stage (separate issue). The shutdown seemed fine as my left hand went right to the left valve.

My whole body is tilted up -- do I need to move the cam bands down? The are on the pencil marks . . . but something just seemed off. :shakehead:

20110828 SM bungees moved up.MOV - YouTube - faster

The left cylinder is hanging slightly lower than the right cylinder, maybe only an inch. The bungee needs to be shortened. You may also need to adjust the cord on the lower clip. Check it against the right cylinder. I would definitely adjust the bungee, though.

Thanks, Rob! :cool3: Love your practiced eye! I did not see that, but once you pointed it out, and I went through the clip slowly, I could see it.

However, a post got lost . . . :shocked2:

Any other critiques? Anyone?

1 - I need to trim my pink "whiskers", I know. I think I have that cord about where I want it, now.

2 - Dangling Ultra Nova . . . broke ANOTHER inner tube band. They don't stand up very well . . . or maybe they don't stand up to AZ very well . . .

I use a loop of shock cord instead of inner tube to secure my ultra nova. It has worked pretty well so far.

Jax, I can appreciate how far you *have* come, after going through my SM class this weekend...
My instructor kept us at no more than 100psi difference per bottle (I read an older debate on here about this, and even diving HP100's, I could definitely feel the list to one side if I got beyond 300psi difference). Additionally, even though the Hollis is a donut, you can apparently still trap a bubble on one side or the other (unintentionally, in my case).
I know I improved over the course of all the dives and drills (which is relative, since I tied myself in a knot a couple of times, 'til I took heed to what my instructor was patiently pointing out). But, by the end of two solid days in the water, I was at least able to somewhat resemble an in-control SM diver... Now, just have to practice everything I've learned for a few dozen dives, before I'll feel comfortable *calling* myself a sidemount diver...
Thanks to everyone's contributions in this thread... amazingly relevant and helpful... and Jax, thanks for the videos... your buoyancy control in 8' of water is admirable. (I couldn't stay that motionless 'til approx. 30 feet down).

Yay! Another convertee!!! :yelclap:

Welcome aboard, Barry! :hugs: Now you get to post your trials and tribulations, too!

At the risk of providing amusement, here's a short clip taken of me on the 4th dive of a sidemount course. Previous experience was several pool dives and a couple of dives w/ a TDI/SSI instructor.
I like how my short HP tanks ride and my hose routing is coming along. At my age, arching more isn't much fun, and I don't usually wave my arms around so much but I was more intent on keeping warm than good finning technique :).
Anyway, I'm generally pleased with my progress and I barely notice that I'm not diving single BM
[video=vimeo;28283395]http://vimeo.com/28283395[/video]

:rofl3: Olphart, I LOVE your user name!!! Welcome to sidemount!

Amazingly flexible, isn't it? That water looks cold, though. :cold:

:rofl3: Olphart, I LOVE your user name!!! Welcome to sidemount!

Amazingly flexible, isn't it? That water looks cold, though. :cold:

ohhh yeah, ..though if I had worn my polar undies it would have been fine. the water was only 50 deg at depth, so the track suit wasn't quite up to the job

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom