My two cents on used tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveat emptor. Sorry to hear about the experience. This probably won't be a very popular opinion, but it does sound like the seller is standing by the word of the agreement and you didn't go into the sale educated and prepared. He may not have disclosed important information about the tanks to you, but at the same time that important information is publicly available and, for instance would have easily come out if one had asked a question about the tanks here on SB. Chalk it up to one of the downsides of buying used equipment from unfamiliar sources (as you clearly already have done).

I don't think many people here (myself included) would be capable of making a sale like that without disclosing the 6351 alloy fact, but again the concerns about that alloy are dealt with on a per-shop basis, and technically your beef should be with a shop that refuses to fill such a tank that has passed hydro and VIP testing.

So to clarify, if a pre 88 Luxfer aluminum cylinder passes the visual and eddy current shops should fill it?

Thanks

So to clarify, if a pre 88 Luxfer aluminum cylinder passes the visual and eddy current shops should fill it?

Thanks

All of this is at the shops discretion.

The most you can say that "per Luxfer the cylinder is safe to fill".

As stated above, many won't. Some will only do so if they have performed the eddy current test.

Collectively many shops are making it painful to own old aluminum cylinders.

Pete

Why buy a used aluminum tank when routinely these are on sale for well under 200 dollars? A local shop recently was selling them for 149 dollars and I have a couple I got for 129. Sometimes, less so now than in the past, they will take the old tank in as trade for a few bucks.

I would avoid used aluminum cylinders of any sort unless you know where they come from. Steel cylinders are much more rugged and often are excellent bargains used.

Many shops will not fill the tanks in question regardless of the VIP status, it is a lost cause, junk them and buy some new tanks.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom