My Sierra arrived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, that was definitely a worthy "face palm" moment. Here I was trying to figure out how to manage the big, heavy scooter when all I had to do was figure out how to manage the small, light fins.

BTW - that thread was definitely one for the ages... Thanks James!

This is how I do it.

1. Pre stage scooter in sand. Just stand it on it's nose and kick some sand up to stabilize it. Pre stage the tow cord for easy access

2. Kit up and final checks and walk toward water

3. With masks/regs ready, trigger locked, clip off tow cord and grab scooter by shroud or handle then walk in.

4. Once you are in chest high water and surf is not an issue just hold onto scoot with one hand or clip off to chest D ring. (do not take off tow cord... why would you?) If the surfs up hit the trigger and go.

after a few dozen times you'll get the hang of it... the Sierra is quit manageable to beach dive with.

Bonus tip: To trim it out it's a lot easier to go to the docks by the boat ramp with a towel and some lead shot... makes the process so much faster.

Fixed it for you :D

Using your can light to keep together really helps. In bad vis we will often train our lights on our buddies scooter so the leader can focus on navigation yet know his buddy is right next to him. Works great for me since I have a compass mounted on my scoot.

I am jealous...I want a Sierra. I also want to dive this weekend :depressed:

Lights work very well... both with preventing a separation incident and reforming after one has occurred

Buddy goes right around rock, you go left... he gets distracted by dozens of dungeness crabs scampering around ... next thing you know he comes out from nowhere and WHAM!
I think it went more like this...

You're talking surf entry, right?

Step one: get two bolt snaps and a length of 1/4" line. Tie a loop between the two so they look kind like this:
Step two: go to dive site, and gear up, except for fins.

Step three: Clip your fins off to a d-ring using this nifty fin keeper.

Step four: clip tow cord to crotch strap.

Step five: walk into water carrying scooter, trigger unlocked. When water reaches waist (or you get knocked down, whichever comes first), flop down and scooter to deep water.

Step six: stop, unclip fins, put fins on.

Enjoy!

All the best, James

PS - the exit? exactly the reverse.

PPS - there's a story behind the photos in this post....find it here.

thx for the suggestion. I just got a scooter, and made up a fin keeper. Awesome idea.

Ben, you've never tried to do the Alki Fishing Reef on a south wind. I mean, those waves can get almost a foot high!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom