My Sierra arrived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If my experience in capturing territories is worth anything, we should invade via Kamchatka.

So you are saying we need to invade Seattle and claim their factory?

:D

If my experience in capturing territories is worth anything, we should invade via Kamchatka.

Do we wait for the winter so we can walk across or are we scooting? :eyebrow:

Do we wait for the winter so we can walk across or are we scooting? :eyebrow:

I would imagine scooting. It's an, umm, opportunity to test the cold water reliability of the scooter. Yeah, that's it. It's definitely NOT just about feeling like a badass with some serious James Bond gear... :wink:

Turning things around a bit, is anybody actually around this weekend to dive? If not, I might have to invite one of the guys I know with a little Sea-Doo scooter. I hate rubbing things in people's faces though... :D

I'm not a seasoned scooter pilot like Ben or Don but I might be up for a scooter dive on Saturday.

Congrats! Unfortunately, I'm in SoCal (non-diving) this weekend.

If you go out, let us know how it goes. Discuss team position, communication, and separation protocols. Viz has been very nice in Carmel lately, so hopefully it'll be good for you this weekend too.

Congrats! Unfortunately, I'm in SoCal (non-diving) this weekend.

If you go out, let us know how it goes. Discuss team position, communication, and separation protocols. Viz has been very nice in Carmel lately, so hopefully it'll be good for you this weekend too.

To Echo Don's comments

Team separation - Keep a tight formation. It is so easy to get separated. You are side by side on second. Buddy goes left around rock, you go right... he drifts a little to the left of course, you to the right pretty soon you are both zooming along all alone.

These first couple of dives will test your SA like no other... Navigating, communicating, keeping depth, time and deco in check all while you are zooming past rocks, kelp and other things... Don't be shy to surface if you do not positively know where you are at. you would be amazed how far one can stray when you get caught up in the contagious barrel roll phenomena...

Fixed it for you :D
Buddy goes right around rock, you go left... he drifts a little to the right off course, next thing you know he comes out from nowhere and WHAM!

Using your can light to keep together really helps. In bad vis we will often train our lights on our buddies scooter so the leader can focus on navigation yet know his buddy is right next to him. Works great for me since I have a compass mounted on my scoot.

I am jealous...I want a Sierra. I also want to dive this weekend :depressed:

Great advice guys, thanks! Any advice on the best way to do a beach entry with the scooter? Specifically, I'm interested in strategies for managing the scooter while putting my fins on. The best approach I've come up with while thinking through the process on my own is (once in the water) to clip it off to my right chest d-ring with the tow rope run up through the front strap and the nose d-ring (to minimize play in the scooter). Then put on my fins, swim out a bit, unclip the scooter, deploy the tow rope, clip off on the crotch d-ring, and then go. Any better ways of doing this?

You're talking surf entry, right?

Step one: get two bolt snaps and a length of 1/4" line. Tie a loop between the two so they look kind like this:

KFKstrapRansomable.jpg

It should be about this big:

ckfkNWA3.jpg

Step two: go to dive site, and gear up, except for fins.

Step three: Clip your fins off to a d-ring using this nifty fin keeper.

Step four: clip tow cord to crotch strap.

Step five: walk into water carrying scooter, trigger unlocked. When water reaches waist (or you get knocked down, whichever comes first), flop down and scooter to deep water.

Step six: stop, unclip fins, put fins on.

Enjoy!

All the best, James

PS - the exit? exactly the reverse.

PPS - there's a story behind the photos in this post....find it here.

Back
Top Bottom