My shipwreck photos to be published in a book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree well done Marie

We have some lovely wrecks you could take great pics of over here - don't' be put off by warm salt water diving - oh and the tiger sharks that have appeared :rofl3::rofl3::heart:

Congratulations! Great accomplishment!

Once you take or paint a picture, you automatically own the copyright. By posting it here, she also gives us copyright, but not ownership.

Not quite. The copyright holder (effectively owner) may grant "reproduction rights," by posting on SB, but that is not the same as giving SB the "copyright." Some sites/publications (don't know if this is the case with SB; I hope not) may require that the reproduction of images requires a transfer of copyright.

Damages can only be collected if she sues, wins, they have the money to pay and then decide to do what's right.

And of course it's even more complicated than that. If you simply own the copyright, you can only sue for damages related to direct losses from the illegal use of that image. On the other hand, if you register your images with the US Copyright office, you have the ability to sue for additional damages beyond the loss of revenue for the illegal use of the work, in that particular instance (statutory vs. non-statutory damages). So by registering your images, you have far more power to collect for damages. Of course how that plays out in court might be an entirely different matter altogether.

Regardless, congratulations @Marie13. It's alway exciting to see your work in print!

I had a good chuckle when I was told my pics were going to be published as I took them with my el cheapo camera, when there are many of you hauling around big expensive camera rigs. :wink:

I’ve always had a good eye. That counts for a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom