Prohibition beer bottles and dead eyes: Lake Michigan wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving Erie last weekend and it was crap on Saturday and Sunday was decent not great

Lake Erie was always green the few times I dived there. Decent viz below the green layer on top but blacker than night typically. Lake Erie is one of the creepiest lakes to dive!

@lowviz, excellent book recommendation I will order it.

In 1995 our group found the tug G.F. Becker in 200ft of water.

She was originally built as a mail boat but the great depression canceled the order near her completion. The owner then allegedly found the funding to complete her from the Detroit based Purple Gang or the Zerelli family to carry bootleg booze.

Since Lake Huron was more remote than the rivers, it was easier to cross the lake. Unfortunately on a foggy night off Harbor Beach, the coast guard cutter Morill was cruising through the fog when she almost ran down the Becker. The Becker then was chased down for the next hour when she began to founder. The crew was picked up and claimed to be innocent and as the boat sank with no evidence, they were released.

When the wreck was found, we discovered that the portholes were all bashed out and looking through them we see there were a few crates. But because of its size, it is too small for divers to get inside her to open the crates. We assume its filled with bootleg booze or alcohol, that's why the numbers have never been released:wink:

There are 2 rum runners missing in lower Lake Huron that I am aware of. Both were cabin cruises that disappeared with all hands in the early 30s.

@lowviz, excellent book recommendation I will order it.

In 1995 our group found the tug G.F. Becker in 200ft of water.

She was originally built as a mail boat but the great depression canceled the order near her completion. The owner then allegedly found the funding to complete her from the Detroit based Purple Gang or the Zerelli family to carry bootleg booze.

Since Lake Huron was more remote than the rivers, it was easier to cross the lake. Unfortunately on a foggy night off Harbor Beach, the coast guard cutter Morill was cruising through the fog when she almost ran down the Becker. The Becker then was chased down for the next hour when she began to founder. The crew was picked up and claimed to be innocent and as the boat sank with no evidence, they were released.

When the wreck was found, we discovered that the portholes were all bashed out and looking through them we see there were a few crates. But because of its size, it is too small for divers to get inside her to open the crates. We assume its filled with bootleg booze or alcohol, that's why the numbers have never been released:wink:

There are 2 rum runners missing in lower Lake Huron that I am aware of. Both were cabin cruises that disappeared with all hands in the early 30s.
Are we talking two bottle off no-mount restriction or no chance of any adult human fitting restriction?

Lake Erie was always green the few times I dived there. Decent viz below the green layer on top but blacker than night typically. Lake Erie is one of the creepiest lakes to dive!

Yeah It does typically have that green hue to it and it is usually worse viz than the other Great Lakes... But I have seen it before though Crystal clear and typically you can't see anything until you get under the thermocline but early on in the summer when there is no thermocline still I have seen wrecks from 70 or 80 ft above them and once you get below the thermocline on a good day you can have 100-150 ft of viz.

Back
Top Bottom