My shipwreck photos to be published in a book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time posting in this forum, but I’ve got some fabulous news. I’m going to have some uw photos published in a book! :D They are of the Wells Burt shipwreck in Lake Michigan, 3 miles off Evanston, IL. The Burt was a 3 masted wooden schooner, built in 1873 that went down with all 11 hands in a May 1883 storm. She is 201ft long and is 40ft deep.

I took the photos with an Intova Nova HD. $130 camera. Someone else touched up the color in Lightroom (?). Very green before.

The book should come out next summer.

First pic is of my favorite feature of this wreck - the deadeyes. They were used to manage the rigging. The Burt is sunk into the lake bottom almost up to her railing.
6F21CDF7-F6AF-41AA-AE46-0E0DB7140EB6.jpeg
44E4B3A1-495A-4250-8D4C-9D8416292326.jpeg
A260FB57-3D87-4811-A21D-3D57FB1C47DC.jpeg

Congrats, nice pictures!

Not sure if it's applicable, but one thing you might need to consider regarding the published photos is copyright and ownership type issues.

Not sure if it's applicable,
It's really not. Once you take or paint a picture, you automatically own the copyright. By posting it here, she also gives us copyright, but not ownership. Taking any person's creative product and using it as your own is downright unethical, but's only illegal if she claims copyright and tells them to take it down. Damages can only be collected if she sues, wins, they have the money to pay and then decide to do what's right. That's a lot of "ifs" and if they take it down during the process, then the whole tort disappears. Poof.It's a lot of work that may not pay off.

That being said, congratulations to @Marie13! It's always fun being published and even though the payout is often nothing more than a comped book, the feels that you were "good enough" lasts for a long, long time.

Congrats! You are a professional photographer. Lets dive together now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom