My regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my Mk 10's, too. But I have kept my Poseidon Odin's (3960's?) just in case I ever again dive cave-filled HP cylinders in very cold water. I trust my Odin's more for this.

Also, I prefer how my Odin's route my hoses when I am diving BM doubles.

rx7diver
Strange as swivel turret bottom-port MK10s would route better for BM.

Strange as swivel turret bottom-port MK10s would route better for BM.

I route my hoses straight down (more or less), from one side of the 1st stage. If my dry suit is inflated from back tanks, then my RH reg has DS LP hose (to plug into my DS from the right). LH reg has my BC LP hose. LH reg has my back-up 2nd stage, its reg hose routed behind my neck. No swivels. No hose protectors. No hoseless AI stuff. Simple.

I actually have also thought about NOT routing my back-up reg behind my neck (when I am NOT using a deco cylinder), since a Poseidon Odin 2nd stage doesn't have a right-side-up or upside-down. Even simpler. I haven't done this yet, though.

rx7diver

Double hose regulators aside, including my three Argonaut Krakens, my working single hose fleet currently, in order of duty:

1. AL Titan Supreme LX set, super reliable, simple and easy breather. Light for travel as well. My fav.
2. AL Core Supreme set, set up for DIN or yoke.*
3. SP Mark V clone with Jetstream second and Oceanic octopus.*
4. Two (2) Conshelf XIV Supreme sets. Bullet proof reliable beyond all Hades. My beach divers.
5. SP Mark V clone with G250 set. The "Surf" set (it is wonderfull, and so very expensive, lol).
6. SP Mark 20 with Mark 25 parts and G250 with R190.
7. SP Mark V clone with R109 set. Two first stages, one yoke, one DIN. It is pretty :).
8. AL Legend Series 1 set (my wife).*
9. SP Mark 17 Evo with G260, still building up. It will be replacing my Titan Supreme LX as my Number 1.

* Conventional primary and octo. (All other assemblies are long hose primary.)

Mark V clones were largely produced by Tabata, I think, and are 99% interchangeable with and the same as a SP Mark V except they are better, better chrome, better fit and finish and stainless turret screw.

James

For the record, 2 of my 3 MK10s have MK10 plus pistons, the other has the regular knife edge piston. All were serviced with official Scubapro service kits and environmentally sealed with Tribolube 66. All make a perceivable noise for some reason. I’ve tried putting my ear right next to all my other 1st stages but only hear the MK10s make noise.
I checked my MK10s for noise, but there is nothing noticeable even with my ear pressed to the first stages. All lubrication done with silicone grease, serviced with generic orings and OEM hp seats.
The piston shaft oring (90 durometer EPDM) gets plenty of grease and the shaft gets a light rub with 5000 grit micromesh.

I actually have also thought about NOT routing my back-up reg behind my neck (when I am NOT using a deco cylinder), since a Poseidon Odin 2nd stage doesn't have a right-side-up or upside-down. Even simpler. I haven't done this yet, though.
This is actually the standard Rec dive setup in japan (of course most people just have their octo hanging down dragging through the sand, but that’s not the point here…)

Dry suit hose routes to the right, along with the primary second stage. I think it’s kind of weird and wouldn’t want my regs setup that way, but people don’t seem to be dying left and right doing it like that, so it must work alright.

Nothing against MK20 or MK25, but without doubt I pick MK10 based simply on individual preference.

Servicing is certainly simple and low cost, but more than that it comes down my personal history with the MK10/BA combo. It is what I am familiar with, has served me well for many years, and I have a lifetime worth of service parts already on hand.

I like the look of a MK10 as well, it pairs nicely with a 109/BA or most any second stage I put on it.
I agree with your observation . I have used both the mk5 and 10 for many years without so much as a whimper in both reliability and performance . And from my experience the balanced adjustable is just bullet proof. Yes the pilots and D350 are amazing regs ( I will not tell you what mine crack at as you would probably not believe me ) but they are very moody and temperamental . The B/A just delivers reliability consistently no matter what the circumstances .

Once again just my 2 cents and at one point or another I think I have owned every reg that SP has made

SP Mk17 w/ 109 seconds (because chrome rocks)
SP Mk17 w/ G250V seconds
SP Mk5 w/ 109/108 seconds (because chrome rocks)
3 x Conshelf XIV w/ 1085 seconds (because chrome rocks x 3)
Atomic Z2 w/ Z2 seconds
Aqualung Micron w/ Micron seconds

Since Covid, I have more regulator sets than dives. I hope to rectify that next week with a week in Belize.

I agree with your observation . I have used both the mk5 and 10 for many years without so much as a whimper in both reliability and performance . And from my experience the balanced adjustable is just bullet proof. Yes the pilots and D350 are amazing regs ( I will not tell you what mine crack at as you would probably not believe me ) but they are very moody and temperamental . The B/A just delivers reliability consistently no matter what the circumstances .

Once again just my 2 cents and at one point or another I think I have owned every reg that SP has made
Come on, tell us what it cracks at? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom