My regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0004

Contributor
Reaction score
These are my regs that I dive .
1. Scubapro mk25 first stage , first generation Scubapro Pilot ( flat top ) second stage
2. Scubapro mk25 first stage , second generation Scubapro Pilot ( domed top ) second stage .
3. Scubapro mk25 first stage , Scubapro D350 second stage
4. Scubapro mk25 first stage , balanced adjustable second stage .

Depending on the task at hand I lean towards the balanced adjustable .

Just my two cents .

Nice group of regulators, I use the same but with MK5 or MK10 first stages and Balanced Adjustable in place of 109.

Sealed MK10 with B/A would be my pick for all future diving if forced to use just one regulator set.
A slightly modified AIR1 converted Pilot (domed top) has been my favorite second stage for local diving during the last couple years.

Nice group of regulators, I use the same but with MK5 or MK10 first stages and Balanced Adjustable in place of 109.

Sealed MK10 with B/A would be my pick for all future diving if forced to use just one regulator set.
A slightly modified AIR1 converted Pilot (domed top) has been my favorite second stage for local diving during the last couple years.
I meant to say balanced adjustable . That's what happens when you can't keep track of all your gear .

Would you pick sealed MK10/BA over sealed MK20/BA? If yes, why? Simplicity and lower cost of service?

Would you pick sealed MK10/BA over sealed MK20/BA? If yes, why? Simplicity and lower cost of service?
Nothing against MK20 or MK25, but without doubt I pick MK10 based simply on individual preference.

Servicing is certainly simple and low cost, but more than that it comes down my personal history with the MK10/BA combo. It is what I am familiar with, has served me well for many years, and I have a lifetime worth of service parts already on hand.

I like the look of a MK10 as well, it pairs nicely with a 109/BA or most any second stage I put on it.

Nothing against MK20 or MK25, but without doubt I pick MK10 based simply on individual preference.

Servicing is certainly simple and low cost, but more than that it comes down my personal history with the MK10/BA combo. It is what I am familiar with, has served me well for many years, and I have a lifetime worth of service parts already on hand.

I like the look of a MK10 as well, it pairs nicely with a 109/BA or most any second stage I put on it.
That’s fair, MK10 is small, sleek and works well, they look similar to Atomics. I’ve found all 3 of my MK10s to be “noisy” (I can hear the 1st stage with each breath above or under water, not quite a whistle but close) which annoys me. None of my other regs do this. They also have a lower IP drop on inhalation compared to the MK20 which makes me more confident in the MK20’s performance.

Mk 5 with late series upgrades, 109 upgraded to BA specs
Mk 10 with G250 Graphite
Mk 19 with D350 or D400

All DIN except when in the Caribbean, Mk 19 easily converts to yoke. I've found all of my Mk 5 hold IP forever, Mk 10s do not.

That’s fair, MK10 is small, sleek and works well, they look similar to Atomics. I’ve found all 3 of my MK10s to be “noisy” (I can hear the 1st stage with each breath above or under water, not quite a whistle but close) which annoys me. None of my other regs do this. They also have a lower IP drop on inhalation compared to the MK20 which makes me more confident in the MK20’s performance.
Interesting, I have a couple MK10's in use plus 5 or 6 other types of first stages and often rotate between regulator sets from one dive to the next.
Although I clearly tune into differences in noisiness between various second stages, the first stages have not caught my attention. Something to focus on in the future, perhaps differences will be revealed if I point my ears that direction..

Interesting, I have a couple MK10's in use plus 5 or 6 other types of first stages and often rotate between regulator sets from one dive to the next.
Although I clearly tune into differences in noisiness between various second stages, the first stages have not caught my attention. Something to focus on in the future, perhaps differences will be revealed if I point my ears that direction..
For the record, 2 of my 3 MK10s have MK10 plus pistons, the other has the regular knife edge piston. All were serviced with official Scubapro service kits and environmentally sealed with Tribolube 66. All make a perceivable noise for some reason. I’ve tried putting my ear right next to all my other 1st stages but only hear the MK10s make noise.

I really like my Mk 10's, too. But I have kept my Poseidon Odin's (3960's?) just in case I ever again dive cave-filled HP cylinders in very cold water. I trust my Odin's more for this.

Also, I prefer how my Odin's route my hoses when I am diving BM doubles.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom