My personal experiences with the Hollis SMS 100 vs Dive Rite Nomad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COLDH20.

IMO it is worth the cost of shipping to have CA do the mods since they have the experience and they may have come up with other mods. I recently take a class with Edd and CA did have additional mods they installed prior to me diving. The SMS100 with the CA mods is excellent. It is so comfortable you forget you are diving with two tanks and it is one of the easiest BCD to get used to. Plus it will take you through recreational to tech.

CA is an excellent dive shop with very good prices and exceptional customer service. EDD, Frank, and John are just great to work with and are truly professional. If you get a chance you have to visit their shop. They happily volunteer to do a modification to your equipment and give you unbiased opinion on dive gear. CA has a real "no hassle" return policy and don't question you when you return something. None of this 30 day return policy and giving you store credit b.s.

COLDH20.

IMO it is worth the cost of shipping to have CA do the mods since they have the experience and they may have come up with other mods.

Well I bit the bullet on shipping this morning, it is off to Frank to get the mods done, guess I can sell the chokers and ring bungees that I bought since I wont need them after the mods. That will almost cover the shipping anyways:shocked2:! By the sounds of it thought it will be money well spent! Thanks for the reviews of the mods too.

Well I bit the bullet on shipping this morning, it is off to Frank to get the mods done, guess I can sell the chokers and ring bungees that I bought since I wont need them after the mods. That will almost cover the shipping anyways:shocked2:! By the sounds of it thought it will be money well spent! Thanks for the reviews of the mods too.

Is there any way some pictures can be taken, I just cant ship from Canada... I'd really like to see them!

Is there any way some pictures can be taken, I just cant ship from Canada... I'd really like to see them!

Why can't you ship from Canada, the cost? If that is what is holding you back, PM me.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 06:00 PM ----------

Well my SMS100 arrived at CA yesterday and Frank already has it done and shipped it back today :shocked2: that is some pretty stellar service. Thank you to Frank and Cave Adventurers, might even have it back by Friday:D.

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the mods. I have and love my SMS 100.

Thanks soooo much for this report. I've done about 15 side-mount dives in the Nomad, it was OK, but big and bulky. I am now in the market for a hybrid BCD mostly for teaching recreational diving but also for a bit of side-mount fun diving in the tropics and possibly some cold water diving in the future. I was reluctant to buy a BCD that didn't really thrill me and keen to find out more about SMS100.
This post (and info about modifications) is so helpful :)

To clarify a point asked about earlier: Doing the mods yourself is NOT advised. I saw a real Edd-modded SMS100. Edd and Frank AND my instructor both went over all of the mods (hows AND whys) and I still couldn't get it diving right. Just a few minutes with Frank and my rig had me in perfect trim. If you give Cave Adventurers a call or shoot them an e-mail, they can set you up in full sidemount gear. Ask about hose lengths for regs as well.....I've given up trying to tweak and am just going with their recommendeds. It all works really well.

Back
Top Bottom