My personal experiences with the Hollis SMS 100 vs Dive Rite Nomad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LilMsMagic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First of all, let me preface this with: this is MY OPINION of the Hollis SMS 100 vs the Dive Rite Nomad. Every person is different, each with their own unique body size, shape, and buoyancy properties. Also, this is in NO WAY a knock or dig against Dive Rite. I have MANY Dive Rite products that I LOVE!

I purchased my nomad February 2012 from Cave Adventurers which I dove back mount at first, then eventually migrated it to side mount. The nomad is a really versatile piece of dive equipment due to being able to dive it back mount it as well as side mount. Once I migrated to side mount, there were a few modifications that were done by Edd & Frank at CA, and it was an improvement on the overall comfort of the rig diving SM. One of said modifications was putting weights on the shoulders (2 lbs on each shoulder) to improve my trim, which worked like a charm.

During the past year of diving the nomad, I had heard comments about how much better the Hollis SMS 100 was designed specifically for side mount, but I purposely stuck with my nomad. It had worked for me, I had it dialed in, and why would I need the extra expense of another rig when the one I had was just fine for me.

Over the past several months, as my skill level in the water improved, I really began to understand just how heavy I was in the water, especially with 4 extra lbs of weights on my shoulders in addition to diving my steel 100’s. Because of being so heavy, my nomad wing would have to be inflated to almost full capacity (especially at depth) even with air in my dry suit. The design of the nomad wing is pretty wide at the part of the body behind the arms, so I had limited range of motion with my arms in being able to reach my reels, spools, and light switch.

I adapted the mentality of “it is what it is and I just have to get used to it”, but my frustration with limited range of motion and heaviness in the water really began to be a factor in my level of enjoyment in the water/caves.

Recently, while visiting CA and talking to Frank about my frustration, he suggested that I just try his Hollis SMS 100. “Dive it, see how it feels, what do you have to lose?”
So off I go to JB, to try out Frank’s Hollis, with the CA modifications to it of course. :surrender:

:yeahbaby:HOLY CRAP! … What a difference! For one thing, the wing design is not as wide as the Nomad behind the shoulders/arms. I IMMEDIATELY felt a difference in the range of motion in my arms; I could actually reach everything behind me with EASE! Secondly: there was no need for weights on my shoulders, so right off the bat; I was 4 lbs lighter, thus needing less air in the wing.

I felt so much lighter heading into JB with the Hollis vs. previous dives with the Nomad that it was a little more challenging actually getting in there with the flow up like it is. I adjusted for that easily enough, and while in the cavern, I barely put ANY air into the wing or my dry suit. The test: dropping down the chimney, getting some depth. Even at depth, the wing only needed minimum inflation and I still had great range of movement in my arms to reach what I needed to reach behind me.

Needless to say, I’m a fan (and now owner of) the Hollis SMS 100 and have since sold my Nomad. The folks at Cave Adventurers have always been great to me, and I will always give them a shout out for their exceptional customer service, GREAT PRICES, instruction, tips & tricks, and being as warm and welcoming as possible. :yelclap:

I have a CA modifiend SMS 100 as well, and I dig it. Unfortunately I have a whopping 1 dive with it since new. I did all previous SM dives in a Nomad... heh

There are quite a few mods that are done. I'll give the basics.

The Wing is further streamlined and inflators and dumps are swapped

The shoulder straps are routed to the waste.

A bungee harness for your light is built and attached

D-rings are swapped as well.

Also has the old school bungee system sewn in as well.

All in all it makes it a more comfortable,streamlined, and balanced rig. I've dove it before and after all of the mods. While the sms100 stock is a great system, the edd mods make it perfect. Trims great, no weight needed, very sturdy feeling. Most of all it takes a lot of the guess work out of Sidemount and gets you in the water, quickly.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you could order the stuff from CA and do the mods yourself? To ship it there and back would not be cheap :shocked2:

Call frank at CA, he will be the better one to answer that question

Angie good for you. I dove the prototype and it was awesome. I love my nomad which is far from stock but the hollis beats it. The stock hollis sms100 you couldn't give me, after Edd fixes them, not much compares.

So can the mods be done to the Nomad as well?

Back
Top Bottom