My OW is going to be cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where in MD is it that cold 25-30 deep this time of the year : ( Here in MN, WI in our deeper pits are in mid to low 50s and goes down to 41-38 below 50-60 ft. 7mm farmer john with good hood, boots and gloves. If you can make sure the wet suit, hood and gloves and boots are snug and tight (very little air gaps) to minimize the transfer of water in and out. This may seem weird but make your self as water tight as possible tuck in hood, gloves and boots well. The intial shock will be the worst as your body warms he water that comes in and your hands will get cold. The part that I find the worst in cold water diving is if it is cold breezy day you really feel it when you get out and taking gear off. Hopfully you will have a warm sunny day.

I dive dry now with dry gloves and it is heaven. If you continue to dive in water like that consider a drysuit with dry gloves. Have fun and stay warm

Deep-6, I could not pee to save my life. My unit retracted so far up that I changed genders!

Bow, Hyde's Quarry in Westminster, MD. Saturday, the air temp was 70-80F so being out of the water was decent. But yesterday, the air felt in the 60s, so out of water was as cold as in. I think that is why our DI had us stay in the water for our surface interval.

As a comment about the thread of knowing less as you dive more, yesterday taught me how little I actually know, and how careful I need to be, to keep within my skill level when planning dives. I really need to learn to relax and get my wieghts set.

My buddy is planning on taking me diving at Haymarket a week from Sunday. He is planning to go to 60'. I am totally fine with it, knowing that that hardest part is going to be equalizing my ears, and getting the right weights. Needing 30# of lead to get neutral is dangerous. I really need to relax, and get that weight down.

Haymarket? Are you going to Millbrook? That's where I was just certified last weekend. Horribly cold with viz at about 2 feet. They wouldn't let us go down to 60' like they had planned for fear of how cold and dark it would be. Good luck... it will be good practice! :)

Deep-6, I could not pee to save my life. My unit retracted so far up that I changed genders!

Bow, Hyde's Quarry in Westminster, MD. Saturday, the air temp was 70-80F so being out of the water was decent. But yesterday, the air felt in the 60s, so out of water was as cold as in. I think that is why our DI had us stay in the water for our surface interval.

As a comment about the thread of knowing less as you dive more, yesterday taught me how little I actually know, and how careful I need to be, to keep within my skill level when planning dives. I really need to learn to relax and get my wieghts set.

My buddy is planning on taking me diving at Haymarket a week from Sunday. He is planning to go to 60'. I am totally fine with it, knowing that that hardest part is going to be equalizing my ears, and getting the right weights. Needing 30# of lead to get neutral is dangerous. I really need to relax, and get that weight down.

Rock on! Sounds like you are on the right track...I know it seems frustrating right now, but it will come! It will be like one of those "A-ha" moments when you discovered you could do your math homework, or like the "tuning fork" feeling when you hit a great golf shot. Keep practicing, diving and learning! Most important, have some fun out there!

Congratulations on the cert and Happy (warm) Diving!

Are you going to be using the same type of exposure protection (7mm neoprene) or have you (wisely) decided to start looking at drysuits? :wink:

Congrats on your Cert and also your new lifestyle dude....miss........whatever!

Sub, I just learned to dive. I will hold off on learning dry suit until I am comfortable with my skills. I do not want to get $1500 deep to figure out that I do not have the mental capacity to be a quality diver.

Ooo!! Cold-- Just wear Hood, and Glove you will have fun. Good Luck.

Sub, I just learned to dive. I will hold off on learning dry suit until I am comfortable with my skills. I do not want to get $1500 deep to figure out that I do not have the mental capacity to be a quality diver.

I wouldn't worry about being mentally capable, Its so easy a fish can do it! :wink:

senseiern, did you make it out to millbrook yet or is that this coming weekend? I'm planning to do my OW dives there on memorial weekend and having some idea of current water temps would be great. I can't seem to find any info about current conditions anywhere on the web, which is a little frustrating.

JoeyP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom