My OW is going to be cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boots i have, that I bought with my fins are 5mm. In case the suit they provide doesn't come with boots, are 5mm going to be effective to keep my feet protected?

Your feet will probably outlast your hands ...

Man, that is going to be cold even in a 7. I did my OW in 49 deg - BUT I was able to use a drysuit with no air. It took about 30#'s to get me down but it was nice and warm. Can you use a drysuit? I sure would ask about it.

This scenario is commonplace here. In late Nov. we still have those checkouts, and the biggest problem is the surface interval with 40 degree or less air temps. We provide a hot water tank to warm hands in between dives, as this is where the problem is. If you have a nice sunny May day, you'll be in much better shape. Yes, the instructors are anxious to get the dives over with, as even though they will be most likely in drysuits, they know students aren't. If you can determine that the dives will be more than 30 minutes and you have a choice, use 3 fingered mits. If they will be short dives the 5 finger gloves may be OK and you have more dexterity to do the skills. Are you sure it's only going to be 44? It's already 42 up here.

Last edited:
I go for my OW test next weekend at Hydes Quarry. I am told the water temp is going to be about 44F.

I know I will be freezing my ass off, even though they are providing a 7mill wet suit. I am told the test will be fairly quick due to instructors won't want to be in too long.

So, how can I prepare myself to tolerate the water as much as possible? What can I expect to be my reaction to it?

Take a drysuit class and do your OW dives dry and (reasonably) warm.

It will take an extra few pool sessions and some classroom work, but you won't freeze your butt off.

Terry

holy cold batman. i did my dives at a local lake where the water temp was 61 degrees and i was FREEZING. air temp was a nice 85 though :) even in a 7mm suit w/gloves (although, make sure you get gloves that fit, i had a hell of a time getting my mask back on underwater because i was in huge borrowed gloves).

I did my first two dives today!

The water temp was 51F instead of 40s. The water was cold dark and murky. Visability was about 15' horizontal and 5-10' vertical.

We went to 20 feet. I found it easier to clear my ears at 20' than 10' in a pool. We followed a rope down to 30' where the thermalcline started...THAT WAS FREAKING COLD!

The water temp only got to me near the end of the second dive. My lips got cold and I found it hard to keep my regulator in.

The first dive was 20 minutes. The second was 30.Pressure Group after the first was C. After the second we were at K.

I freaked a little when a Crappie the size of my head swam up to me. While on the platform, several fish swam around us. Once i got over the first one, I hard no issues.

I had trouble with weights...again. I kept floating up. The current was making me unstable. With strap weights on my ankles and rocks int he pockets, I got pretty stable. My total weight was around 28-30.

We have 2 more dives tomorrow.

I had trouble with weights...again. I kept floating up. The current was making me unstable. With strap weights on my ankles and rocks int he pockets, I got pretty stable. My total weight was around 28-30.

We have 2 more dives tomorrow.

It sounds like you had a blast, thats great! I would suggest getting the weight situation figured out before you finnish your second dive. Ask to do a proper weight check with you on the first dive tomorrow (that means them bringing extra weight to load you up until your weighted right) that way you will get to try your final weight for the last dive and when you go to rent equipment later on you will be able to tell them how much weight you need instead of just guessing and hoping for the best. Not knowing your weight will make it much more awkward to rent I found.

I hope dives three and four are just as good to you, Enjoy!

The water today was COLD! I again put 6# on my feet, 22# on a belt, and 4# on a belt on my tank. Getting neutral was very difficult. It was the same 7mm suit I wore yesterday.

Today, we did compass nav and mask removal. During the mask removal, when I put it back on, water got in my nose and I felt like I was waterboarding myself. I got it back on, and settled, but felt like I was drwoning, so I signaled to the DI that I was going up from the platform a DM was on the suface to whom I explained the situation.

After clearing my sinus passage of water, I thought about quitting. But, I dove back down. The one last thing to do was to swim out 50 feet, using a compass, at 20 feet, and return to the submerged platform.

So, I passed. Thanks for the help from many of you. My next dive is planned for two weeks. A simple Sunday dive.

I really think the anxiety and stress was what forced me to need so much weight. I expect it will drop significantly as I do more dives.

I also did the last OW dive for my certification today in waters in the mid-40's with 60 degree air temps... I feel your pain. Thermocline at 12 and 20 feet and below that, I was shivering continuously, and viz was 2-5 feet. Miserable, but I know it will get better!
A little tip that my instructor gave me that is too late now, is that when removing your mask, if you tip your head down, the bubbles tend to go to the side instead of straight up your nose and making you feel like you're drowning. Useless to you now, I know! We're both certified now, so time to get in some warm Caribbean waters, I believe.

44 Degrees. Pee dude, Pee in your wetsuit, Pee alot. No kidding.

Back
Top Bottom