My OW is going to be cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta hand it to you cold weather/water guys....don't see how you do it. My body goes into a 'shock' mode when I hit cold water

I did my OW less than a month ago in a quarry. It was 55 at 18 feet, and 38-42 at 45 feet. I wore a 7mm wet suit and a bathing cap style hood (5mm with a chin strap) because it is just as warm without the claustrophobic tightness around my neck...and gloves. I am a 5'9" 160lb woman. As soon as I got in the water, I pulled my collar out a little, and slowly let the water into my suit, as we all did....keep letting the water in (yes, it is cold for a minute) until it is all the way down into your boots...after about a minute, I was toasty warm at all depths, the only place I felt the cold was on my face around my mask, no big deal....just fill your wet suit with the water your in, and your body temperature will warm it perfectly....I did 4 dives this way ranging from 38 degrees to 55, and was fine.......

Good luck and Have fun!

I did my OW at Gilboa at the first of May along with my drysuit/nitrox specialties. I only dove wet in the pool and knew that i would be diving in cold water all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom