My Non-Certification Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to read of your certification difficulties. I, too, tried an OW class in my hometown (which just happened to be PADI, btw) and found it to be an awful, disheartening experience.

An alternative to a resort course would be to consider getting certified in a place with a tropical climate with an 'experienced' instructor with a track record... a 'lifestyle' diver as opposed to a 'zero-to-hero' instructor at a resort. [I got certified in northern Florida, cave country, and while the water temperature was far from tropical, it was certainly much warmer than the frigid waters here in Vancouver. :wink:] Perhaps you could consider doing your check-out dives in a place like southern Florida with an independent instructor who'll spend the necessary time with you and your wife.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And don't give up! I didn't and I'm better for it. :)

I did my training online as well. I found it to be very through and the dive shop that I worked with did not mind that I did not do the class with the rest of the group. As far as your problems, may I suggest you first go to your local pool and using your face mask and snorkel, just swim with your face in the water. This will help in building your confidence about being underwater. Also, try going to the shallow end where you can kneel but not have your head under the water and practice partially flooding your mask and then clearing it. I don't tilt my head back at all but keep it straight in front of me. I practiced this before I took the inpool classes .
carrying gear down to the water can be hard and I think that if you told your instructors that you wanted to make two trips, I would think they would understand . I am 53 years years old and just got my open water cert.
The main thing you have to do is relax. And be patient, being buoyant in the water, clearing the mask, and all the other tasks are all new and will take time. I had a heck of a time getting my neutral buayancy and now that I have a dry suit, I went from 10 lbs of weight to 22 lbs, it is more of a trudge to the water. But being under the water and floating along under the waves is one of the most relaxing things I have ever done. HOpe you keep on trying.

Matt Beckwith,

having gone as far as you have I would not say that diving is not in your future. I will say that I gleaned enough to make me agree that private instruction may be a good way to go.

The concerns about drowning are rational enough but they should be under control before getting in the after with a regulator. i did not get a sense of your general level of comfort in the water. Swimming, snorkeling? If being in and on the water has someone uneasy scuba will be trough sledding. I dis not see any mention of in the water skin-diving as part of confined or open water. I consider this essential, especially to someone who is not a natural.

If you ended up paying for the shop's classroom instruction I wish you had gone, even if seemed redundant. That is where bonding starts and you get some understanding of the local experience. You obviously got the academic content but may have missed some of the fun.

i agree that empty lung regulator recovery should be taught. You knew how to recover and how to purge but had not connected the dots.

With regard to clearing our mask, remember that you will not have the luxury of catching your breath before it may someday get knocked off your face. The good news is that water up the schnoz and other discomforts fade with experience so just deal with it.

Equalization can be practiced topside and is an acquired skill. Start doing it 1 or 2 times a day while plotting your next move. Sneaking up on your ears with just enough pressure is the idea. Too much and the tube slam shut. I'm sure you know the rest as a doctor. When you dove do it on the drive over, as you don your gear, get in the water and just before submerging. Then plan on doing it with each breath during descent. Once you get a sense of things you can modify the routine.

The cylinder was probably closer to 37 pounds to make you feel better.

Claustrophobia should not have been a surprise. they should have had you in hood 7 gloves after the first night.

"Don't worry, you have air" is not a flip response. It's a fundamental circuit breaker to panic, a real killer. It may not have been the best poolside manner but take it to heart. As long as you are breathing anything else is just an inconvenience.

With regard to fitness and the site a few thoughts come to mind. Handling gear is something of a dance. The first times are difficult. It will get easier with experience. Too many macho instructors with that experience have poor consideration for what may work better for some. I know plenty of divers that for various reasons prefer to stage and don the heavy gear near the water and exit similarly. Doing so is surely an option.

Keep an eye on heat stress. That probably was at the root of the stress heading downhill to the water and it would exacerbate the claustrophobia. Pour a liter of water into your suit to act as a heat sink. Warm the water if the conditions are cooler.

As for cardio fitness you are better qualified than I but plenty of young apparently fit divers end their early dive days whooped. Learning to pace yourself is a big part of it, especially on exit. Spend a few minutes in the shallows, upright with your BC still carrying most of the weight. let you body re-acclimate to 1G before exiting in measured steps. I'm 4 years younger, not especially fit, dive lots of hilly sites but rarely pause while exiting. I'm not usually the 1st back to the car either!

So if this is something that you and your wife want to add to your lives together do your homework and go find an instructor that you would count as a friend, set-up a private course and re-start the journey. Everything I read in your quarry experience says you can do this.

Pete

Sorry to hear that you didn't have the best time, but it is awsome that you are dedicated to try again! You definately won't regret it once you get all the little stuff solved.

I wanted to point out that the "work" involved with cold water diving does in fact get much easier. The trick is to take your time, and never get in the water tired. Take multiple trips to bring your gear, take breaks in between. Even when you are getting suited up, take a few minutes after each step to just sit and relax. Arrive early, so you never feel rushed. It is not unusual for us to arrive an hour ahead of time to slowly get your kit ready and chat, keeping the relaxed atmosphere going. My buddies sometimes make fun of me, because I can take so long to get ready. But really, the 2 minutes I sat between getting the 2 pieces of my wetsuit on make a huge difference. Hell even pulling on gloves can be a pain and tire you out. You will get faster, and it does get less cumbersome.

And don't be afraid to ask for help, or accept what is offered. Some days I am just tired, and really can not lift even my own kit up to get it on. Other days, I help load/unload/fill/store tanks at the shop before and after dive, including all the doubles setups. Diving is a buddy sport, it is ok to rely on each other for help :)

I wasn't suggesting doing any more cold water OW dives, unless you think you might want to dive locally later. All I was saying is that, if you book some more pool time at home, you're at home . . . which means you can do it on your own schedule, and do it over again as many times as you need to, to feel really comfortable with all the skills. You may find it difficult (or at the very least, quite expensive) to do that at a destination resort.

What is that, a Borg cupcake? :blinking:

I've got the mask clearing thing down, no problem there.

In future I will certainly don my gear closer to the water's edge.

I am indeed looking into South Florida OW certification as well.

A member of this forum has given me some great references on different equalization techniques. Apparently, it's not a simple matter at all.

Thanks again, everyone!
Matt

Matt,
NetDoc (SB screen name) is an instructor in Key Largo. I met him trough a mutual friend one day diving and he is a very nice guy.

The water in the Keys is very pleasant and there are many shallow dive sites.

I have to agree on the south Florida certification. The water is warm, the dives are very pleasant. Im also paid ow certified and my lds instructor was awesome.

As DanG mentions, if you're going to travel to certify and/or do some first dives, you might want to consider the Florida Keys (and NetDoc :)). There are many, many shallow, pretty, warm-water reef dives (in fact these would be the "normal" reef dives that any boat would be going on). I have found it to be a great place to work on my diving while admiring the underwater surroundings. In addition to the amazing reefs, there are also bright/shallow/sandy places off to the side where you can practice skills (not that you can't practice them over the reef, but this way you don't have to worry about damaging coral if you "slip" a little while practicing something).

This time of year you would need to wear some neoprene (say, 3mm), but in summer you can dive in just a dive skin, or shorts and a T-shirt, which is really nice.

(I took my second OW class there after my first was completed in 58º water with lots of 7mm neoprene...)

Yes, it's a Borg cupcake. I used to have the Borg queen as an avatar, as an in-joke about being assimilated, but people said it was too scary, so I changed it. Who can be scared of a Borg cupcake?

Back
Top Bottom