My Non-Certification Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Non-Certification Experience

Recently I took the PADI certification course through my local dive shop, and failed to complete it. I’d like to recount the experience, for several reasons. Someone reading this might have some insights as to why it was so difficult for me, and some suggestions on what to do the next time I try to certify. People with similar difficulties may want to commiserate. Finally, I expect it will help me to work through some of my feelings about the experience.

A friend recommended PADI, so I got onto their website and enrolled in the on-line class. These lessons are very well constructed, very thorough, and a pleasure to navigate. It took me a very long time to get through them all--about 13 hours total. At the end I took the online exam and got a good score.

I then called the local dive shop to sign up for the pool and open water portions of the training. I expected them to charge me less for the course, since I wouldn’t be attending the classroom portion. But the price was the same with or without the classroom. In fact, the owners of the shop made it clear they had a low opinion of the online training. So I started out feeling resentful of being overcharged, and feeling inferior because my academic training had been online.

The first pool session was difficult. My main fear was of drowning. I kept remembering that adage that you can drown in a tablespoonful of water. I felt that more time should have been taken getting us comfortable with breathing through the regulator. My wife had more trouble than I did with this. She told me that, when she told the instructor that she was afraid of breathing underwater, the instructor replied, “What are you afraid of? You have air.”

I think the dysjunct here is that the instructors have been diving for so many years that they’ve forgotten how foreign a concept breathing through a regulator is. In fact, after going through the course, I think that they’ve forgotten the whole experience of learning. Because they had similar attitudes about a lot of the skills they taught us. There was a general impatience with our inability to learn everything the first time.

Both the pool and open water portions of the course are structured in such a way that you are being taught and being tested at the same time. They tell you how to do something, demonstrate it, then watch you do it. If you are unable to do it right the first time, they coach you on the skill and watch you do it a second time. If you still haven’t done it right, they act disappointed in you, and you get the impression you won’t be certified. I felt like saying, “But aren’t you supposed to be teaching me how to do it?” If I didn’t get something right, I didn’t feel that they were taking any responsibility in the matter. It was weird.

I think the most important thing I learned in the pool portion of the course is how to deal with choking underwater. Here’s how it came about. They taught us how to clear our masks. They said, “Lean your head back, press on the upper portion of the mask, and breathe out through your nose.” When I leaned back, water immediately came into my nose and down my throat, causing me to choke. So they taught us what to do when choking. You cough right into the regulator. So the next time I tried to clear my mask and swallowed some water, instead of coming to the surface, I held the regulator and coughed into it. It required a tremendous amount of self-control to do this, but it worked. And when I choked again the next time, I did it again.

It turns out that they shouldn’t say lean your head back and then breathe out through your nose. They should say, start breathing out through your nose before you lean your head back. That way the water in the mask doesn’t go into your nose.

But the experience of choking underwater, and learning how to deal with it without surfacing--this, more than anything else in the course, helped me to have faith in the diving apparatus. Because I now knew that, if I got into trouble while at depth, I wouldn’t drown. Unfortunately, this was just a happenstance lesson, and not part of the curriculum.

An analogous and similarly valuable lesson occurred during the part where you alternate snorkle and regulator while swimming. I made the mistake of taking the snorkel out of my mouth after the exhale, so was not able to clear the regulator by exhaling. I asked the instructor, and was told to hit the purge valve. Even though I had been taught about the purge valve, I had forgotten it was an option. Imagine if I’d been 30 feet down and in that situation, I would have drowned because of having forgotten about the purge valve. Now I knew that this would not be a problem, because I’d learned about it. But this is not a part of the course either. I think they should have an exercise in which you are forced to use the purge valve.

During the second pool session, we did the fin flip followed by hovering to maintain neutral buoyancy. I did the fin flip just fine, but the neutral buoyancy was darn near impossible. I would let all the air out of my BCD, sink to the buttom, then breathe in, but I was still on the bottom. So I added a small amt of air to my BCD, breathed in, and then rose to the surface. They told me that I was putting too much air in the BCD, but I don’t think that was the case. I found that my buoyancy varied dramatically with my depth. This is a principle which they had taught us. I might be neutrally buoyant, but then inhale too much air and end up on the surface. Or exhale and end up on the bottom. In the end, I was able to maintain neutral buoyancy by inhaling and exhaling small amounts in succession. But this is not normal breathing, and I always had the impression that if I didn’t breathe out or in at just the right moment I would rise to the surface or sink to the bottom. I think I had more trouble than anyone else in the class with this.

One problem I kept having was locating the inflator/deflator control for the BCD. It was on the left-hand side of my BCD. Sometimes I could find it easily, and other times I couldn’t find it anywhere. The problem is, when you’re sinking or bobbing to the surface without wanting to, you need to find that inflator/deflator right now. I talked with a couple of the instructors about it, but they didn’t seem to understand why I had so much trouble finding it, and had no suggestions as to how to avoid this problem.

By the end of the third pool session, I had read a book about scuba diving, and taken some practice test questions on my iPhone. I had asked lots of questions of the instructors. I was nervous about the written test.

After the third pool session, I attended the last class with everyone else. I did this mainly to appease the instructor’s irritation with my skipping the classes. I took the required 18-question test to prove that I had learned the academic concepts online, missing 2 questions. Then I took the 50-question test that everyone else took, missing one question. This was substantially better than anyone else in the class, but none of the instructors admitted that my online training had been adequate.

It turns out that there are no consequences for failing the written test, since the instructor goes over all the missed questions afterwards, and nobody is failed from the course for lack of knowledge.

The following Thursday evening I came by the dive shop as instructed, and picked up the equipment I would need for the quarry dives--2 full tanks, a thick wetsuit with hood and gloves, a BCD, and a weight belt with extra weights. Friday night I drove the 4 hours to the quarry, checking into a hotel nearby.

At the quarry the next morning I checked in at the group’s pavilion. When we were all assembled, we got into our wetsuits, donned our gear, and trudged down the hill to the quarry shore. This was a 100-yard walk down a gently sloping hill. Someone had told me the tank weighs 50 pounds, and the weights I was wearing were another 36. I’m not in bad shape for a 58-year-old, but this walk down the hill with all that weight on was not an easy matter.

Another thing they don’t warn you about is the claustrophobia from wearing a really thick wetsuit, with hood and gloves. And the material of the wetsuit is extremely clingy and stretchy and unwieldy. You could exhaust yourself struggling with it while putting the wetsuit on or taking the wetsuit off. Struggling with my wetsuit was one of the truly unpleasant parts of the experience.

In the water, which was cold, I was impressed by the insulation provided by the thick wetsuit. I was never cold while in the quarry.

There were many divers at the quarry that day, because a company was giving free demonstrations of a dry suit. This was a problem, because it’s darn-near impossible to tell who’s who when everybody’s wearing a hood. I couldn’t tell which divers were part of my group, or which divers were the instructors.

The instructor told us that we would be swimming over to a platform, then diving. After she’d been talking for 5 minutes, I remarked that I finally understood that the platform was on the bottom, not just under the surface. One of the other instructors made fun of me for not understanding this right away. This is just another example of the instructors not seeing things from the point of view of a neophyte. To a non-diver, a platform in a lake does not usually mean a platform on the bottom of the lake.

Descending the line to the platform was a painful experience for me. I tried equalizing every step of the way, but was unable to equalize quickly. My left ear kept hurting, I would go back up a couple of feet, try again, over and over again. It took me a good 8 minutes to reach the platform, and it was only 15 feet deep.

While descending, I was struggling to maintain neutral buoyancy. I had one hand on the line, one hand on my nose to equalize. But I needed another hand for the inflator/deflator control. And sometimes I couldn’t locate it. Which was disastrous, because I would sink to the bottom of the quarry quickly (making my left ear hurt terribly), and wanted to stop my descent.

Once I was equalized and relatively neutrally buoyant, I knelt along the edge of the platform as instructed. But I kept falling to one side. I was unable to stay steady on the platform.

After we demonstrated the fin flip and hovering, we had been instructed to swim around the platform a few times. Which we did. After surfacing the instructor told us she had wanted us to stay on the platform while swimming around it, not swim around the outside of it. I thought this was not clear at all from the instruction to “swim around the platform”, but she seemed irritated about our lack of understanding.

Another source of irritation to our instructor was the fact that we spent so much time on the bottom of the quarry, stirring up the silt. In my case, this was because of my inability to stay neutrally buoyant. Apparently, some of the other students were having similar difficulties.

When we got out of the quarry from our morning session, we trudged back up the hill wearing all our gear. We were told this was much easier than taking the gear off at the edge of the quarry and carrying it up the hill by hand. I’m sure this was true, but I had the devil of a time making it back to the pavilion. I kept having to stop to rest, and at one point had to sit down on a rock for a few minutes.

At the pavilion I started to get really cold. I wasn’t sure what I should do to stay warm for the one-hour lunch break, so decided to get out of the wet suit entirely and put dry clothes on. It was while struggling out of the stretchy wetsuit that I had the idea to quit. The combination of painful ears, a sense of incompetence, the cold, and severe fatigue was all together making me not have a good time.

I told the instructors that I didn’t think I could carry on for the afternoon dive, but after they encouraged me to not give up I put everything back on and we trudged back down to the quarry.

This time I had to stop and rest several times, even walking downhill. By the time I was wading into the shallows, I began to think that this was not a good idea. I was so exhausted that, if I got into any kind of trouble, I wouldn’t have the strength to deal with it. So I told the instructors I didn’t think I should carry on.

One of the instructors carried my tank and BCD up the hill for me. I thanked him, got showered and dressed, and packed up my gear and put it into my car.

I was so exhausted that I went ahead and stayed the second night in the hotel, even though I wouldn’t be participating in the dive the next day.

Several of us had been planning to have dinner together that evening. I left instructions with one of the divers as to how they could locate me in my hotel, but never got a call about dinner. I wondered at the time whether having dropped out made me persona non grata.

On Sunday night at home I took all the gear into the shower and rinsed it off. I hung it all up to dry overnight. The next morning I packed the gear back into the gear bag and put it in the back of my car to return it that evening after work.

On Monday at work I had one of my colleagues look in my left ear, and he said the tympanic membrane was bulging and red. This meant either that I had had an ear infection before the dive began, or that all the equalizing had traumatized the ear. Since adults don’t get ear infections easily, I suspect it was the latter.

That evening I drove by the dive shop to return the gear. I was greeted in a less-than-friendly fashion by the two owners of the shop. They barely spoke to me. It was weird.

My wife had been unable to do the quarry dive due to work, so we’re both now in the same boat of needing to complete our certifications. We’ve decided to do it in the Caribbean at a resort. I’ve already called PADI, and spoken with a very nice lady who gave me some good suggestions on where to go.

I have to say, though, I’m quite nervous about diving now. I wonder whether I’ll always have that much trouble equalizing and maintaining neutral buoyancy. If so, I imagine scuba diving will never be the joy for me that it is to so many others. But I don’t want to give up on the certification idea. Right now I just want to complete something I started. Hopefully it’ll go okay the second time.

Mr. Beckwith, I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience with your class.

I wonder if you should consider repeating as a private class? It sounds as though you may need a little more time, and a little clearer explanations or just more patience than the average student, and that's one thing you really get from doing things one-on-one.

As far as buoyancy control goes, you are not alone. Read the journal of my open water class (link in my sig line) -- buoyancy challenged me terribly, and in fact, it was my 50th dive before I held a shallow stop in cold water. It is very common for students to be significantly overweighted, especially when instructors like to have people kneel, since it is very difficult to remain stable on your knees if you are properly weighted. Overweighting leads to a lot of air in the BC, which means big changes with depth, especially in very shallow water. In addition, starting on your knees often leads to a diver who doesn't achieve a horizontal position in the water. When you are in a head-up position, every time you kick, you drive yourself upwards, so you have to stay negative to avoid ending up on the surface. In addition, your lungs are a BIG air bladder, and changing from empty lungs to full ones can make you four or five pounds more positive than you were. Disciplining one's breathing is a central part of becoming a stable diver.

As far as the ears go, it's been my experience that a lot of instructors simply don't spend much time teaching students to equalize and to recognize when they have adequately done so. Many students don't even try to equalize until the pressure in their ears is uncomfortable or painful. By that time, it's far harder to get the job done, and the ear is already beginning to be traumatized. The key to equalization is to do it BEFORE you feel the need. In addition, there are various techniques for equalizing, and people differ in which ones work best for them. I think you might benefit from watching THIS (long) video about the diver's ear -- it was made by a physician who has a niche practice in diving medicine, and it's very educational.

As far as misplacing the inflator, I see this very commonly. Usually students grab the end of the snorkel by mistake (this is one of the reasons that snorkels on students annoy me). If you weren't doing that, but simply couldn't find the inflator, then there is at least a chance that you didn't have the inflator run through all the loops or Velcro on the BC that are there to secure it. An instructor or DM should have caught that.

As far as advice for right now, until you can get another class set up, I would highly recommend doing some pool time. Use your mask and snorkel, and practice mask clearing and snorkel clearing, and once your ear is better, free diving and equalization. BTW, it is NOT necessary to tilt your head back to clear your mask, if you are sitting upright. The instruction to tilt your head back is for people who are swimming along in a horizontal position. The goal is to have the place where your mask meets your upper lip as the lowest part of the mask, which it already IS when you are sitting up. Tilting your head back from this position simply places the base of your nasopharynx on a plane where water will run down it and into your throat. This is a very common error in instruction -- I know, because I spent a lot of time choking until I figured it out.

In short, I don't know if you are someone who will be able to learn to dive -- it's impossible to know that without having met you or worked with you. But I can certainly identify some deficiencies in the way you were taught that didn't help make your job any easier. I hope you can find a better and more patient instructor for your next attempt.

I'd like to say I wish your experience was better and I do hope that you finish your certification and become an active diver. With regards to your story, I will say that there are 3 sides to every story (at least). It sounds as if you really needed a private class so that the instructors could spend more time one on one with you and your wife going over the skills.

With regards to the problems you mention -

Reg clearing by purge - this is the first or second skill that you were taught. Honestly, I don't ever remember telling a class how to clear the reg during snorkel/reg exchange, they already learned both of the common ways to do it so and if I'm not mistaken you should have already done and out of air / air share drill before snorkel/reg exchange. This would have been practice R&R the reg underwater.

Mask clearing/ gagging - You were tilting your head way too far back and you were opening your mask too far at the bottom. All you need to to is look up as if you were looking across the room Don't tilt your your head back as if you are looking at the ceiling. Hold the top of your mask firm against your forehead and exhale through your nose. How did you do on the 1 minute no mask breathe and the no mask swim??

BC inflator moving around? It shouldn't but if you habitually can't find it, Put the BC on with your mask - no tank. Wear it around the house practice learning to feel for it without looking.

The hike with the gear - I always tell my students that it's easiest to hike from the car to the water with the gear "But" if you would rather carry it down piecemeal the feel free. Sounds like you should have opted to make a couple trips.

As far as how you were treated, I lean back to my 3 sides statement. There may have been some frustration on the shops part that's for certain, but given that you felt slighted and had your frustrations - where you perceiving something that may not have been?? I don't know.

So you've done the Elearning, completed the Confined Water and Apparently 1 OW dive. If you feel that you cannot complete the class with this shop then you should probably consider referring off to another instructor be it local or elsewhere. All is not lost, and I would seriously consider sitting down with the instructor you've been working with and discussing your perception on how it went. There may just be a misunderstanding that you can clear up and get back to finishing the course.

Good Luck!

After your first call to the LDS and they trashed the on-line courses, would have made me start looking at other places. I'm not going to say you had bad instructors, but instructors driven by how much are we going to make from this student. I did my open water, in Hawaii, and when I first jumped in the ocean it was a huge difference from being in a pool. But I got used to it. Don't know where you're going in the Caribbean but here's a suggestion Couples Swept Away in Negril Jamaica, I was there in August and the dive staff was outstanding. I did my deep certification, and was also having problems with buoyancy, they were very helpful with suggestions. And from what I saw, when they were doing the classes they were very attentive to the students. Here is there website, and face book page. They have gear for use, but I think you have to rent a wetsuit. It's not a long walk to the boat. I had a broken ankle when I went, and they would carry my gear to and from the boat. I wore a 3 mill wet suit, but the water was a warm 84 degrees, I don't think it gets much cooler than that. One thing to keep in mind, you probably won't be on a platform, but the sandy bottom of the ocean. Good luck to you, hope you're diving soon.

All Inclusive

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Another comment . . . we deal all the time, here in Puget Sound, with the huge transition students have to make from no exposure protection, no weight, and small tanks in the pool, to heavy exposure protection, heavy weights, and low viz in open water. I just don't know a way to make that step any less stressful. Having folks wear hoods and gloves in the pool helps a little bit, but they still end up goggle-eyed, panting, and not very happy by the time they have struggled into all that neoprene and carted 70 pounds or more of gear to the water. The fact is that cold water diving is hard physical work a lot of the time, and you have to want it. It DOES help to piecemeal the gear as close to the water as feasible -- I often sit down and take my tank off on driftwood, and walk up the hill with just my weight belt, and come back later for the rig itself. I've helped students drop weight belts or integrated weights once they are on shore, to make the job of getting the gear to the sea wall 20 lbs easier.

It does get better with time and practice. I couldn't climb out of the pool with an Al63 on six years ago; I do it in doubles now.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement: "It turns out that they shouldn’t say lean your head back and then breathe out through your nose. They should say, start breathing out through your nose before you lean your head back. That way the water in the mask doesn’t go into your nose."

Before you can become a safe diver, you will need to be able to remove your mask and continue breathing with little or no discomfort regardless of the positio0n of your head. There are a number of experience in scuba that are somewhat unnatural with which you will need to become comfortable. Some discomfort may not prevent you from being certified, but to become a safe diver, you will need to be able to deal with these things in a manner that will not lead to panic. Things like mask clearing, breathing with no mask, and equalizing can be practiced in a pool with just a mask and a snorkel. I suggest you talk to your instructor or shop to identify those things you can practice without scuba gear so they are not a source of discomfort when you next decide to don scuba gear.

Absolutely nothing wrong going for online elearning as you did.All you would have to do is the short 19 question review and hand in your completion sheet from PADI..No final exam-no quiz-no knowledge reviews.As to a lower price for the course,that is not usually done as costs per student for the facility stays the same in a standard group class.We charge from $200. to $289. for a group class,depening on the schedule. OW training dives are not included.
We charge $600. for a private course and if the student opts for elearning we charge $500.
Sounds like what you got from the instructor was a standard group class run correctly.The instructor explained the skill-demonstrated it and asked you to do it.If you needed more than that,then a private course is more to what you may need.There you will get more one to one time with the instructor to work out issues.Its not really fair when in a group class to stop or slow down the course if you have issues and everyone else is moving along. Example of partial mask clearing,many of our students=about 90 to 100%- get it done correctly 1st time they try it after skill explained and demo'ed.If they do not get it the 1st time thats ok,lets try it again and the student can work on it on their own or with a assistant dm while the rest of the class moves on.
It is expected that the student comes in prepared,as you did with elearning,but perhaps physically unprepared..How good a swimmer are you? Do you go into the water often and have no issues in the water and are a comfortable swimmer or last time you did was once years ago? Do you run or ride a bicycle for endurance?

The most important aspect of learning how to dive:

TRUST

If you don't trust your instructor, you will not have a good experience. Interview instructors as you would anyone else you are going to employ. If it doesn't feel exactly right, move on.

Your motivation is there. You obviously WANT to dive.

Fix the instrutor issue, believe in yourself, and the rest will follow.

There are some very competent and patient instructors.

Don't give up and find an instructor that meets your needs.

A good instructor makes all the difference.

I just did OW (Jan 2011), I'm 42, my SO is older than me, and we did the course with her 12 yr old son.

Easy for him, easy for her, I found that equalizing to be VERY difficult. Still is, but I least I know why, and I let everyone know about it, and I take my time. It can take me 15 mins or MORE to get to 40'+, the first 15 is quick, then it gets harder.

Once I've dove to 50'+, the next dive I can make it down in 2-3 minutes! Same the next day. As soon as I've not dove for over a week, it's a slow process.

I swallow air, but my biggest problem is both ear canals don't equalize equally, it gets very painful. I just stay on the line, go up a bit, down a bit, breathing UW, moving my jaw around, tilting my head, swallowing, etc.

Usually it pops, pain goes away, and I can go 5-10 feet deeper.

I really DO NOT like dives to 100 feet for this reason, and the deep dive is always first. I tell the DM that I'll follow the group from above (if there's no current and the DM okays it). Usually, the entire group suffers my wait...

...BUT, divers are notoriously good sports, and not once on a dozen trips so far, has someone criticized me.

My first drip down, for certification, was about 40'. Took me nearly 30 minutes to get down, on the line.

On the line - remember that - don't free fall and then trip to paddle your way up, you'll over-compensate, kick too much, use up a bunch of air, and probably become frustrated.

On a line (with a buoy or the boat or a dock) you go up & down using your hands.

****** Don't let your dream of diving DIE !!!!! You haven't LIVED until you've floated by corals, fish, sea turtles, in the warm sea.
****** Diving is so much better than snorkeling, and easier, once you can equalize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom