My New Semi-Wet Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbrooks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So… I just received my new Bare CD4 dry suit. I waited about a month to get it as it was custom from Bare. I was so excited about this new suit and to prove it, I was in the water (39F) about 3 hours after the mail man dropped it off. The dive was not too bad – low viz. (might as well have been a night dive), and the current was pretty strong. Nonetheless, I was up for the challenge. The dive only lasted about 20 minutes as the current was stronger than we thought. Once out, we doffed all the gear. As I was changing, I noticed my left leg as soaked around the ankle … PERFECT! We pulled the leg inside out as much as we could, and the inside was wet.
I arrive home somewhat pissed off. I called the retailer and he deferred me to Bare. I was disappointed with this as they “pride” themselves on their service (like everyone else, right?) So, I end up calling Bare. I explained that I received this suit today, and it leaked on my first dive. The very nice lady said they would send UPS to pick it up, repair it, and send it back… With a 3 week turnaround time; granted, it takes 3 days to get across Canada. I'm glad they referred me to Bare - even though they may just be deferring it - because in the long run, it will cut out the "middle man" and hopefully have a faster turn around time.
All in all – it will get fixed. Its too bad it happened. There go my New Years’ Day and Christmas break diving plans. I’ll see how this turns out and post again.

sbrooks:
So… I just received my new Bare CD4 dry suit. I waited about a month to get it as it was custom from Bare. I was so excited about this new suit and to prove it, I was in the water (39F) about 3 hours after the mail man dropped it off. The dive was not too bad – low viz. (might as well have been a night dive), and the current was pretty strong. Nonetheless, I was up for the challenge. The dive only lasted about 20 minutes as the current was stronger than we thought. Once out, we doffed all the gear. As I was changing, I noticed my left leg as soaked around the ankle … PERFECT! We pulled the leg inside out as much as we could, and the inside was wet.
I arrive home somewhat pissed off. I called the retailer and he deferred me to Bare. I was disappointed with this as they “pride” themselves on their service (like everyone else, right?) So, I end up calling Bare. I explained that I received this suit today, and it leaked on my first dive. The very nice lady said they would send UPS to pick it up, repair it, and send it back… With a 3 week turnaround time; granted, it takes 3 days to get across Canada.
All in all – it will get fixed. Its too bad it happened. There go my New Years’ Day diving plans. I’ll see how this turns out and post again.

Or, you could just dive it that way. All dry suits are only really semi-dry suits.

Edit: Sorry, have had my fair share of dry suit issues recently.

I dont recall ever having a totally dry dive with either of my suits.

hmm.. The only moister I have in my suit after a dry dive is perspiration.

Sorry to hear about your luck. It happens sometimes. It will be fixed and you will be on your way in no time. :)

I don't think I would mind a bit of water/dampness at the wrist, neck, or inflator .. But this was way too much. I was only in for 20 mins and my left leg was really wet. Plus, its brand new - shouldn't be doing that on the first dive.
S

amascuba:
hmm.. The only moister I have in my suit after a dry dive is perspiration.

Same here. I've had several "leakers" in my day, but I've got a Mobby's bib front that's around 5 years old that I've never had leak with.

Yea i'm with amascuba, I stay fully dry almost every dive. I'm in a DUI CF200X, nice and dry.

But on the other hand, the fact that you didnt notice you were wet until the end of the dive proves the usefullness of your drysuit. The point of a drysuit is to be warm, having nice dry clothes underneath is a nice plus.

Polyester underwear also do wonders. Polyester has magical powers that help wick moister away from the skin. :)

I have had one suit flood during my first few dry dives. It was a good thing I was in relatively warm water, because I came out of the water looking like the mushroom man.

Yep just don't ever put your stuff through the dryer, tneds to destroy the synthetic fibers and waxes that insulate you through moisture.

randyjoy:
Same here. I've had several "leakers" in my day, but I've got a Mobby's bib front that's around 5 years old that I've never had leak with.

Man, that's the same piece of cr... I mean the same dry suit as I have. I am forever fixing seal tape that is delaminating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom