Could these threads on a plastic zip cause my drysuit to leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a couple of dives yesterday my right leg was wet. I’m wondering if the culprit could be these threads at the end of the drysuit zip. It’s a plastic zip (YKK I think) on an Otter suit. End of the zip is at my right hip, and after the dive I felt dripping down the right leg. Left leg (plumbed side) was dry, and there was no offensive odour.
Is this likely? And any suggestions to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_6917.jpeg
    IMG_6917.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 104
Can you turn the suit inside out and close the zipper so we can see it from that angle?

Clean it and try and get any debris away from that docking end, then wax that whole docking area again. No real need to wax the whole zipper on the plastic zippers.

If you still have a leak then leak test it. There are other seams that may leak also, which is a much simpler repair. Its difficult to diagnose leaks without seeing the suit in person and testing it.

Has the end of the dry zipper pulled away from the material of the suit, where that little sliver of brown is showing to the right of your finger?
The brown is the adhesive (I guess you knew this), with the manufacturer erring on the side of too much rather than too little. I don’t think it’s pulled away but I didn’t inspect it earlier so can’t say for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_6919.jpeg
    IMG_6919.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 55
Can you turn the suit inside out and close the zipper so we can see it from that angle?
Here it is inside out, with the zip open and closed. There is a small split in the material directly inline with the end of the zip. Most visible in the photos with the zip open. Not sure it that’s normal or not. Also a small crack exposing white threads to the side (most visible in the photo with the zip closed). I guess a dab of adhesive wouldn’t go astray here.

Attachments

• IMG_6920.jpeg
    IMG_6920.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6923.jpeg
    IMG_6923.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6921.jpeg
    IMG_6921.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
pinnacle suit?

I threw one out that was in otherwise good condition because of that nasty brown glue crap.
I would advise anyone against getting one that get a new suit every year/2.

Here it is inside out, with the zip open and closed. There is a small split in the material directly inline with the end of the zip. Most visible in the photos with the zip open. Not sure it that’s normal or not. Also a small crack exposing white threads to the side (most visible in the photo with the zip closed). I guess a dab of adhesive wouldn’t go astray here.
Looking at that I would say either of those two locations you have identified could be the culprit, but it needs a leak test to really nail it down.

Flip it inside out, plug the neck and wrists and flip the inflator around, then use your tank/drysuit hose to fill it up. Soapy water on the end of that zipper and use a sponge to make it all sudsy. If it looks to be the zipper dock end, put some extra wax on it, open and close it a few times then leak test again and see if it stops. If its either of the two locations you have identified (because of splits) its not going to be save-able sorry, and you're going to need a new zipper.

pinnacle suit?

I threw one out that was in otherwise good condition because of that nasty brown glue crap.
I would advise anyone against getting one that get a new suit every year/2.
It’s an Otter suit and has served me well for the past 10 or so years. The glue works even if it’s ugly on the inside.

Looking at that I would say either of those two locations you have identified could be the culprit, but it needs a leak test to really nail it down.

Flip it inside out, plug the neck and wrists and flip the inflator around, then use your tank/drysuit hose to fill it up. Soapy water on the end of that zipper and use a sponge to make it all sudsy. If it looks to be the zipper dock end, put some extra wax on it, open and close it a few times then leak test again and see if it stops. If its either of the two locations you have identified (because of splits) its not going to be save-able sorry, and you're going to need a new zipper.
Thanks for advice. I’ll give this a shot when I get a chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom