My "new" independent doubles setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that’s the only polite response I could muster. I’m scratching my head at you saying SM felt like slinging a bottle. I’ve slung bottles backmount plenty of times in the past. SM is nothing like that. But doing it with ALs instead of steels is a very different experience, from what I read. I feel sorry for the people who are stuck doing SM with ALs. All sorts of floaty to deal with. :rofl3:

Not one, but two inline shutoffs on the primary. Is you're favorite movie Deathwish. You've created an overly complicated configuration that is creating more problems than it's solving. If you're comfortable diving it, then albeit go for it. It would scare the hell out of me if one of my buddies walked up to a divesite with that. At least you used a scubapro reg.

Of course it scares you you have very little diving experience. Thanks for your post.

:popcorn:

@AfterDark - If the scar tissue keeps advancing (both shoulders surgically repaired), I may end up with your configuration.

I've got the options of a Pilot (converted), a few Air1, and a D420 to give a try....

Let me know your findings....

IDK, maybe sidemount, but haven't had the motivation to figure it out at this time...

The D420 is a good choice especially if you have one already. The only reason I'm using the AIR is because it'll work and I have it already. If I had $600-700 to spend on a D420 there'd be a D420 between those inline valves. Good luck it sucks this aging crap does.

Well, that’s the only polite response I could muster. I’m scratching my head at you saying SM felt like slinging a bottle. I’ve slung bottles backmount plenty of times in the past. SM is nothing like that. But doing it with ALs instead of steels is a very different experience, from what I read. I feel sorry for the people who are stuck doing SM with ALs. All sorts of floaty to deal with. :rofl3:

With properly rigged steels, you kinda forget they're there... amiright?

With properly rigged steels, you kinda forget they're there... amiright?

Pretty much. There’s definitely no fooking around with sliding D rings and crap of that sort to keep them floaty AL butts down.

@AfterDark’s get up is what I can politely describe as a “hot mess.” Heaven save us from DIYers! :rofl3:

All I dive are steel tanks I wear'em on my back where scuba tanks belong. :) Tanks hanging off ones side is like wearing shoes on your ears, but that's only my opinion which I'm sure I'm allowed to have.

One of the "drawbacks" of independent doubles (IDs) is the regulator changes. Removing a regulator from one's mouth at 100+ feet is something that some people might advise against.
It can also create the false image that you maybe in trouble.

For example: A DM once
I'm pretty certain everyone who dives side-mount, and plenty of technical-divers have zero problem with regulator switching at any depth.

In fact, I'd recommend people switch regulators more often. We all learn how to do it in our initial open-water class. By doing it semi-frequently, you'll be more practiced, know your regulators are properly stored/retained, and know they both work well (including at depth). It's a really easy skill, though I'd say if someone hasn't practiced it in a while, do some practice at the surface, face down, switching regulators.

The "DM" was apparently not familiar with independent doubles. The ignorance of other divers isn't a reason for me to change my kit. I simply mean "ignorance" according to it's definition, and not an insult, we were all ignorant about everything scuba at some point. The one caveat to the above, is that you need to ensure your dive-buddy is familiar enough with your system in order to air-share.

Anyway, the setup is clever, and interesting. I don't hate it, though I don't think I'd dive it myself, just because I've gotten into side-mount. For the general public, I'd recommend just going with two independent regulator-sets (side or back-mount), and switching, if you want fully independent redundant air and more air. Or manifolded doubles, if you just want more air. Or a pony-bottle if you only need redundant air.

I've never dove SM or independent doubles so I have no experience to justify my opinion...so here it is.

Looking at this it dosen't seem to complicated in theory. Maybe it's complicated in hardware but the theory of it's use seems straight forward.
I'm imagining it goes something like this...

1. Turn on air.
2. Put modified regulator in mouth with one in line valve open and the other closed.
3. Breath.
4. After breathing 500 psi from one tank, reach up and close one inline valve and open the other.
5. Breath and repeat the process every 500 psi.

Seems simple. All the hardware "looks" complicated but it dosen't seem hard to use in theory. The in line shut offs for the secondary 109's seems excessive but I guess it prevents free flows.

You could get really crazy and get a dual bladder wing and add TWO Air2's and then you'd have 5 second stages!!! Take that redundancy.

Is it the hardware that people don't like? Is there a reliability problem with the in line shut offs? I really don't know and am seriously curious as to why people think this is a bad idea. Is there something inherently dangerous about the setup or is it just different. It looks like something I would engineer with my Wile E. Coyote brain.

I hope it works out like you envision. Update as you proceed please. Be safe.

It always amazes me when someone has a different setup and others jump on the bandwagon of "that's not right!" We've all changed our setups over time, this is no different, just multiplied by a lot more time. I can't imagine what my setup will look like after 50 YEARS of diving! In comparison, I'm still just learning to crawl....haven't even made it to baby steps yet, lol. What happened to dive and let dive?

Thanks for sharing @AfterDark, I'd dive with you in that setup any day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom