My "new" independent doubles setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raw

I’m just kidding, if it works for you and your comfortable with it then dive it. Many of us will find it confusing and overly complicated but that’s mainly because we are not familiar with it. I use standard doubles and my single tanks use Y valves but who knows, I have my first shoulder surgery in a few weeks and the other side after a few months so who knows what I might have to come up with.

raw

I’m just kidding, if it works for you and your comfortable with it then dive it. Many of us will find it confusing and overly complicated but that’s mainly because we are not familiar with it. I use standard doubles and my single tanks use Y valves but who knows, I have my first shoulder surgery in a few weeks and the other side after a few months so who knows what I might have to come up with.

Hey good luck with that shoulder. My 1st one was very good but 10 years later I did it again and the second time no so good. My advise is don't do it again, hurt it that is.

Yes, people often confuse the unfamiliar with complicated but it doesn't get much easier to dive than that rig at least in theory at this point. It really depends if the AIR 2nd stage works as it should every thing else is tried and true hardware.

I added a picture of the rig with 2 second stages instead of the AIR.

raw

That is, hands down, the funniest GIF I've ever seen.

It gives me visions of Sir Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lechter for some reason

No one would want to use that whatever you’ve jury rigged up for SM. Unless they were off their rocker.

WHY?

I would but I don't like SM.

Not one, but two inline shutoffs on the primary. Is you're favorite movie Deathwish. You've created an overly complicated configuration that is creating more problems than it's solving. If you're comfortable diving it, then albeit go for it. It would scare the hell out of me if one of my buddies walked up to a divesite with that. At least you used a scubapro reg.

@AfterDark - If the scar tissue keeps advancing (both shoulders surgically repaired), I may end up with your configuration.

I've got the options of a Pilot (converted), a few Air1, and a D420 to give a try....

Let me know your findings....

IDK, maybe sidemount, but haven't had the motivation to figure it out at this time...

Not one, but two inline shutoffs on the primary. Is you're favorite movie Deathwish. You've created an overly complicated configuration that is creating more problems than it's solving. If you're comfortable diving it, then albeit go for it. It would scare the hell out of me if one of my buddies walked up to a divesite with that. At least you used a scubapro reg.

Of course it scares you you have very little diving experience. Thanks for your post.

Yah, not sure what turned this diver off sidemount so badly to resort to this convoluted (but kinda cool) setup. My guess would be poor instructor and/or SM setup.

I don't like slung tanks to begin with, very rarely do it, avoid when I can. SM was more like that then I could stand. Plus at this stage of my dive experience I'm not going to spend the money to get new gear that I may use for a few more years and then get bad medical news that ends my diving. I'm not a kid I'm pushing 70. The best instructor the world isn't going to convince me to like something I don't like. I've spent the last 53 years diving BM anything else doesn't feel right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom