My "new" independent doubles setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waiting on my first Pilot purchased from Scubaboard member. Do you know if the pilots poppet is interchangeable with a D400?
I have no idea, but don’t think it would be interchangeable. I think that only applied to the A.I.R. I. The D400 is several models downstream of that. I don’t think you should change out the Pilot innards either, as that is a fantastic regulator, one which has probably yet to be equaled in any second stage.

SeaRat

PS, it is not the poppet that is interchangeable Pilot to A.I.R. I; it is the entire internal mechanism. The Pilot has no poppet, as such, but rather a pilot valve mechanism.

In 1979 the US Navy used the Pilot in 1800FSW; from Regulator Savvy.

Got the regtech hat on been doing some refreshing; been 4 years since I serviced them. Got all the 1stages done and 2 of the 4 2nd stages. All the 1st stages have solid 130 IPs @3000 and 120 @300 except one that remains @130 @300psi.

Got the AIR as my primary for a dive tomorrow. The LP hose will be connected to the left port on this dive. The second dive I'll connect both sides at the same time. Then when I get my 50's back (I hope) I'll be ready to make the Alpha sea trial with the final setup. The swivel on the octo will be removed, it gets in the way of the LP hose feeding the right port of the AIR from the 5thLP port on the MK5, other than that and 50s instead of 72s what you see in the 1st post is how I'll dive it hopeful a lot over the next 3 months.

Thanks all of you for this really informative thread :):)
For the sake of the discussion, I was thinking if this kind of set-up would work with a non-pilot second stage regulator.
Of course, with "normal" second stage regulator, some models can be fitted having the hose coming from the left or the right but choice has to be made.
So would it be possible to put a manifold (1 in 2, a Y-port for example) on one side and have the two independant LP hoses from the 2 first stages connected to that manifold?
Stupid?:)

According to Tony Christianson, the inventor of the Pilot regulator, the “upgrade” to A.I.R. I internals was actually a downgrade.

SeaRat
That was the reason of writing "upgraded" in double quotes...
In practice the AIR-1 was a simplified design without the pilot valve mechanism.

I have no idea, but don’t think it would be interchangeable. I think that only applied to the A.I.R. I. The D400 is several models downstream of that. I don’t think you should change out the Pilot innards either, as that is a fantastic regulator, one which has probably yet to be equaled in any second stage.

SeaRat

PS, it is not the poppet that is interchangeable Pilot to A.I.R. I; it is the entire internal mechanism. The Pilot has no poppet, as such, but rather a pilot valve mechanism.
Just taking a quick look at the drawing, seem there’s a ball that works against an orifice. Not sue if thats correct?

Thanks all of you for this really informative thread :):)
For the sake of the discussion, I was thinking if this kind of set-up would work with a non-pilot second stage regulator.
Of course, with "normal" second stage regulator, some models can be fitted having the hose coming from the left or the right but choice has to be made.
So would it be possible to put a manifold (1 in 2, a Y-port for example) on one side and have the two independant LP hoses from the 2 first stages connected to that manifold?
Stupid?:)
You could put Primary on Low IP 1st, alternate on the High IP 1st. LP hose to inline shutoff to LP hose runs from one first to the other, hanging on you chest. Requires a notable IP split and moves the shutoff to a chest mount (or wherever you want to route it). Opening and closing the shutoff would determine which tank was feeding the primary reg, and closing it would also effectively isolate the 2 tanks..... Leaving one second stage on each tank.

Respectfully,

James

Rube Goldberg comes to SCUBA diving.

Given that this is the Solo forum, diving an unorthodox gear configuration should be embraced, but honestly, if you showed up on my boat with that gear, I'd send you back to the rental department.

@oya has done a fine job outlining the shortfalls of this system, but to each his own.

Why a Pilot or Air-1 with two hoses fed by two independent first stages is considered "unorthodox gear configuration"?
It was a standard setup officially endorsed by the manufacturer; when these regs were in production, and at the time I had seen this setup in use.
Or do you refer to the usage of "vintage" regs? I think that MK5 and 109 are not really vintage, as they are still in normal use for a lot of divers (me included).

It was a standard setup officially endorsed by the manufacturer; when these regs were in production, and at the time I had seen this setup in use.

Really? I can't say I've heard of such a thing. I'd love to see your source for this. (Not doubting you, I'd just like to understand where you're getting this information.)

And I agree about the Mk5/109 regs. I have a bucket of them that I no longer use, but they were always solid regulators.

Back
Top Bottom