My new G250Vs and ramblings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob, look up crescent shaped airplane wings very complex beyond me but maybe you can gain some insight.
That's a different phenomenon. Airflow and lift is greater out at the wingtip than near the fuselage. Therefore it's more effective to have a wing that stalls "gradually" rather than all at once. The greater sweep of the inner portion at low airspeed allows the stall to roll out from the fuselage to the wingtip, preserving lift at the most important area and thereby preserving longitudinal stability.
A related but opposite effect occurs at high airspeed.

As @Open Ocean Diver points out, this is a subtle effect. Maybe instead of @couv 's airfoil, we have something as inelegant as a barn door.
In one position, the barn door is more in the way of airflow than in the other, and causes more turbulence, less vacuum and hence no freeflow.
View attachment 635043
The vane above has a semi open side (crescent) and a flat side. Maybe it's as simple as whether the deflector is a little forward, or a little aft in the airflow.
Pictures say a 1000 words. That makes sense.

So my adj knob position "finding" is not a factor?
Definitely a factor. You had two stacked curves, one which went positive and one didn't. Why it didn't go positive all the way out is hard to know, but probably related to a subtle mechanical push on the spring when your knob reached the stop.
But the vane effects are still there; just not in a good enough position to pull one of the curves positive.

That's a different phenomenon. Airflow and lift is greater out at the wingtip than near the fuselage. Therefore it's more effective to have a wing that stalls "gradually" rather than all at once. The greater sweep of the inner portion at low airspeed allows the stall to roll out from the fuselage to the wingtip, preserving lift at the most important area and thereby preserving longitudinal stability.
Your explanation should be included in Wikipedia.

Nah. There are enough errors in it that any aeronautical engineer would rip it to shreds. But thanks.

Definitely a factor. You had two stacked curves, one which went positive and one didn't. Why it didn't go positive all the way out is hard to know, but probably related to a subtle mechanical push on the spring when your knob reached the stop.
But the vane effects are still there; just not in a good enough position to pull one of the curves positive.

So nothing for me to worry any further about? I can dive and and forget?

So nothing for me to worry any further about? I can dive and and forget?
Absolutely! If your lever is getting full excursion, the absence of freeflow is close to meaningless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom