My Month Is Still On !!! Wooo Hooooo!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok sports fans.........my month is back on.

In case you have no clue what I am talking about.....I had planned to take a month off from work....my boss is trying to work with me.....and spend it on an island somewhere diving....chilling.....just taking a break. Yep.... A FULL MONTH !!

Well, then, one day driving to work in the rain....a guy coming head on loses control of his car and practically cuts my brand new truck (less than 9k miles) almost in half. Luckily I wasnt hurt ....to the best of my knowledge...I am no doctor and his insurance company can not use this post against me as I do have a slight abdominal pain.....

anyway.....my insurance company finally decided to total my new truck and write me a check for more than I paid for it....(pays to haggle)....and then I managed to buy a brand new 07 truck for less than I paid for my 06......(really pays to haggle)....

so my month is back on !!!!!

I am looking at Barbados in the Aug or Sept time frame. I was considering Bonaire but I have a number of friends who say they are going to join me for a while and some dont dive so Barbados makes more sense than Bonaire.

If any of you are interested in joining me for a while there is an open invite and I am sure all who come will have a ball.

If you want more details on hotel ...yada yada....pm me and I will get back to you.

Oh man.....my month is back on !!!! Woooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Martha....you just need to take a break from Tx for a while.....maybe not a whole month, but come on down for a while and join us.

Rich, that sounds marvelous! Last year I spent 4 months living on an island/state park... My only responsibilities were to be a daddy, loving husband and volunteer 25 hours a week to the park. I can't even begin to tell you what kind of difference that down time has made in my life. I'm sure you'll be in the lap of luxery and relaxtion.. the world will never look the same to you again after you return :)

Rich, 4 to 6 weeks of vacation time each year is pretty standard in western industrialized nations, with the exception of the US. In most european nations people take about 4 weeks during the main vacation season, and maybe a shorter two week vacation at some other time. Many industrialized nations also require employers to pay an extra '13th' month salary for vacation use.
Most civilized nations see a continous month off as a minimum. Anything less is inhumane, a kind of semi-slavery enforced by greedy employers allowed to do whatever they want in order to make more money for the shareholders. Competitive pressures then make this kind of thing necessary across the board. Without government regulations limiting what employers can require, and strong independent unions, there is an inevitable erosion of employee benefits. Most Americans fail to realize how badly treated they are in this area.

I hope you get and enjoy your month, and that you get one every year, as common decency and humane standards should mandate.

Woo hoo for you Rich! Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

agilis:
Most Americans fail to realize how badly treated they are in this area.

So true! But in the end it's not really that they don't realize it, it's that they know if they open their mouth the next guy is already waiting in line...

So true! But in the end it's not really that they don't realize it, it's that they know if they open their mouth the next guy is already waiting in line...

^^^ Rack It!!!

Yep, as I noted in another thread, I lived in Europe for 12 years and was amazed all the time on how they did their "holiday". Americans definitely dont have a clue and some are definitely worried about their job. I did work at a place once...note the once....where you were looked down upon if you even took a vacation. Had to leave that place.

there is an open invite and I am sure all who come will have a ball.

this is all on you, right? How many can I bring? (glad you're okay)

mean to say not everyone gets 6 weeks off a year like i do. plus i carried over 2 weeks from last year.(total of 8 weeks to use). i guess it helps to be at one company for over 20 years, and don't worry i will use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom