My longest dives to date, and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladephotog

Contributor
Reaction score
Saturday afternoon a group of us met up in Harbor Beach, Mi. to dive the Dunderberg in Lake Huron. Despite some bumpy surface conditions the weather was nice and we splashed in at 3:45.

My buddy had a glove leak so I bobbed in the water for a few minutes waiting for it to get fixed. We finally proceeded down the line but she had to bail at about 50 feet because of the leak. I had two divers ahead of me and more coming down the line so I went ahead.

My dive went perfect, except for camera failure, and according to plan which I post here -
DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 5 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 600ft (s)
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 145ft (2) Nitrox 26 50ft/min descent.
Level 145ft 27:05 (30) Nitrox 26 1.40 ppO2, 134ft ead
Asc to 70ft (32) Nitrox 26 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 70ft 0:30 (33) Nitrox 26 0.81 ppO2, 63ft ead
Stop at 60ft 2:00 (35) Nitrox 26 0.73 ppO2, 54ft ead
Stop at 50ft 3:00 (38) Nitrox 26 0.65 ppO2, 45ft ead
Stop at 40ft 4:00 (42) Nitrox 26 0.57 ppO2, 35ft ead
Stop at 30ft 4:00 (46) Nitrox 80 1.53 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 20ft 14:00 (60) Nitrox 80 1.28 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (60) Nitrox 80 -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 96.6ft

OTU's this dive: 81
CNS Total: 32.5%

133.1 cu ft Nitrox 26
21.3 cu ft Nitrox 80
154.4 cu ft TOTAL

Ascent rates were excellent. Got out of the water feeling as well as I ever do.

I went to dinner and had a little pain in my shoulder area but blew it off as I always have a little pain in that shoulder. It felt like drysuit squeeze. After dinner I got my gear ready for the next day's dive and went to bed. The shoulder pain had gone away by now.

I woke up at 12:30am with pins and needles pain in both wrists and hands and in my right elbow. I thought maybe I slept on them wrong. Got up and moved around which, of course didn't do anything.

I tried to go back to bed but woke up again a short time later. I went on O2 at 2:30 and took some aspirin. The pain subsided but then game back. I called DAN at 3am and they suspected, as I, that I probably took a hit even though I shouldn't have.

The thing is the pain would come and go, making me more in denial I guess. But by 6am I'd had enough and drove to Detroit Receiving Hospital and into the ER.

I was diagnosed with a probable Type I hit and went into the chamber. I was scheduled for a 3-4 hour ride but did a Table 6, 7 1/2 hour ride. The pain stabilized after about 5 hours. It was completely gone in my left and mild to moderate in my right elbow, wrist and hand.

Monday morning much of the pain was back on the right side. I was scheduled to go back in but because of insurance problems, basically getting an approval number, I didn't get in until Tuesday afternoon. I then was scheduled for a Table 5 two hour dive and ended up doing a Table 6 extended to 6 hours. The pain and pins and needles sensation was gone in my left hand and wrist and diminished in my right and the pain in my elbow was gone.

Wednesday morning everything was as good as when I left the chamber Tuesday night. I went back in Wednesday afternoon for a Table 5 two hour dive and again had it extended and did 4 hours 50 minutes. Following the dive my left side is about 90-95% normal and my right improved to pins and needles sensation in three fingers but no real pain.

Being as mild as my case is, I thought I'd be in and out of the chamber with all the pain quickly resolved but I was wrong. The hyperbaric doc, also a diver, was great. He looked at my profiles and and agreed I shouldn't have gotten a hit. He also reaffirmed what I already know that a diver can do everything perfectly and still get hit. It just happens.

He also said they never know how someone is going to react to chamber treatment. Everyone responds differently. The hyperbaric staff at DRH is great. Sundau was a long day for everyone. But they were extremely pleasant and took good care of me. They even delivered Jimmy John's sandwiches into the chamber for me and the technician with me.

Looking back I can't find any glaring reason why I got bent. I have a few suspicions though. One, with a newborn baby at home I'm probably more tired all the time than normal. Two, I did probably work a little harder than normal on the surface. Three, I don't normally choose 80% for a deco gas using 100% instead. But by using 80% I could boost my cylinder to 3000psi making it possible to get an extra dive off the cylinder. It's a compromise which I've done before. So maybe it was a combination of those factors. I'll never know.

I don't know that I'd probably not do much different except use 100% O2. My hydration levels were good. In the future I'll probably set my V-Planner at +4 conservatism for extra safety. But going by the numbers I should have been fine. But as an instructor friend of mine told me, "that's why it's called decompression THEORY."

The folks at DAN were excellent. The medic did a follow up call on Tuesday and we had a nice conversation. He said DRH gave me the exact same treatment DAN would've given me at Duke Unversity. So that's comforting.

My outlook is good. I should easily recover to dive again but it won't be this year. Because of the intense treatment I got I'll be out of the water for at least 6 months. The real lesson learned is listen to your body and don't deny the symptoms. The DAN medic said they have a joke that denial is one of the symptoms of DCI. I think he's right.

Wow Andy, hope you are feeling better now. That's just crazy,....Now for the important part, you didn't flood your camera did you???

OH BOY! Sorry to hear it, but happy to hear that you will recover :wink:

Glad you are on the mend!

What was the water temperature? I ude +2 conservatism all the time diving in warm water,but if I was doing square profiles in cold water then I would up the conservatism,probably to,+4.

What did you do at the end of the dive? Did you walk uphill with doubles and a stage bottle? After a significant deco dive I like to dump my gear at the waters edge and pick it up later.

Have you dived profiles similar to this in the past?

CheddarChick:
Wow Andy, hope you are feeling better now. That's just crazy,....Now for the important part, you didn't flood your camera did you???

Thanks, no I didn't flood the camera. It was a battery problem.

Water temp was a typical 41 F. End of the dive I unloaded gear from the boat to the car like I normally do. Conditions were what I normally dive and my behavior before and after the dive was normal as well. And I have done this dive twice in the past and this profile quite a few times.

bladephotog:
Looking back I can't find any glaring reason why I got bent.

Three, I don't normally choose 80% for a deco gas using 100% instead. But by using 80% I could boost my cylinder to 3000psi making it possible to get an extra dive off the cylinder. It's a compromise which I've done before.

I don't know that I'd probably not do much different except use 100% O2.

You went from 145ft to 30ft with no good oxygen window, then tried to clean up on 80% at 20ft with a ppo2 of 1.2x or essentially what you'd be swimming on at the bottom with a good mix.

Seems suspect to me, but I don't know much about this stuff.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your ride. Hope you are 100% better and back in the water soon.

As to O2 windows (remembering that it is theory), I can subjectively say that I personally feel "cleaner" when, if I only have one bottle to go to, I make the switch to the single deco bottle at 70' (50%) and ride it to the surface, rather than riding my bottom mix to 20 feet and switching to O2. Is it because my body likes opening up to the fast compartments? Who knows. Also, the fact that I would do that dive only with HE (faster gas) might be why my body likes the deeper deco mix.

One question, do you exit the water right on VP's schedule, or take longer between the last stop and the surface? Also, did you spend any time on the surface before exiting the dive? (gee, that's 2 questions :wink: )

Why no 10ft stop? It sounds like you went straight from 1.7ata to 1.0ata in a few seconds after doing your 20ft stop. When I do this profile in v-planner it gives me a long 10-ft stop.

I'm glad to hear your recovery went well!

bladephotog:
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 145ft (2) Nitrox 26 50ft/min descent.
Level 145ft 27:05 (30) Nitrox 26 1.40 ppO2, 134ft ead
Asc to 70ft (32) Nitrox 26 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 70ft 0:30 (33) Nitrox 26 0.81 ppO2, 63ft ead
Stop at 60ft 2:00 (35) Nitrox 26 0.73 ppO2, 54ft ead
Stop at 50ft 3:00 (38) Nitrox 26 0.65 ppO2, 45ft ead
Stop at 40ft 4:00 (42) Nitrox 26 0.57 ppO2, 35ft ead
Stop at 30ft 4:00 (46) Nitrox 80 1.53 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 20ft 14:00 (60) Nitrox 80 1.28 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (60) Nitrox 80 -30ft/min ascent.

Back
Top Bottom