My LDS called yesterday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My LDS called me yesterday to tell me that he had received a set of vintage double 72s in a trade and, knowing my penchant for the old stuff, offered to sell them to me. The set comes with harness, three-piece, USD single post manifold, bands, fresh hydro and vis with airfill for the total of $125 to me. Of course I told him I'd take them. I'm going down Saturday to pick them up.:D

Fresh hydro and vis with fills? Sweet deal. J-valves?

Yep. The manifold is the old-fashioned, center post, J-valve type.

Yep. The manifold is the old-fashioned, center post, J-valve type.

And that's what the NASA divers use in the pool every day. I'm pretty sure that they are on 80's, though.

I had picked up a few items of my Dads after he passed. Here is my J valve set-up.

2013-01-30_13-31-49_565.jpg

I like those old Healthways HJ 72s. I have several and they are my favorite brand of steel 72.

I finally got down to my LDS today to pick up my double 72s. They are both Healthways HJ tanks, both with the born date of 2/78 and the new hydro stamp is the first one after the manufacture hydro stamp. The harness looks brand new and the tanks are absolutely perfect inside. The original owner died shortly after buying them as a matched set with a USD 3-piece manifold. His son (a non diver) inherited them and parked them in his garage until a couple of weeks ago. He was cleaning out his garage and found the tanks, took them to the dive shop and sold them for thirty bucks. The LDS had them hydroed, inspected them and filled them for me. I put a couple of boots on the tanks for a total cost to me of $145.

What no pictures? Sounds like a good deal.

I just found a set of US Divers marked doubles from 68. They are going to be a project though. Epoxy liner on the inside and vinyl coating on the outside. Only one hydro and that was back in 87. I managed to save the original US Divers stickers before taking them down for hydro. The shop was going to see what they could do. One cylinder looked great but the other had some blobs in bottom. The were not pits and the epoxy was not flaking. My picks did not did affect anything so I am hoping the blobs are epoxy and not rust underneath. The vinyl coating looked like crap but it was just gunk. A little soap and elbow grease cleaned them up nicely.

The funny part was the hydro guy initially thought the vinyl coating was an add on and thought he could see rust underneath. When I told him that was it factory dipped he said oh did not know they did that.

Pics!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom