My first!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I (finally) saw my first monk seal! I was within 10' of him. It was awesome. (I did not harrass/approach him). I did do some barrell rolls to see if I could entice him to come to me, though. He seemed very cool with divers. He did have a tag, but I couldn't read it from my vantage point.

I also saw my 2nd ever dragon moray. These were a couple of very nice dives, I must say. I went out with the Breeze dive club from Hawaii Kai. We did Portlock and Babboon Nose.

Very cool! We had a monk seal encounter off Lahaina a couple of weeks ago. They're sure BIG -- much bigger than our harbor seals.

I'd love to see a Zebra moray . . . Sounds like you had a couple of unusually happy dives!

Oh, Zebra moray's are sort of old hat for me. I saw one of those, as well as a Magnificent Snake Eel (that's what they are really called!) on these dives, also. And a shark.

Very cool! You know why you saw these things right? I wasn't there! When I am going diving, they send out word and they all hide!

A monk seal... very cool. Of course I'd have to dive Hawaii to see one... all I get are harbor and elephant seals or sea lions here.

One day you have to make the trip Bill.
I really love diving Hawaii - Going back in July!

My encounter with a monk came last year in Kauai. Just entered Koloa Landing and one stopped for a second then zoomed off.

congrats becky!

a shark too! wow!

yeah.. zebras are common here.. but the dragons.. i've only seen one of those.

nize dives.

Aloha Sea NMF , Can you tell me the date, time and location of the encounter? Are we talking Spitting Cave, or Sea Cave, or something else ? You said "HE" is that because you saw a male belly, or just a generic "he" ? I'm asking because a 2 1/2 y.o. male named Buster (RV08) was foraging off Spitting Cave all day on 11-25-07.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom