My first!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I (finally) saw my first monk seal!

As soon as I saw the title to your thread, I knew it. AAARGHHH!!!!

This was this past Sunday, right? I'm just SICK that I missed it - especially since I called up my (other) sister after I talked to you on Friday to see if she could watch our nephew instead so I could go. Although she said ok, I knew it was going to be a bit of a hassle for her, so I told her never mind.

Ok, I'm going to sulk for a while now. :(

DB:
Aloha Sea NMF , Can you tell me the date, time and location of the encounter? Are we talking Spitting Cave, or Sea Cave, or something else ? You said "HE" is that because you saw a male belly, or just a generic "he" ? I'm asking because a 2 1/2 y.o. male named Buster (RV08) was foraging off Spitting Cave all day on 11-25-07.

Generic "he". I was mostly looking at the seal's cute face. As far as date, time, etc., it was "around" Spitting Cave, on 11/25, between 1:30 and 2:30. It was probably Buster, then.

We had a disagreement as to his size. Are you a monk seal expert? What would your guess be (length and weight)?

As soon as I saw the title to your thread, I knew it. AAARGHHH!!!!

This was this past Sunday, right? I'm just SICK that I missed it - especially since I called up my (other) sister after I talked to you on Friday to see if she could watch our nephew instead so I could go. Although she said ok, I knew it was going to be a bit of a hassle for her, so I told her never mind.

Ok, I'm going to sulk for a while now. :(

Sulk away, sister! Go with your instincts, next time. Family will get over it.

Yes, I really want to see that, too! It is next. I'd like to see a hammerhead shark.

I (finally) saw my first monk seal! I was within 10' of him. It was awesome. (I did not harrass/approach him). I did do some barrell rolls to see if I could entice him to come to me, though. He seemed very cool with divers.
If ya like diving with them, ya ought to find a way to dive the Channel Islands in SoCal.

With sea lions, you will have no option but to interact, they demand it. The little harbor seals are much more timid, liking to sneak up like a cat. Occasionally they will do the unexpected (see my avatar) and play with you.

Yet to see a monk seal underwater, will be interesting to see the behavior.

If ya like diving with them, ya ought to find a way to dive the Channel Islands in SoCal.

With sea lions, you will have no option but to interact, they demand it. The little harbor seals are much more timid, liking to sneak up like a cat. Occasionally they will do the unexpected (see my avatar) and play with you.

Yet to see a monk seal underwater, will be interesting to see the behavior.

Well, monk seals are one of the most endangered mammals in the U.S., so I find it extra special to see one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom