My First Video Camera Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Thanks, the JVC is going back tomorrow. It has a USB cable for downloading still pics only to my PC, no video downloads possible.

I'll look harder at Sony & Cannon. :thumb:

If I recall, my Canon did not come with a firewire cable. I had to buy one. You need to check whether your PC has a firewire (aka IEEE 1394) port. There are two styles of firewire ports; "mini"ports (look a lot like mini-USB) and "mongo" (my words) (look like USB straight port with a V at one end). If your PC doesn't have a firewire port, you need to buy a firewire port, or, if you're using a laptop, a firewire PC card (formerly known as PCMCIA).

I have an Optura-something (larger camera).

Two features that are important (esp. if you do a lot of family shooting) (and I mean video shooting, not the other kind! :14: ) First, how wide-angle does the wide angle end go? I went for zoom (optical), and turns out at the widest angle, I still need to be backed up into a corner. I get great close-up shots of my kids performing at a school concert when I have the back seat, though :wink: The other relatively important feature (which will compromise your optics) is portability. The palm-size camcorders are easier to heft than their slightly larger brethren.

Have fun!!

edits added
p.s. Should add that I'm highly happy with the Canon, in spite of possible drawbacks. I have an accessory screw-on wide-angle that fits on the Canon (fortuitously), and a tripod, both from my previous Hi-8 Sony...

p.p.s. want a Hi-8? :D

Hey Don...

I would definitely go Mini-DV for ease of downloads. Don't bother downloading Video with USB... the quality of that sucks (unless you're only downloading your video for posting on the net) if you want to edit and burn DVD's then Mini-DV is the way to go.

You know that Ikelite makes a lot of housings for small video cam's for $500-800 so you could just take your camera and "slap it in a waterproof case" and you're on your way.

If I recall, my Canon did not come with a firewire cable. I had to buy one. You need to check whether your PC has a firewire (aka IEEE 1394) port. There are two styles of firewire ports; "mini"ports (look a lot like mini-USB) and "mongo" (my words) (look like USB straight port with a V at one end). If your PC doesn't have a firewire port, you need to buy a firewire port, or, if you're using a laptop, a firewire PC card (formerly known as PCMCIA).
Thanks hdtran - I'll have to do some research here and figure out what you just said, but it sounds very helpful. :)

I would definitely go Mini-DV for ease of downloads. Don't bother downloading Video with USB... the quality of that sucks (unless you're only downloading your video for posting on the net) if you want to edit and burn DVD's then Mini-DV is the way to go.
Thanks howarde - Mini-DV does download, but not via Usb...?

Looks like I'll need to buy a Frewire PC Card to use hdtran's suggestions. Are you talking the same thing here...?

DandyDon:
Thanks howarde - Mini-DV does download, but not via Usb...?

Looks like I'll need to buy a Frewire PC Card to use hdtran's suggestions. Are you talking the same thing here...?

Some Mini-DV cameras have USB - but the USB video is poor quality.

Most (if not all) Mini DV cameras have a firewire (DV Control) with which you would need a firewire input on your computer. The firewire download is HIGH QUALITY... Digital Video... generally in AVI format. Excellent if you have Adobe Premier... Also - Win XP comes with Windows Movie Maker... which can also capture and edit the DV videos.

So... yes... I guess we're talking the same thing.

Just FYI - the USB video is FINE if you're only planning on uploading the video clips to your SB gallery, or something like that.

howarde:
Some Mini-DV cameras have USB - but the USB video is poor quality.

Most (if not all) Mini DV cameras have a firewire (DV Control) with which you would need a firewire input on your computer. The firewire download is HIGH QUALITY... Digital Video... generally in AVI format. Excellent if you have Adobe Premier... Also - Win XP comes with Windows Movie Maker... which can also capture and edit the DV videos.

So... yes... I guess we're talking the same thing.

Just FYI - the USB video is FINE if you're only planning on uploading the video clips to your SB gallery, or something like that.
Gotcha'! The Jvc GR-D270 does not have that capability. Their D290 does. Need...
>> better camera;
>> frewire PC Card for laptop; and
>> DV cable.

Need to go to Lubbock Saturday - I'll take my laptop with me and visit the Geek Boys at Best Buy. :wink:

Okay, here is an interesting look one from Best Buy: Canon MiniDV Digital Camcorder with 2.7" Widescreen Color LCD Monitor - Model: ZR600 link

Excerpting...
Secure Digital/MultiMediaCard (SD/MMC) slot for recording digital stills and video clips (card not included)

Motion JPEG mode lets you record movie clips directly to your memory card for easy e-mail transfer

i.LINK DV interface (IEEE 1394) allows high-speed digital communication with other IEEE 1394 devices, including your IEEE 1394-compatible DVD recorder for easy sharing and archiving; analog-to-digital conversion; USB port for blazing fast transfer speeds
I doubt that one could email a video of much length as the attachment size would easily exceed 16 to 20 Mb limits common to mail boxes. I think my daughter is still using the free Yahoo with 10 Mb max.

<edit> Nope, that one uses the Sd card for still shots only - Dvc tape for video. Looks good, tho. Think I'll go with it...

Generally... when I post a video to the web.

First... I edit the video in Premier, and save the short as an AVI (DV quality about 1.3 GB/min way too big to post) For burning to DVD or just to save a high quality version.

Then - I import the video to Windows Movie Maker, and save the short as a WMV which is compressed, and the bitrate is able to be picked by you. I generally use the 512 kbps bit rate for most of the videos I post online... Usually I can make a 1 minute clip even fit in my SB gallery with a 4mb limit.

Okay, the Canon ZR600 looks good. $350 + taxes at Best Buy = $379

Instead, ordered it here for $293 delivered in 3 days. I was amazed at how much they wanted for the accessories, tho - guess that's where they try to make a profit.

Found a much better deal on a 1.26 amp hours lithium ion batter here for $35 - no shipping or taxes, should be here soon enough.

Found what appears to be a good deal on the Firewire PC card & the cable for $50 delivered in a 2 days from another source.

Already got the DVC tapes and SD card, and I guess I'll want a tote bag when I see how big it really is.

And I missing something...?? :11:

Sounds like a great way to get into Digital Video...

I usually buy extra batteries from aftermarket like batteries.com.

My first Mini-DV camera cost over $1500 about 6 or 7 years ago.

Well, thanks to you kind folks, I feel I have learned a lot for someone who has yet to charge a battery on one yet. Took the Sony back today. I'll download the manual for the Canon and start studing it while I was for it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom