My First Video Camera Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
No, not for diving - just family, friends, trips, stuff...

I asked a few friends, but my local friends don't seem to know much. I looked at a few today, and while many seem similar, they seem to use different storage media.

Which media would y'all suggest...?

Any other wise words of wisdom for the :newbie: here...?

thanks!
grinning-smiley-004.gif

Just buy a simple tape stored digital media camcorder. Nothing special, as it will be anchient history in a couple of months. If you spend $400 you are spending too much. Although it really depends what you are going to do with it. For home movies it does not take much. Better off spending more on the software to edit it. BTW it does take a pretty hot computer with a large HD to do live video editing.

Thanks, I saw a Sony for $300 that uses a DVC tape I think it was. 20X Optical zoom, looks like something I can handle.

I'm taking my daughter's family on a hike in Caprock Canyon State Park, up to see Fern Cavern, dripping springs, ferns growing upside down - often behind icicles if it'll get cold enough, in the middle of the high desert. I'll take a lot of still, but want need video to really show the cliff we'll climb, I think.

Now learn how not to pan left, right, up, or down very fast. Also do not super zoom in and out very fast. There are lots of tricks for shooting video. If you decide to keep it, you are going to want a second larger battery. One other thing, no matter how much you try to make a trail look steep and ugly, video and pictures never do the steepness justice. Shooting sideways on the hill, with trees in the picture helps. Have fun!

Peter_C:
Now learn how not to pan left, right, up, or down very fast. Also do not super zoom in and out very fast. There are lots of tricks for shooting video. If you decide to keep it, you are going to want a second larger battery. One other thing, no matter how much you try to make a trail look steep and ugly, video and pictures never do the steepness justice. Shooting sideways on the hill, with trees in the picture helps. Have fun!
Yeah, thought I'd check it out, then order the battery thru Nextag.com for half what they cost locally.

Video Cam, spare battery, accessories;
Dive Cam, spare battery, accessories;
Digi Cam, batteries, accessories;
Spare Digi cam - need to go on a scenic trip. Oh, and learn how to shoot. :thumb:

What,no UW housing??? Got my camera around Christmas time and just won a housing on E-bay so it will get wet soon...I hope.

The last time I looked, I chose the mini-DV format. You can store 60-90 minutes on a tape, then, download to a PC, and burn a DVD. Then, you reuse the tape.

Check out zdnet.com for reviews. Be aware that the professional reviews on zdnet are nearly as positive on equipment as the Scuba Diving Magazine reviewers :wink:

An important part is the included software (if any) with the digital camcorder. Studio-Lite or similar stuff is actually pretty decent, but your computer will need fairly decent recent hardware, such as either USB2 or IEEE1394 (Firewire), etc. (And of course, a DVD burner...)

I'm personally fond of the Canon line, but I'm sure JVC is perfectly good!

Have fun!

Hey, Don... if I'd seen this earlier I would have recommended a Sony or newer Canon Mini-DV camcorder. That way you could buy a Top Dawh underwater housing for it if you decided to start taking under video. Not aware of too many JVC specific housings out there.

Best fishes.

drbill:
Hey, Don... if I'd seen this earlier I would have recommended a Sony or newer Canon Mini-DV camcorder. That way you could buy a Top Dawh underwater housing for it if you decided to start taking under video. Not aware of too many JVC specific housings out there.

Best fishes.
Thanks, the JVC is going back tomorrow. It has a USB cable for downloading still pics only to my PC, no video downloads possible.

I'll look harder at Sony & Cannon. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom