My First SCUBA purchase. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a matter of having a computer or not, that can come later. I wear mine on my wrist. Having a depth (if you don't have a computer) and pressure (mandatory) gauge are absolute musts though.

After thinking it over I ended up going with the Aqualung Titan reg, Tusa octo, and Tusa mini 3-gauge console and am going to put off the wet-suit purchase for a while until I find one I really like maybe I will just save up for a dry suit.

I have a Titan LX, it's not environmentally sealed. I dove with it this past December in Alaska the air temperature was 24 degrees and the water temp. was 41 degrees.
I had no problems at all with it, breathed great.
I'm now in Guam, I just dove the Blue hole here. It breathed great at 140 ft.
When I purchased the Titan, I was looking for a good mid-priced regulator. I had heard that the Titan was the best regulator out there for $400, which was what I could spend at the time. I paid $375 at the dealer.
I've been very happy with it so far. My wife dives a Poseidon that I envy, but for $375 I couldn't beat the Titan LX.

Mitch

I like this thread. it's FITTING.
i'm trying to cut corners so I can afford a better reg one of which is a LX Supreme the other a Delta4
I too am allergic to the cold. 7mm yes but have no Idea what brand. the lds has "Bare" arctic and if it fits i'm game.
I agree the console is a must, a basic gage set upgraded to comp later works.
I don't know if i can get as good a deal as swmarc but a warm suit and good reg is my goal.

I like this thread. it's FITTING.
i'm trying to cut corners so I can afford a better reg one of which is a LX Supreme the other a Delta4
I too am allergic to the cold. 7mm yes but have no Idea what brand. the lds has "Bare" arctic and if it fits i'm game.
I agree the console is a must, a basic gage set upgraded to comp later works.
I don't know if i can get as good a deal as swmarc but a warm suit and good reg is my goal.

I forgot to mention that it only cost me $300 since I didn't pick up the suit. Mwahahaha

Oxy, the BARE Arctic is a fantastic suit. They have an incredible amount of stock sizes, I'm in a medium tall. Fit's like it was built for me!

Danny

I forgot to mention that it only cost me $300 since I didn't pick up the suit. Mwahahaha

:Dthen maybe i should just get the LX Supreme:wink:

Oxy, the BARE Arctic is a fantastic suit. They have an incredible amount of stock sizes, I'm in a medium tall. Fit's like it was built for me!

Danny

Thats the one I just tried on. Easier to get on than my 3/2 and yes fits like a custom. Don't think I have ever had anything "off the rack" fit that well. the lds was iffy about which size and thought i might be a larger size but opted for the MT and it was a match.
Fit so well I'm debating if I should bother looking around.
P.S. is $215 a good price

Not wanting to spend to much on something I may regret later, I have continued to do research into equipment to see what options I would feel best suited.
1. Cost - popular = inexpensive and not always DIR
2. Quality - Life support = No Brainer (thats me, no brain) more $$$ more fun!

It took very little looking to find this article concerning BC's but only after many stubborn unknowing questions asking "but why not"? these are cheaper and everyone's using them.
Cheaper because THEY sell MORE of them (this is really all I can afford).
But I really would be happier with??????
This article helps.
Why a backplate and wing - DIR Explorers
signed. . A more informed diver is a happier diver:D

ps. thanks blackwood & pasley

Hey Oxy, I noticed that you are considering buying a Bare wetsuit. I am on my second Bare wetsuit, the first one lasted appx. 350-400 dives, my second one is at appx. 175 dives and it still looks great, but more importantly it still keeps me WARM. I bought mine from Barry at Sea D Sea. The Bare suit is the only one from many that I tried on that fit me right off of the rack.Mine is a 7mm. I plan to continue using Bare wetsuits as long as I am diving, and that plan is to continue diving until I die.

Hey Oxy, I noticed that you are considering buying a Bare wetsuit. I am on my second Bare wetsuit, the first one lasted appx. 350-400 dives, my second one is at appx. 175 dives and it still looks great, but more importantly it still keeps me WARM. I bought mine from Barry at Sea D Sea. The Bare suit is the only one from many that I tried on that fit me right off of the rack.Mine is a 7mm. I plan to continue using Bare wetsuits as long as I am diving, and that plan is to continue diving until I die.

Wow, 350-400. Yes I did like the way it fit. (curious to see what it feels like in the water) I am going to look at another suit for comparison but Sea d Sea and the bare arctic are just too close to ignore. I believe I will have my mind made up as to what I want equipment wise before I can afford it thank to ALL of you here on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom