My First SCUBA purchase. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swmarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Here is the list of things I am considering getting the total cost is $600 this is from a LDS. I am making a on the side trade with the guy as well for lower price. Everything is new and comes with a manufacturers warranty. I realize that I could get a similar price online but I am just interested of this stuff is of good quality. What do you guys think?

Aqualung Titan
Aqualung ABS octo

Med. 7mm Pinnacle Arctic Suit
7mm O'Neill Hood
Medium 5/6mm Titanium Gloves

I am leaving out a gauge/computer for now I would like to rent them for a while to figure out what I like best.

Pinnacle's are good suits. Aqualung makes nice regs as well, don't know about the octo. One thing is, you kind of have to 'go for broke' with the reg set. You'll need the depth/pressure (or just pressure) gauges on your regulator to dive (and I'm not aware of anyone who will just rent you a console).

Seems like good equipment choices. Getting the items that need to be a good fit like a wetsuit and need to be in great working condition like a regulator would by my first choices too. You never know how a rental suit or reg will fit/perform.

For $600 that's a perfectly fine choice. The Aqualung reg is pretty good. Some people on the board might recommend you look at the ScubaPro mk2+/R190 regulator (for about the same price, it's consistently performed very well... however, you won't be unhappy with the AquaLung).

The wetsuit is an entirely personal thing. You need to try it on and make sure it fits right (too tight, and you won't be comfortable... too loose, and you'll freeze). Try it on in the store. Hopefully there's someone competent person there who can help you make sure it's a good fit. The Pinnacle Arctic is not very stretchy, so you really need to make sure it's a correct fit. If it is a good fit though, it's an excellent wetsuit for really cold water.

You haven't mentioned how cold the water you'll be diving in is (and how sensitive you are to it). I personally find that 5mm gloves are unwieldy, and prefer to go with 3mm and feel a little colder. Similarly, I wear a 5mm hyperstretch hood since comfort is important to me.

Finally, you haven't mentioned a BCD. Do you plan on just renting one -- If you can afford to own it you'll probably be happier? And don't forget fins and a mask/snorkel.

As for 'leaving out the gauge/computer'. I'm not really sure how you plan on doing that. The computer has to hook up to your regulator. I don't know places that will rent out 'just a gauge' to hook up to your own reg.... and I suspect they'll be pretty unhappy if they find out you're taking apart their rental gear to try out their gauges....

Here is the list of things I am considering getting the total cost is $600 this is from a LDS. I am making a on the side trade with the guy as well for lower price. Everything is new and comes with a manufacturers warranty. I realize that I could get a similar price online but I am just interested of this stuff is of good quality. What do you guys think?

Aqualung Titan
Aqualung ABS octo

Med. 7mm Pinnacle Arctic Suit
7mm O'Neill Hood
Medium 5/6mm Titanium Gloves

I am leaving out a gauge/computer for now I would like to rent them for a while to figure out what I like best.

Is it the regular titan or the titan lx

If it is the regular titan, that is pretty much the online price you will get for that gear so it a good deal. But if it is the LX it is a really good deal.

But with the computer and gauge thing, you will at least need a pressure gauge and a depth gauge to go diving. You may want to see if you can work a deal to add a simple console or find a used one for now. Until you figure out which computer and console you want.

I hadn't thought about the reg and gauge issue, and I already own mask, snorkel, fins, boots. I will be primarily swimming in the Puget sound area, and I get cold pretty easily. Which is the reason I chose the thicker gear.

I hadn't thought about the reg and gauge issue, and I already own mask, snorkel, fins, boots. I will be primarily swimming in the Puget sound area, and I get cold pretty easily. Which is the reason I chose the thicker gear.

If you are planning to dive allot in cold water, you many want to invest a little more in an environmentally seal reg instead for the added precaution of free flow. The regular titan and LX are not sealed, though they are pretty good in the cold water.

If you are planning to dive allot in cold water, you many want to invest a little more in an environmentally seal reg instead for the added precaution of free flow. The regular titan and LX are not sealed, though they are pretty good in the cold water.

I got the Titan LX Supreme just last week for exactly this reason...

Id have my own reg with spg ,b.c inflater and depth guage and rent a wetsuit.As for the computer I dove for 20 years before I got one.Of course they werent invented yet or else they were too expensive.A b.c would be my next purchase.no one likes to rent but on a tight budget,some has too for a while.

It's not a matter of having a computer or not, that can come later. I wear mine on my wrist. Having a depth (if you don't have a computer) and pressure (mandatory) gauge are absolute musts though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom