My first scuba dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea I was not certified on my first dive. It was on a holiday in Egypt when I went to Hurghada. I showed up at a dive shop or something the night before, got fitted for my wetsuit, then the next day I got on the boat, drove out to sea, they geared me up, showed me the hand sign for trouble and said to use it if I had issues, and then we got in the water.

Me on my first dive (breathing off my octo for some reason :wink:)
3607810896_018a3d204b.jpg

I felt like I was suffocating the first time I had the reg in my mouth but a friend had told me not to worry if I felt that way, and to just keep breathing. I think if I had not been told that I would have gotten out then and there and never dived again. My guide held my head under the water until I relaxed, then we descended a little bit (I presume about 5m) and I was amazed at the fish life and coral.

I happily swum around with my arms but my guide grabbed them and held them to my sides and showed me I just had to kick. However, when I did that I sunk like a stone, he'd inflate my BC and then I'd go shooting up. In hindsight he should have just let me swim around like that as I was comfortable with my arms!

Then he kept trying to take me near the coral but I was worried it would sting me so I kept swimming away and watching from a safe distance :) Probably a good thing I was terrified to touch the coral given my buoyancy control.

He then indicated to go deeper and I felt like my head was going to explode when I did so, so I bolted for the surface with him trying to pull me back down. At the surface he ended the dive and I was told about equalising and not to hold my breathe when ascending. He seemed kind of annoyed at me.

After a break on the boat I went back for another dive and was quite happy on that one, found the sights just incredible. Though I did freak out at one stage when my guide let go of my hand (he had my hand most of the dive) and I swum around in circles trying to find him, when he tapped me on my shoulder and I realised he was above me. Anyway, it was like being in a giant aquarium and I have always loved marine life. I don't know why I didn't then decide to get a cert but I figured I'd have to travel to do so.

Three years later I walked past a dive shop a few minutes down the road from my house and was amazed to learn that I could dive locally... so I signed up and have been diving a lot ever since :)

Back
Top Bottom