My first reg set -- MK 25/600, HOG D-1, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, if the business is a legitimate business. Do you have a store front, store hours and a real dive store?

This is the year 2012, you are in CO, he is in PA and I'm in TX. Why would I care.

That said... I vote with my wallet. Jim, I'll be emailing my order to you soon.

Yes, if the business is a legitimate business. Do you have a store front, store hours and a real dive store?

----snip----
No, that is why you can not offer the top SCUBA brands to your friends.

----snip----

Ahhh here we go again. . so I distinctly remember posts from Beaverdivers boasting about how they've taken advantage of the Internet and offer product on-line.

So tell me, what is the difference to someone purchasing on-line?

And here we go again, with your unsubstantiated (and IMHO lame) claims about "top brands".

I think someone is moving your cheese and you don't like it. I also think you wouldn't be nearly so defensive if you didn't think you weren't being genuinely threatened.

So if you're the businessman you certainly like to present yourself as. . . do you think you're maximizing your reputation and future sales ?

I for one will certainly make a point of never purchasing from you . . .

Gentlemen and ladies, let's keep this thread OT. We all know how we come down on the regs. Let the OP read and decide without the BS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gentlemen and ladies, let's keep this thread OT. We all know how we come down on the regs. Let the OP read and decide without the BS.

Thanks TN. All in all, I would prefer to buy from an LDS in my area -- but not with such a huge price differential.

In my view, both business models offer something unique. I'm sure that just about every shop in nearly every area of the economy has an on-going project of trying to figure out how to stay solvent in the eCommerce world! Some try to do it by offering a web "store front" as well as a physical location.

Good luck to both of you. It's not easy to run a successful business!

- Bill (The OP -- and, BTW, what is "OT" ?)

Ontopic.

Sadly I'm forced by budget to seek my major equipment how ever I can. I can't comment on SP so I just read. So far my HOG gear has been great. HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/COLOR]Does anyone know if there is a better return policy with DRIS or another vendor or Jim Lapenta? I would probably buy from Jim because he gives great personal service unless there is a reason not to.
There's no reason not to buy from Jim. For another option, ScubaToys is also a Hog dealer - they have a great return policy. Scuba Gear and Dive Equipment on sale
I would prefer to buy from an LDS in my area
Monterey Bay Diving is listed as a Hog dealer.

You should give Beaverdivers a call and see if he can work out a deal with you on the Mk 25 s600. He has always been very fair with me.

You should give Beaverdivers a call and see if he can work out a deal with you on the Mk 25 s600. He has always been very fair with me.

I would love to hear how he can give you a better "deal" than any other dealer. SP has strict policies on pricing and no dealer can sell for more than a 10% discount.

I would love to hear how he can give you a better "deal" than any other dealer. SP has strict policies on pricing and no dealer can sell for more than a 10% discount.

I don't care for Beaver Divers communication style and the classic dealership business model, however, my impression from reading posts is that if ScubaPro/SubGear is your cup of tea, it's worth reaching out to him. Something about Platinum Dealers and some new policies that were meant to be an alternative to the Grey Market channels. I recall seeing some posts where people quoted what they paid and it was well below MAP - 10%. Still more then I want to spend though... and I don't really like buying gear from manufacturers that play these games.

That said, I love my Hogs (great value, great policies) and the only reason I have a ScubaPro MK20/25 S550 on my stage is because I picked it up used and freshly rebuilt from my LDS for $150. Otherwise I really don't want anything to do with ScubaPro.

Monterey Bay Diving is listed as a Hog dealer.
Here's a copy of Monterey Bay Diving's (MBD ) home page:

Services

• Regulator service and repair: Our experienced SCUBA equipment technicians will maintain or return your equipment to factory standards. Replacement parts are always genuine manufacturer-supplied parts or kits.
  • Hull cleaning and zinc maintenance: We service both Monterey Harbor, including Breakwater cove and the Outer Harbor Moorings, and Moss Landing Harbor. We are out in the water every week and will take care of your boat needs quickly.
  • Mooring Systems: We install, maintain and repair mooring systems in Monterey Harbor, including the largest one presently in Monterey Bay, so we are ready for any job.
  • Tank services: Monterey Bay Diving is an accredited hydrostatic retesting facility. We can hydro your tank whether it's a spare air, 6 cubic feet or 430 cubic feet at test pressures ranging from 2700 to 10,000 psi. We also oxygen clean, tumble, and provide annual visual inspections by PSI certified inspectors. Eddy current testing is performed on all 6351 alloy aluminum cylinders at no extra charge

I just spoke with Nicole from MBD. She was very professional and nice. When asked if they sell regs., she said no, they are not a retail dive store. As you can see from above they service gear and do commercial diving.

Since they service regs., I ask her which regs. she would recommend. She asked what type of diver I was and what kind of diving. ( Good questions ). I said brand new, but wanted something that I would have for a while. She recommended Oceanic, Sherwood & Aqualung.

I mentioned that I had seen them ( MBD ) listed as a hog dealer. I asked her if they stocked or sold hogs. She said that they could but didn't stock them. She said they did not like to take business away from the retail dive stores. I asked her what she thought of hog regs. She said she had not used one but they were good solid regs. She said that they did service hogs and that was why they were a dealer.

She continued to tell me that I might be better off with a name brand regulator, because I would be able to get it serviced in more places.

She referred me to two retail dive centers near by.

Again, she was very informative. I would highly recommend MBD if you need commercial work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom