My first reg set -- MK 25/600, HOG D-1, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how easily we go from discussing the actual topic to taking about what kind of retail operation is better....

For some it's about "me" all the time. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, if the business is a legitimate business. Do you have a store front, store hours and a real dive store?

By your definition, Amazon.com is not a real store which is ridiculous. The manufacturers of dive gear have restrictive requirements which HOG does not have. HOG chooses to go primarily with an online model where most of the sellers have shops. Jim doesn't, but I don't think Cannonsburg, Pa is a diving mecca nor is it an affluent area or tourist destination.

By your definition, Amazon.com is not a real store which is ridiculous. The manufacturers of dive gear have restrictive requirements which HOG does not have. HOG chooses to go primarily with an online model where most of the sellers have shops.
My point is all major name brands of SCUBA gear do require that you have a real dive store w/ a store front and store hours.

Hog is a small company that has been successful in using SCUBAboard as their major platform in marketing their products.

Personally I have always felt that if I could not offer my clients the best dive gear, then I would get out of the business.
As you probably know, Scubapro is one of the hardest SCUBA lines to secure a dealership. They have very high standards for professional dive retailers.

Since this thread is about a Scubapro reg. ( MK25/S600 ), a hog or something else, I feel it is important to point out the fact that the Scubapro dealer network is world-wide, very well represented in the U.S. with professional SCUBA retailers; Hog is a small company w/ no dealers selling in the OP's area with some hog dealers working out of their basement, garage or trailer.

thats the beauty of the modern business plan that HOG has. while a dealer might not be just around the corner, the internet is world wide. this is just my opinion, but scubapro is just coasting by on their reputation from the past years. eventually they will have to make some big changes to keep up.

We are selling Scubapro over the internet. We have been for over a year now.

Here is a little argument about working out of a basement. I'm sure everyone has heard of Edd Sorenson, the owner of Cave Adventurers, and all around cave hero. I have been to his shop, and I've been to his house. The reason I've been to both is because they are the same. His shop is in his basement, and he is a dealer for the major companies such as Hollis, Atomic, Submerge,Dive Rite, and others.

Seems to me basement companies can do well, sell major brands (at competitive prices), and be well known throughout the diving community.

Cave adventurers is my favorite dive shop hands down. over 80% of every dollar i have spent on diving has been in his shop. Either online or in person. In fact 100% of what i have bought new came from there. He is also over 4 hours away...

Personally I don't care if my gear comes from somebodies basement, car trunk, online dive shop or store as long as it is legal. What I want is quality gear at a fair price. At this particular point in time I will stick with products and companies that are tried and true, price is secondary simply because of the nature of our sport. As far as the HOG/Scubapro comparisons that seem to happen quite frequently here I liken the comparison (at the moment) to a Lamborghini/Corvette Z06. In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Vette but if i could have either I think I would lean towards the Sesto Elemento.

Just my opinion.

My point is all major name brands of SCUBA gear do require that you have a real dive store w/ a store front and store hours.

Hog is a small company that has been successful in using SCUBAboard as their major platform in marketing their products.

Personally I have always felt that if I could not offer my clients the best dive gear, then I would get out of the business.
As you probably know, Scubapro is one of the hardest SCUBA lines to secure a dealership. They have very high standards for professional dive retailers.

Since this thread is about a Scubapro reg. ( MK25/S600 ), a hog or something else, I feel it is important to point out the fact that the Scubapro dealer network is world-wide, very well represented in the U.S. with professional SCUBA retailers; Hog is a small company w/ no dealers selling in the OP's area with some hog dealers working out of their basement, garage or trailer.

Beav, years ago I took a course in business writing. When writing a letter we were supposed to use the "You" attitude. In short, tell the reader what the benefit to him is.

I am sure you have a nice well-run shop, but the question is how does that benefit me, you potential client. I am in Miami, I will never see your shop. Also I really don't care about Scubapro's dealership standards because their standards are to benefit Scubapro not me. The dive store that I was first certified at was very unethical, they were a Scubapro dealer, as well as for most other major lines.

I realize that running a "real" dive store is expensive and puts you at a cost disadvantage to the businesses run out basements. However, that does not matter to an internet buyer, what matters is price/quality. Maybe a MK25/S600 is better than an HOG, I don't know because I do not have a HOG. However, I do know that a HOG will breath better than a MK2/R295 which is the closest Scubapro model in the same price range. I know that my Mk20/S600 is no better than my Apeks TX100. So the claim that Scubapro is the best is subject to debate.

Scubapro has an advantage over HOG on dealer network but I don't think they have a clear advantage over other companies like Aqualung or Oceanic.

HOG beats Scubapro on price and parts availability. A user can buy the service kits and from what I seen their is nothing strange about their design that your average tech could not replace a parts kit. In the US dealers may be particular over which brands they service but in foreign countries it usually doesn't matter as long as you have the parts.

I wouldn't want the vette or the lambie. It'd just get the bottom ripped out of it going back into the quarry. My RAV 4 is better than either for my needs. And there are some who wouldn't want to carry certain brands that have ridiculous buy in's, minimum orders per year, quarter,etc., tell you what you need to have in your inventory, and what you can sell an item for. What an item is advertised for is one thing. But between the merchant and individual customer there should be no one else having a say in the transaction. In addition I see no need to follow what is fast becoming an outdated business model with the way e commerce is going.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom