My first reg set -- MK 25/600, HOG D-1, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, because you must meet certain criteria for the major SCUBA companies to open you up as a dealer. The reason being they want dive professionals that have made a commitment to this business. A full-time business that has a real dive store is required, not a part-time person that is working out of their basement.

Sorry but I disagree. When I lived in Central Pennsylvania there were two dive shops, both carried mainstream equipment. Neither was open full time because there was no call for it. So I don't think it is a requirement. There were also no Scubapro dealers in the area.

Sorry but I disagree. When I lived in Central Pennsylvania there were two dive shops, both carried mainstream equipment. Neither was open full time because there was no call for it. So I don't think it is a requirement. There were also no Scubapro dealers in the area.
Did they have a retail dive store or work out of their basement?

IMHO storefront does not guarantee good service. And online seller can be better than a storefront. I have seen this locally.

Speaking avout SP vs other brands policies- Ive been to my LDS few weeks ago and spoke to the owner. He was saying that people often get AL over SP just brcause of the PFL. The prices are the same, both make great reg but AL still offers PFL.
Those who want SP will get SP regardless. Those who do not care will look at the price vs features.

Discussing SP vs HOG is pointless a they are in different positions. SP and AL have a history, HOG is quite young still. Its not bad its just different. When HOG grows to the size of SP it will be a different story. Bigger enterprises have their overheads. Smaller businesses run on enthusiasm of few people. As the company progresses through their lifecyle processes become more important to have consistent results. Processes are way more difficult to adjust for bigger enterprises.

In all fairness I think SP made a lot of good changes in the equipment in the last decade - reviving G250 moving S600 to metal barrel ( back?) launching a metal second stage. Launching a great diaphragm (actually designing) 1st . Thats quite a lot for a company if you ask me:)

Next to this innovations I could possibly put Luis with the VDH and SB Vintage diving gang who do quite some R&D, design and production of the new regs in DH arena. As well as a gentlemen named Mossback whom I do not see here anymore.

Did they have a retail dive store or work out of their basement?

One was out of a converted basement the other had a more elaborate setup with separate shop that was on the same property as his house.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 05:52 PM ----------

In all fairness I think SP made a lot of good changes in the equipment in the last decade - reviving G250 moving S600 to metal barrel ( back?) launching a metal second stage. Launching a great diaphragm (actually designing) 1st . Thats quite a lot for a company if you ask me:)

Sounds like back to the future, except for the Mk-17.

Next to this innovations I could possibly put Luis with the VDH and SB Vintage diving gang who do quite some R&D, design and production of the new regs in DH arena.

I agree they fill a long ignored niche market.

Monterey Bay Diving is Not a retail dive store.
Chill, I never said they were. They're listed as the only Hog dealer within 100 mi. of San Francisco on the Hog website: Store-Locator

I asked her if they stocked or sold hogs. She said that they could but didn't stock them.
Apparently they are.

how easily we go from discussing the actual topic to taking about what kind of retail operation is better....

how easily we go from discussing the actual topic to taking about what kind of retail operation is better....

This topic has been talked about before over and over. There is not an answer to which is better.

Chill, I never said they were. They're listed as the only Hog dealer within 100 mi. of San Francisco on the Hog website: Store-Locator
I believe that means no one sells hogs within 100 miles of San Fran.

There are 6 Scubapro dealers w/in 100 miles of San Fran.

Interesting, Treasure Divers in the Abacos showed up as the 7th. I dove w/them in May. They are in the Bahamas - a little more than 100 of San Fran.

However, I would recommend them if your on Treasure Cay in the Abacos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom