My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm, well thanks. The politics of this are very interesting. Where "safe diving" is promoted is a grey area. I wonder if a forum where there was less moderating would cut the moderator's thankless work load. Sort of an "enter at your own risk of getting your feelings hurt" forum. I think divers in non-instructional roles who have the experience to do advanced dives need a sandbox where you can ask questions without being told you are a bad, unsafe scuba sinner.

catherine96821:
Hmmmm, well thanks. The politics of this are very interesting. Where "safe diving" is promoted is a grey area. I wonder if a forum where there was less moderating would cut the moderator's thankless work load. Sort of an "enter at your own risk of getting your feelings hurt" forum. I think divers in non-instructional roles who have the experience to do advanced dives need a sandbox where you can ask questions without being told you are a bad, unsafe scuba sinner.

Less moderating? I think it's called Deco Stop. Go ahead, enter at your own risk and use this thread as a starter......LOL........you'd come running back in a minute!!!

Asking questions is one thing, but that's not what this thread was about.
You'd quickly be run out for this garbage, and by the members I'd think. Bob is way nicer :D

Scuba_Steve:
Less moderating? I think it's called Deco Stop. Go ahead, enter at your own risk and use this thread as a starter......LOL........you'd come running back in a minute!!!

Asking questions is one thing, but that's not what this thread was about.
You'd quickly be run out for this garbage, and by the members I'd think. Bob is way nicer :D

Actually, I find the decostop a little restrictive at times. To get a real taste of unregulated mayhem you should try rec.scuba. The difference there is that everyone on rec.scuba only *thinks* that they have done what Seahound did. At least here we can be reasonably sure that he actually did it....

R..

catherine96821:

We do have that capability, we have a private one for instructor/professionals only forum - we had to register and prove our license as pro's in scuba before we were let in. You would feint at the subjects we blow out in that forum. You're right we need perhaps a private everyone else with an over age 18 entry using one of the popular validation web-mechs.

Diver0001:
Actually, I find the decostop a little restrictive at times. To get a real taste of unregulated mayhem you should try rec.scuba. The difference there is that everyone on rec.scuba only *thinks* that they have done what Seahound did. At least here we can be reasonably sure that he actually did it....

R..

Lol, so true.

I can go in there, I just thought maybe that was inappropriate to discuss private recreational hotdogging with people involved in the business of recruiting and teaching new divers...

catherine96821:
I can go in there, I just thought maybe that was inappropriate to discuss private recreational hotdogging with people involved in the business of recruiting and teaching new divers...

Of course, but my point was the forum software certainly supports the technology, so it's not a limitation of capability, it's a matter of whether the owners/mods want it done. The comment about feinting wasn't for "you" it was for the benefit of non-pro readers :)

Edit: and wow hasn't this thread gone way the heck off topic.

Oh...a lot goes over my head sometimes. I get you. Maybe I should think up a new thread. One I have thought a lot about is "regional differences". Like, when I was in the West Indies, if you took your fins off in the water it was a huge NO-No. When I came to Hawaii, everyone was screaming TAKE YOUR FINS OFF! Some operators even line divers up on a tag line, in rough seas, with current and have them PASS their fins up to the swimstep. What is common in one area would be surprising somewhere else. Anyway, I thought it would be a fun thread, you know, civil, non-controversial. Give ourselves a break. I mean, since we are already off topic.

catherine96821:
Catherine ... there are MANY such "enter at your own risk" internet forums out there. Some were even created by former ScubaBoard members who felt our policies were too restrictive.

Most of them have settled down to a handful of regulars, with new members joining the conversation rarely ... some have died altogether due to a lack of participation.

I think the success of ScubaBoard speaks volumes for the fact that the vast majority of our readers are happy with the level of moderation we provide ... and there are always those other forums for people who feel the need for a wider degree of "freedom of speech". I can't see the owners of ScubaBoard entertaining the notion of an "enter at your own risk" type forum ... it's simply not compatible with what they want to offer to our members.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom