My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
I don't know anything about that "other" thread. I do take concern with the statement that nothing in this currently active thread can "benefit our readers".
Well ... we're all entitled to our opinion, and I'm as entitled to mine as you are to yours.

However, I'll point out that I don't moderate based on my opinion ... as evidenced by the fact that this thread is still here.

I moderate based on the Terms of Service ... which is why the second thread isn't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe Bob is right on the money. I've wondered from the first day how this thread remained, as I mentioned on page 4 in regard to the repeated racist comments that seahound pm'd me about 6 months ago. This thread has as much or more comment on religion, race, and politics as it does diving. :06:

Furthermore, there is no accident, so it shouldn't really be in this forum. He doesn't appear to have learned any lessons, so it doesn't seem to fit in that forum either. Although I'm sure new divers have learned what not to do. As I said, I've wondered about the legitimacy of this thread and how it has remained. :55:

NWGratefulDiver:
Well ... we're all entitled to our opinion, and I'm as entitled to mine as you are to yours.

However, I'll point out that I don't moderate based on my opinion ... as evidenced by the fact that this thread is still here.

I moderate based on the Terms of Service ... which is why the second thread isn't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Frankly it's not that simple. I was a moderator for a couple years on this board. You are held to a higher standard. I've not jumped in on opinons about threads being pulled because I spent time in the back room and I know that it's not a fascist dictatorship. They take votes and discuss things, it's democratic. I'm sure you had legitimate reasons for pulling whatever thread you pulled, based on the TOS or whatever other standard was applied.

But since you are not a "regular" poster, in the context of your post you implicated that the content of this thread is "yet" to contain anything our readers can use. In one world, that is merely an opinion, but in the world where you are defending your right to moderate something based on the TOS, it's an abuse of power, plain and simple. It's like you are saying ... if this thread doesn't meet my personal approval to offer some benefit to our readers ... it's threatened with being yanked too. Forgive me but that's out of line.

DiverBuoy:
Frankly it's not that simple. I was a moderator for a couple years on this board. You are held to a higher standard. I've not jumped in on opinons about threads being pulled because I spent time in the back room and I know that it's not a fascist dictatorship. They take votes and discuss things, it's democratic. I'm sure you had legitimate reasons for pulling whatever thread you pulled, based on the TOS or whatever other standard was applied.

But since you are not a "regular" poster, in the context of your post you implicated that the content of this thread is "yet" to contain anything our readers can use. In one world, that is merely an opinion, but in the world where you are defending your right to moderate something based on the TOS, it's an abuse of power, plain and simple. It's like you are saying ... if this thread doesn't meet my personal approval to offer some benefit to our readers ... it's threatened with being yanked too. Forgive me but that's out of line.
Sorry, but you are wrong.

First off, I haven't done anything in this thread except state my opinion ... and in so doing I disqualified myself from moderating the thread. We have that rule for a reason.

There was no threat ... stated or implied. There was simply my stated opinion that I see no value in the thread.

There was no abuse of power, since I exercised no moderator activity. In that case, I'm as entitled to state my opinion as you are.

By your logic, no moderator would ever be able to state an opinion on any topic on ScubaBoard. That's an unreasonable expectation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK diver buoy they probably got more than just my complaint about this D**K and his diving ways. They guy made two threads, one for each of the two idiot dives he did, back to back, and I cried TOS on the second thread and stated my case. This one is just as useless, but at least he knows he's not getting a third dive out of it.

Top right corner in every browser will fix all the problems. I know, I've used it :D

Ok fair enough, NWGratefulDiver, I read more into your post than was actually there. However, by way of stating opinion I'll offer the following full current summary of "lessons learned" in this thread.

(1) Regarding Pakistan we learned some opinions and experiences regarding naval/military submarine practices (and a book called "Sea Pheonix" by Admiral Zaheer Shah), the types of jobs, food, water military will tolerate vs some other countries, piloting practices, driving practices, diving practices, traffic laws, SSGN, possession vs building nuclear weapons, religion, cricket, as well as regional wages and the perceived value of $30.00 US currency, and about diving conditions and aquatic life just outside the harbor where SeaHound dove.

(2) We learned about j-valve and legacy equipment and diving practices. That many SPGs are currently available on E-bay for under 30 bucks. That 30 bucks is more than a months wage for many persons living in the Pakistanian part of the world.

(3) We learned about OOA training, air sharing, limits, and practices of several scuba training agencies.

(4) We learned what diving equipment SeaHound owns and doesn't own. That he has a "friend" who is an electrical engineer and disregarded his safety. And that he learned not to leave "situational awareness" in the hands of someone else. That he shouldn't blame a DM (or anyone else on the boat) for his misjudgment. That he can swim on a single breath of air from 40 feet.

(5) That diving without an SPG or specific knowledge of the contents of the pre-dive scuba cylinder is a bad practice.

(6) That the perception of the value or need for a compensation bladder is based on when in diving's history you happen to be forming your opinion, or if you happen to be diving with doubles and a couple of full decompression bottles.

(7) About the amount of water weight and pressure exerted against a submarine hatch at various depths.

(8) A reverse squeeze is a serious concern for a rapid ascent, and examples showing you may likely be hospitalized.

(9) Early cave divers used plastic jugs for buoyancy.

(10) That dpbishop avatar is an American Pit Bull Terrier.

(11) That this thread was once part of a series :05: of which it is now the only remaining episode.

(12) That there is a picture out there somewhere with the expression on SeaHounds face immediately after he got back on the boat, and he owes us this picture.

(13) The importance of keeping your regulator in your mouth during an emergency swimming ascent. That due to ambient pressure change the 1st stage may even deliver another breath from the "empty" cylinder.

(14) That Diver0001 has actually run tests in his living room comparing a 1972 Aqualung Aquarius unbalanced 1st stage regulator vs. a modern high-performance balanced regulator with some astounding results.

(15) That the scubaboard staff doesn't sit around all day selectively editing posts of people who know they are exceeding the TOS when they post. That most of the mods have full time jobs outside of scubaboard. Were all adults ... selective edits and babysitting are time-consuming, and shouldn't be necessary.

(16) That the deleted thread involved SeaHound flaunting a mocho stunt and that he was bragging about it.

(17) That NWGratefulDiver was the one that pulled the thread for "basting" responses, and bragging about dangerous practices.

I don't know about you but I learned a lot on this thread. Of course we could have learned many of these things on other threads. And we know we can't believe everything we read either. Were many of the things we learned on-topic, also no.

Was this thread useless - HARDLY.

Hmmmm,
I have read this entire thread and disregarding political and testosterone driven responses, I have found some valuable information....Just to remind you all of the lurkers.....Haven't really found a situation or discussion i haven't learned some tidbit from..... this guy was Reg out of mouth at surface....was that MOF too?
Happy New year!!!!
MAry

Diverbouy post #136! I agree with you that this was very interesting reading! Many threads are just some version of the same thing over and over. These types of posts keep me wanting to log on, and they make me think. I like the way you summarized the points made. Has anyone ever proposed a free forum where controversial subjects could transpire, out of the mainstream? I have noticed lately that the threads that have been pulled were very popular.

Agreeing with Catherine here about post #136. Funny stuff. I really loved point #12 and hope to see that photo here very, very soon!

Sasquatch:
Agreeing with Catherine here about post #136. Funny stuff. I really loved point #12 and hope to see that photo here very, very soon!

catherine96821:
Diverbouy post #136! I agree with you that this was very interesting reading! Many threads are just some version of the same thing over and over. These types of posts keep me wanting to log on, and they make me think. I like the way you summarized the points made. Has anyone ever proposed a free forum where controversial subjects could transpire, out of the mainstream? I have noticed lately that the threads that have been pulled were very popular.

Thanks. I did propose something like this years ago, back when I was a moderator I told KN and LD (that's King Neptune and Lady Diver) they should create a chat room / IM thing for the board. The rule of the day would be "word to the wise" about the level of moderation/regulation it would receive. Namely, it wouldn't be moderated as harshly and thus rules would be a bit more relaxed (could even require the 18 years old validation thing). However, policing comes from your fellow chatters - if you get reported by enough people and it can be confirmed you posted something really crude or way out of line, then you get first a warning, second time bannishment. It would solve two issues:

1. People's post count getting massively boosted by 500-1000 posts over one long thread of complete utterly useless drivel.
2. A place for folks to vent ... clearly the board has a need for MOF threads, but are forum thread postings the right venue, I don't think so.

Unfortunately the two original owners aren't with the board any longer, and this idea was being considered but not resolved before they departed. The board has made many technical improvements since then, including much better forum software. Additionally it has grown massively in membership so logistics and cost have no doubt increased along with the growth, which presents new hurdles. There is no quick solution and in reality at this point it may not even be a "problem" the boards current owners wish to solve.

Back
Top Bottom