My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
In fact, the pressure was so low that I could open the tank valve and blow air back into the tank with my mouth.

As, not once, you remove the valve, if the tank was in a vacuum as you apparently indicate, water would fill the tank nearly completely before you ever got your mouth on the neck. I don't want to call you a liar, I'm sure you performed some sort of experiment, but somethings fishy, and it might just be the way I interpreted your words, so please forgive the intrusion. But based on this one quoted sentence, I'd like to ask some additional questions Diver0001 about your test:

1. At what depth and type of water was the experiement performed.
2. What brand, model, and year of 1st stage
3. What brand, model, and year of 2nd stage.
4. What brand and model of cylinder (click here for a list) was used.

SeaHound:
I think this censorship logic is totally messed up. Its as messed up as saying “Lets talk about religion! But …

LOL....to be a MOD here for just one decision........ :D

SeaHound:
Amazing how the human mind sometimes works isn’t it? :D

The way I read Bob's post, the thread wasn't pulled so much because of your "blasphemy" (to stick to the metaphor--otherwise *this* thread would have been pulled too) but because of the disrespectful responses.

While I can understand that, and I respect the Mods enormously for their constant efforts to keep the frogs from jumping out of the wheelbarrow I think you could have benefited more from hearing what people *really* think of your behaviour than you did from the responses you got.

R..

DiverBuoy:
As, not once, you remove the valve, if the tank was in a vacuum as you apparently indicate, water would fill the tank nearly completely before you ever got your mouth on the neck. I don't want to call you a liar, I'm sure you performed some sort of experiment, but somethings fishy, and it might just be the way I interpreted your words, so please forgive the intrusion. But based on this one quoted sentence, I'd like to ask some additional questions Diver0001 about your test:

1. At what depth and type of water was the experiement performed.
2. What brand, model, and year of 1st stage
3. What brand, model, and year of 2nd stage.
4. What brand and model of cylinder (click here for a list) was used.

I should have been clear about that. The tests were done in my living room. Not under water.

R..

"It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. "

From the sticky about special rules of this forum. Your threads seek neither to promote safe dive nor learn from incidents as a means to prevent them.

Have fun diving any way you want - but don't be surprised when its frowned about to brag about unsafe practices in the forum dedicated to safe diving.

SeaHound:
It’s the same with some moderators on this website! Hey Lets talk diving!!! Lets have a section entitled “Accidents and Lessons Learnt” But, if someone puts something in there then the guy is “bragging” and “advertising unsafe practices” and the thread should be deleted!

Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt on this thread on the assumption that there might be some information come out of it that would be beneficial to our readers. I'm still waiting to see what that might be.

SeaHound:
Amazing how the human mind sometimes works isn’t it? :D
My thoughts, exactly ... it's an amazing human mind that would put himself underwater with a partial tank, no notion how much gas is in it, no way to tell, plans to abort the dive by doing an emergency ascent ... and still thinks there's some benefit in actually discussing it on a public forum.

What is this, a "Reality" show ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt on this thread on the assumption that there might be some information come out of it that would be beneficial to our readers. I'm still waiting to see what that might be.

Excuse me? Have you read this thread, there have been numerous suggestions. I must be missing what you are looking for?

NWGratefulDiver:
My thoughts, exactly ... it's an amazing human mind that would put himself underwater with a partial tank, no notion how much gas is in it, no way to tell, plans to abort the dive by doing an emergency ascent ... and still thinks there's some benefit in actually discussing it on a public forum.

Bob, I believe you made an appropriate decision to pull the thread. I too wondered where it went, but after your explanation I have to agree that it was a wise course of action. SeaHound could have posted his second go at this in the same thread. There was no need for a second thread and the vitriol that it drew.

Don't let SeaHound suck you into a discussion on pulling the thread or with personal barbs directed at you. You do a great job as a MOD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom