my first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, there is this wonderful things in between computers and tables called a brain. You don't have to follow tables exclusively or computers exclusively. I know everyone on scubaboard is super fond of buying excessive and pointless equipment, but don't go dumping your misinformation on a nubcaek.

lazyturtle:
I say stay away from air-integrated. I need to explain why: I REALLY like the idea of a air-integrated computer but so often when someone comes on my boat with a air-integrated computer that doesn't work. 9 out of 10 times these divers don't have a backup gauge, so they have to use our gear. While this doesn’t matter to me, they're usually upset as they've put quite a few $ into their gear.

You see a lot of divers & gear so I'm curious,
what types of failures are you seeing?
Is it mostly dead/low battery issues,
or is it actual broken or misfunctioning computers?
Any particular model that seems to fail more than others?

--- bill

bperrybap:
You see a lot of divers & gear so I'm curious,
what types of failures are you seeing?

--- bill

I dove with a buddy in the summer who had an air-integrated Suunto. He really liked it and had no complaints/problems whatsoever in about 80 dives. On this dove, however, the computer decided not to work... It would power on ok on the surface, but once he passed 4' (or so) it would reset. He tried a couple different things, and ended up getting back on the boat, taking out the battery and putting it back in. This hard reset was enough, and it worked for the remainder of the dive. Overall a pain in the *** - good thing he managed to keep any water from dripping into the computer when he had it open though.
Overall a pain in the *** - glad it didn't cancel the dive.

S.

Oh man. If my Cobra ever dies, I'll be heart-broken.

Check ebay. I bought all three of my computers new there with warranty & way below retail. My first was the suunto Mosquito. I am wearing it right now. I use my Suunto Vyper to dive now. Decide what you want to see on your computer & pick a configuration that works well for you. Good Luck!

bperrybap: I don’t see any one brand or model failing more often than another. I’d say the most common problem I see is a dead battery issue, which is totally user error (most computers have some sort of battery meter), but then there are the odd situations like the one described above: The computer works fine on the boat, battery is good, then on the dive it just stops working. I have no idea why, but I’ve totally seen divers have a terrible dive because they’re (rightly so) worrying about their expensive gear and why it’s not working correctly. These strange problems often correct themselves between dives, but then there’s no information about the 1st dive on the computer, so it’s back to tables.

As far as the anti-computer folks go, I’ve got to say I really like the computers for group diving. It allows me as the guide to leave people with a computer and a buddy down on the reef, take those who are low on air back, and know that they can make a safe ascent in the correct time. Computers are not (and were not intended to) replace tables. You should still be using your brain on a dive (not that diving is that complicated).
Finally if in the rare case that someone has a diving related accident, the computer can provide doctors with a record of what happened on the dive. This information could not only help treatment, but could also help researchers give better safety information to the diving public.

TheFoggyMask:
You know, there is this wonderful things in between computers and tables called a brain. You don't have to follow tables exclusively or computers exclusively. I know everyone on scubaboard is super fond of buying excessive and pointless equipment, but don't go dumping your misinformation on a nubcaek.

So there I was, using 30% nitrox, following the dive guide through the bowels of the Heian Maru in Truk Lagoon, my flashlight looking at the small, rusted out openings we were navigating as we went up, down, and through that multi-level labyrinth. I was fascinated by the artifacts I saw, including, sadly, human remains that had lain there fore 62 years. I glanced at my computer from time to time and saw that I had maxed at 114 feet. When we emerged at last, I checked my deco situation on the computer. I was pretty close to the limits. Time to ascend.

I know I should have refused to do the dive unless the guide first gave me a detailed plan providing depths and times at each depth so that I could plan the dive properly, but [sigh] I guess I just got lazy. I also wish that I had only brought a watch and a depth gauge and made continued mathematical calculations throughout the dive instead of using my computer. It would have made the dive so much more enjoyable. Guess I will have to strive for that in the future.

TheFoggyMask:

I make no bones about the fact that I am a recreational diver. Not a tech diver. I dive for relaxation and enjoyment. I use my brain all week at work and prefer that my hobbies be as enjoyable as possible.

That being said, I enjoy diving on my air computer more than I would enjoy the limits, profiles and memory that table diving would require.

I look at a dive computer the same way I look at a calculator or a gps. I can do long division by hand. But it is easier for me to just use a calculator. When I am flying, I am capable of of tracking a non-directional beacon. But it is more enjoyable and more accurate for me to use a moving map GPS.

This argument that a person should eschew the use of a computer, unless they are too stupid to use tables sounds as sensible as saying your accountant is too stupid to use a ledger book, as evidenced by the fact that he uses excel.

If you don't like technology, don't use it. But it's a little short-sighted to imply that a person's preference for taking advantage of the benefits offered by technology can only be explained by his stupidity.

Grounded:
I make no bones about the fact that I am a recreational diver. Not a tech diver. I dive for relaxation and enjoyment. I use my brain all week at work and prefer that my hobbies be as enjoyable as possible.

That being said, I enjoy diving on my air computer more than I would enjoy the limits, profiles and memory that table diving would require.

I look at a dive computer the same way I look at a calculator or a gps. I can do long division by hand. But it is easier for me to just use a calculator. When I am flying, I am capable of of tracking a non-directional beacon. But it is more enjoyable and more accurate for me to use a moving map GPS.

This argument that a person should eschew the use of a computer, unless they are too stupid to use tables sounds as sensible as saying your accountant is too stupid to use a ledger book, as evidenced by the fact that he uses excel.

If you don't like technology, don't use it. But it's a little short-sighted to imply that a person's preference for taking advantage of the benefits offered by technology can only be explained by his stupidity.

So you're a recreational diver using a computer, why? You have no use for it. The only people who might benefit from a computer are those doing lots of repetitive diving at odd depths. At best you'll do what, three dives on one day then go home? Computers serve no purpose underwater, it has nothing to do with "hating technology." You don't need to gadgetize everything. You can take care of yourself perfectly well underwater, and if you can't do that and you need a computer babysitter maybe you should go get trained?

I don't care that no one is swayed, I'm not trying to sway anyone. The employees in dive shops will continue to mislead and misinform people. Then as the diver thinks they become "experienced" they keep passing down this nonsense until it gets to you, and you think it is law. Get a brain.

What especially pisses me off is when they tried to do it to me. I was looking for my first gear setup and the toolbox salesman immediately took me over to the computers when I said I was looking for a reg. He then proceeded to rant on about how I would need a nitrox this and that and how I'd probably spend upper hundreds, almost a thousand dollars on an effing computer. I went to another dive shop where he understood that I had limited budget and what my needs were, he set me up with an awesome setup for 1500 bucks, everything. Thats as much as the moron wanted me to spend on a reg alone. Plus the 800 sum on his jacked-up bc and everything else. That salesman wasn't interested in keeping me around for the long run, trying to force garbage down my throat that I didn't even want. If anyone is reading this thread and thinking they need a computer, you don't. The only reason the clones on this board use them is because they're mindless drones that follow everything that popular diving culture dictates you do. Make up your own mind, do you own research, don't get taken.

TheFoggyMask:
So you're a recreational diver using a computer, why? You have no use for it...

...I don't care that no one is swayed, I'm not trying to sway anyone. The employees in dive shops will continue to mislead and misinform people...

...The only reason the clones on this board use them is because they're mindless drones that follow everything that popular diving culture dictates you do. Make up your own mind, do you own research, don't get taken.
Don't feel bad guys, I've been pissing this guy off in another thread and his attitude is just spilling over. Probably his "recreational" drug use (see his profile) just catching up with him...

Rave on Foggy, rave on... Absolutely pathetic.

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom